Confirmation of candidature
Your candidature is considered ‘probationary’ until you successfully complete your confirmation of candidature, the first milestone in your Higher Degree by Research (HDR) program.
It’s a way for you and your supervisory team to assess your progress and to fine-tune your research support. It is also an opportunity for you to gain valuable experience in presenting your work in a supportive environment.
Your presentation for your confirmation of candidature milestone must occur within your milestone window. Your ‘milestone due date’ is the last day of your milestone window and you should plan to present well before this date. If you are a:
- PhD candidate, you must complete your confirmation of candidature between 0.5 and 1 EFTSL (between 6 and 12 months after your commencement date if you are enrolled full-time or between 12 and 24 months if you are part-time).
- Masters by Research candidate, you must complete your confirmation of candidature between 0.25 and 0.5 EFTSL after your research commencement date (between 3 and 6 months if you are enrolled full-time or 6 and 12 months if you are part time).
You will receive automated reminders about your milestone due date.
If your milestone review presentation has not already been scheduled when you receive your first reminder, contact your supervisors or HDR Administrator to discuss this.
As part of your confirmation of candidature you’ll produce a written research proposal and present your research to your Review Panel and wider research community. You can find information about the presentation, milestone outcomes and what happens if you are not able to meet your milestone within your milestone window on the milestone page.
The written component for this milestone is a detailed research proposal clearly outlining the research questions you’ll be pursuing and situating your work within the broader scholarly literature.
Your research proposal must contain:
- your thesis/project title
- a summary of your research
- the rationale, objectives and research questions that you are planning to focus on
- how the proposed project will be undertaken (methodology)
- an explanation of how your research is situated in the context of your discipline or community of practice
- an initial review of literature and references
- an outline/summary of your progress against your research plan
You also need to provide evidence that you have been granted ethics approval, if you require ethics approval for your research, and that you have completed, are currently enrolled in or have been exempted from your Research Methods or Strategies course.
If you have submitted an ethics application but you have not yet been granted approval, your confirmation of candidature may be placed on hold until your ethics approval is granted.
Your school or discipline may have additional requirements for this milestone. It is very strongly recommended that you discuss this with your supervisory team and/or HDR Coordinator before submitting your documentation for this milestone.
You must submit the written component of your confirmation of candidature to your supervisors and HDR Administrator at least 15 days before your milestone presentation. This is to ensure that it can be distributed to and reviewed by your panel before your presentation.
Exemption from confirmation of candidature can only be granted where you have transferred between HDR programs at the same level, and can provide evidence of successful completion of confirmation of candidature in the previous program.
This applies if you are transferring between schools at RMIT, or transferring to RMIT from another institution.