Find a Mates mentor
New to Melbourne and RMIT? Mates at RMIT can give you a great start at uni by connecting student with a mentor.
Mates is accepting applications for 2018
Register now to be connected with an RMIT Mates Student Mentor for semester two.
About Mates at RMIT
Mates at RMIT is a social peer-mentoring program that provides an opportunity for new students (international, local, rural/regional and interstate) to connect with current students.
It’s a great way to settle in to Melbourne and RMIT in your first semester.
What can a mentor do for me?
Mentors know from personal experience what it is like to be a new student.
They are friendly, helpful, approachable current students that are available to you for support.
A mentor is able to take out the stress of being new to RMIT and Melbourne. They will:
- give you guidance with studying at RMIT and living in Melbourne throughout the start of semester
- help build your confidence
- help you get involved in social and cultural activities
- put you in contact with services that can give you advice on achieving academic success.
What should I expect from the Mates at RMIT program?
When joining the program, you should expect:
- an introductory email from your mentor
- guidance from your mentor to help you with getting to know RMIT and living in Melbourne
- social activities and events planned by the Mates at RMIT team leaders (which is a great opportunity to meet other new students).
Mates at RMIT offers activities and events for you to join. You are expected to pay for activities that incur a cost (such as food and cost of tickets); we will let you know ahead of time what these costs are.
What are the expectations of me as a mentee?
Our Mates mentors put in a lot of effort and assistance but you will get the most from the experience if you participate too.
We recommend that you do the following:
- communicate with your mentor, and respond to their introductory email
- ask questions and join in with activities.
How can I sign up?
To sign up as a mentee, all you need to do is register online:
Please advise Mates at RMIT at any stage of the program if you:
- want to be allocated another mentor
- are not receiving any email contact from your mentor
- wish to withdraw from the program.
Email the Mates at RMIT team with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.