Orcadia Foundation Scholarship
For students who can demonstrate financial and/or educational disadvantage; worth $5000
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or a Permanent Humanitarian visa holder
- be a current or former refugee or were born overseas, are from a non-English speaking background and recently migrated to Australia
- be able to demonstrate financial and/or educational disadvantage such as:
- receiving a Government tested low income benefit or having a Centrelink Health Care Card
- having a long term medical condition or disability which impacts your study
- have previously/are currently living in foster/kinship care or are a ward of the state
- experiencing difficult family/social circumstances
- have/will be relocating from interstate or rural/regional Victoria to study at RMIT
- completed your secondary education at a School Network Access Program school
- be enrolled full-time in the standard semester 1 and 2 in a diploma or degree program at RMIT in 2020
- have at least one year of your program left to complete.
Preference will be given to commencing students who have recently migrated to Australia.
Postgraduate students are ineligible to apply.
Applications can be submitted direct to RMIT or through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) however, it is preferred that you apply direct to RMIT for this scholarship.
Direct to RMIT applications
Complete the online application by the close date. In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must submit a complete online application. Partial applications will not be assessed.
Find out more about applying for scholarships.
Apply online through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) website (www.vtac.edu.au).
Depending on your circumstances, you will need to provide different types of evidence and material to support your scholarship application. Applications without supporting documents will not be considered.
Please visit Supporting Your Application for more information.
You will also need:
- If you are a current or former refugee, you must provide evidence of your refugee status in Australia.
The Orcadia Foundation Scholarship is made available by the generous support of the Orcadia Foundation. The founder of the Orcadia Foundation and his family relocated to Australia from the UK in 1972; it was, in many ways, a seamless transition.
‘We understood the way of life here, we spoke the language and our qualifications were recognised,’ he said.
But the challenge of starting again in a new country motivated the founder to empathise with the difficulties faced by those relocating from very different cultures and environments.
The Orcadia Foundation Scholarship is provided to make the lives of migrant students less of a struggle.
Notice to applicants
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
Only successful candidates will be notified via their RMIT student email account by 31 March 2020. If you have not received an offer by 31 March 2020, your application has been unsuccessful.