RMIT University’s 2022 competition will be a Virtual 3MT, with each participant submitting a video entry.
Competitors will not be judged on video/recording quality or editing capabilities (optional inclusions). Judging will focus on the presentation, ability to communicate research to a non-specialist audience, and 3MT PowerPoint slide.
Candidates will compete in initial School or College heats, and the winners of the School/College heats then competes in the RMIT Final on 31 August, 2022.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through speech (timing does not include the 3MT title slide and commences from when the competitor starts speaking, not the start of the video).
- Videos must meet the following criteria:
- Filmed horizontally
- Filmed on a plain background
- Filmed from a static position
- Filmed from one camera angle
- Contain a 3MT title slide
- Contain a 3MT PowerPoint slide (top right corner/right side/cut to).
- A single static slide is permitted in the presentation (no slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description). This can be visible continuously, or ‘cut to’ (as many times as you like) for a maximum of 1 minute.
- The 3 minute audio must be continuous – no sound edits or breaks.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment or animated backgrounds) are permitted within the recording. Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted within the video recording.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
- Submissions via video format (only video link provided to Event Coordinators). Files sent in other formats will not be accepted.
- Entries submitted for final adjudication to Wildcard or University Final are to be submitted from the school/faculty/institute 3MT Event Coordinator. Competitors should not submit their videos directly to 3MT.