On Demand Research Ethics Training
Human Research Ethics Online Training
Human research is "research conducted with or about people, or their data or tissue" (NHMRC, ARC and UA, 2007, updated 2018, p.3). It is important because research with humans contributes greatly to the public good, whether through a clinical trial testing the efficacy of a new vaccine, or a survey seeking to understand how users interact with a new public transport system. Human research also carries inherent risks, which makes it critical to understand how to conduct human research safely and ethically.
This module will cover the responsibilities of researchers and of RMIT as a research institution under the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research and 'the Code' and other codes and legislations.
This online training will enable you to understand and reflect on:
- The origin and purpose of the main sources of guidance that are available on human research in Australia
- What factors help determine whether a study will require approval by a review committee
- Types of information researchers are expected to provide to a review committee
- Questions that a review committee will consider when determining whether a study is ethical
- Continuing researcher responsibilities researchers after a project has been approved
- The ways in which human research can go wrong.
Animal Ethics: Research and Teaching Online Module
If you are carrying out research or teaching activities involving animals, you need to respect and make every effort to support their well-being. This means that your research or teaching must be carefully planned, monitored, carried out and reported on.
This module has been developed to make you aware of the key ethical issues you need to consider and legislation you must follow, and is divided into four parts:
- Key Concepts
- Legal Responsibilities
- Project Design
- Ethics Approval
By the end of this module, you will:
- Understand the importance of animal ethics
- Understand your responsibilities as an investigator when using animals in research and teaching at RMIT
- Know how to design and conduct an ethical project using animals
- Know how to apply for, obtain and keep ethical approval to use in research at RMIT.