Writing a research proposal
This short course provides an introduction to writing and presenting your research proposal for Confirmation of Candidature. It focuses on the elements of a research proposal, taking into account specific disciplinary requirements. It features a project-based learning model in which participants work on their research proposal draft and presentation with the benefit of peer and instructor feedback and support.
- Videos of highly experienced researchers discussing what they look for in a research proposal.
- A project-based learning model in which participants focus on academic writing while drafting their research proposal and giving a short online presentation.
- A flexible online format offering self-paced learning, moderated discussion and peer-to-peer based learning.
Upon completing this course participants will be able to:
- understand the purpose and importance of the research proposal
- understand the structure and components of a research proposal in their discipline
- draft a problem statement and research questions
- prepare and present an authoritative presentation of their research proposal.
Participants undertake three key learning activities during the course by:
- regularly contributing to the discussion forum
- drafting and refining their research proposal according to guidelines from their discipline and providing feedback to peers through the writing forum
- preparing a presentation of their research proposal and presenting a summary of this online.
Note: to successfully complete the course and receive a certificate of recognition, all learning activities need to be completed.
To complete this short course, participants will need to be working towards their Confirmation of Candidature.
Dr Judy Maxwell, Senior Coordinator, HDR/Research support, Study & Learning Centre
Dr Ken Manson, Learning Advisor, Study & Learning Centre
Dr Jen Anderson, Learning Advisor, Study & Learning Centre
The total time commitment for this module is 8 hours on-screen engagement over the 4 weeks (through 4 modules) and self-paced work at your own discretion.
Offered several times each year. Contact Judy Maxwell for date of next session.
Register or further information
Contact: Dr Judy Maxwell