Piers K Fowler Trust Scholarship
For final year Associate Degree in Aviation (Professional Pilots) students; worth up to $5000
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian citizen
- be enrolled full time in your final year of the Associate Degree in Aviation (Professional Pilots) (AD023)
- be able to demonstrate academic achievement
- be able to demonstrate financial and/or educational disadvantage such as:
- receiving a Government tested low income benefit or having a Centrelink Health Care Card
- having a long term medical condition or disability which impacts your study
- experiencing difficult family circumstances
- have/will be relocating from interstate or rural/regional Victoria to study at RMIT
- were born overseas, are from a non-English speaking background and recently migrated to Australia
- are a current or former refugee
- completed your secondary education at a School Network Access Program school.
- be passionate about the aviation industry
- not have completed the same level of program or higher, e.g. if you plan to study a Bachelor of Architectural Design, you should not have previously completed another bachelor degree.
The link to the application form will be provided here once applications open.
Depending on your circumstances, you will need to provide different types of evidence and material to support your scholarship application. Applications without supporting documents will not be considered.
Please visit Supporting Your Application for more information.
It is expected that the online application will take approximately thirty minutes to complete. The main application questions are listed below to allow you time to prepare your answers in advance prior to starting the online application.
- Describe your academic performance; in particular discuss any achievements or significant academic results.
- Discuss your passion for studying in the aviation field, including the steps you have taken to achieve your educational goals.
- What are you future plans and career aspirations?
- How do you intend to use this scholarship and how will it assist you to achieve academic success?
- Discuss any difficult circumstances you have faced that have affected your education.
Find out more about applying for scholarships.
The memory of Piers K Fowler and his contribution to Australian aviation lives on through the Piers K Fowler Scholarship.
The Scholarship has been established by the Piers K Fowler Trust and RMIT University to honour Piers’ legacy and to continue what he enjoyed doing most – sharing, teaching and training with anyone who was interested in aviation.
Sadly, Piers died in 2013 at a young age after a period of ill health; however he achieved great success during his short life combining a passion for both aviation and teaching and being an active volunteer in a range of community activities.
Piers had been part of general and commercial aviation for over 20 years. He made his first solo flight out of Moorabbin at the age of 16. He went on to fly commercial freight at night over the Bass Strait, and later flew in the west of the United States. The highlight of Piers’ career was his 15 years at Qantas. Joining Qantas in 1996, he flew the 747, 767 and 737 fleets before becoming Training First Officer, Boeing 737 Fleet. Piers trained both Australian and international pilots of all ranks.
Notice to applicants
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
Only successful candidates will be notified via email to their RMIT student account.