There are several conditions required of students enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP). These conditions are set by the Australian Federal Government under the Higher Education Support Act (HESA)

By enrolling into a CSP, you are accepting these conditions. Failing to meet these conditions will result in your enrolment being cancelled.

What is a Commonwealth Supported Place?

Your fees are subsidised by the Australian Federal Government.  This means part of your fees are paid by the government and the remaining part is paid by you. This is known as your ‘student contribution’. 

The tuition fee amount shown on your invoice is your student contribution. 

If you're not enrolled in a CSP, you are a full-fee paying student, required to pay the full amount of tuition fees.

Is a CSP the same thing as HECS-HELP?

No. A CSP is the subsidised higher education place and HECS-HELP is the loan eligible students can access to pay their student contribution amount. 

The eligibility requirements for a CSP and a HECS-HELP loan are different. While all permanent residents (non-humanitarian subclass) are eligible for CSPs, they are not eligible for a HECS-HELP loan under any circumstances.

What are the requirements of a CSP?

Australian Citizens must reside in Australia for at least one course of study to retain your CSP. New Zealand Citizens must reside in Australia for the duration of your study to be eligible to enrol and study in a CSP.

Before you enrol:

  • You must verify your citizenship status and identity via Enrolment Online.
  • You must complete an online Application for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP form (eCAF) in the government’s eCAF portal (even if you're not eligible to access HECS-HELP)
  • You must provide your verified USI on your eCAF.

This is to demonstrate that you meet the eligibility of accessing a CSP, and acknowledge the conditions you must meet by enrolling in a CSP.

After you enrol:

  • You must pay your student contribution by the due date on your invoice. 


  • You must provide a validated Tax File Number (TFN) by the census date, if you are eligible to access a HECS-HELP loan and want to defer your fees.

What happens if I don’t meet the requirements of my CSP?

1. Payment

If you fail to make payment of your student contribution by the census date, RMIT is required to cancel your enrolment. 

There are no due date extensions for payment of your student contribution. Late payments cannot be accepted.

2. HECS-HELP application

If you're eligible to access a HECS-HELP loan, you must supply your validated TFN by the census date. If you don't want to access HECS-HELP, you must pay your student contribution.

If you fail to provide your TFN and have not made payment, RMIT is required to cancel your enrolment.

3. HELP loan limit

If you have an approved HECS-HELP loan for your program, you can only borrow up to the combined HELP limit. If your fees exceed the limit, you must pay your remaining student contribution amount by the census date.

If you fail to make payment of your student contribution by the census date, RMIT is required to cancel your enrolment.

What happens if my enrolment is cancelled?

If your enrolment is cancelled for not meeting the requirements of the HESA, the fees associated with your enrolments will be removed. However, you will be unable to resume your studies until the next study period. 

If your enrolment is cancelled twice for failing to meet these requirements, you will not be able to re-enrol in your program in the next study period. To continue with your studies, you must then reapply for a place in a CSP.