Qualitative research techniques
PhD Up program
This seminar enables higher degree by research candidates to explore and employ a range of data collection and analysis techniques to support and conduct advanced research and create new knowledge.
In this session you will:
- Further develop your knowledge of the key approaches to qualitative research including, but not limited to: interviewing, observation and action research;
- Deepen your understanding of the range of data collection and analysis techniques common to these key approaches;
- Have the opportunity to collect and analyse data using one or more of these data collection and analysis techniques and produce high-level written accounts of findings;
- Learn how to use appropriate technology to support data collection and analysis;
- Refine your critical and creative thinking skills in the application of one or more of these techniques and gain insight into the issues of using them in professional research practice;
- Critically engage with debates about the validity and robustness of these data collection and analysis techniques, as well as their practical dimensions.
By the end of this session you will be able to:
- Critically evaluate one or more techniques and their appropriateness for various kinds of research projects;
- Assess the practical implications of implementing different data collection and analysis techniques and be able to write informed research project plans using these techniques;
- Produce high-level reports of research findings derived from the use of one or more data collection and analysis techniques;
- Engage in informed discussions and debates about research analysis techniques and their application in practice.
Higher degree by research candidates who have completed the research methods course specific to their discipline and want to learn more about qualitative research approaches. Early Career Researchers are welcome to attend.