RMIT recognises your right to raise concerns and complaints about academic, administrative and support services without fear of a negative outcome or reprisal. We consider the addressing of complaints to be an important part of RMIT’s commitment to continuous review and improvement.

However, before you lodge a complaint, please read the following information to determine:

  • whether you have an issue, a concern or a complaint
  • whether your complaint can be dealt with by the Complaints Resolution Policy, or whether there is another more suitable policy or process in place at RMIT.

An issue is an enquiry, request, feedback or general query in connection with any aspect of RMIT which you have not yet tried to resolve. If you are unsure where to go or who to contact to resolve your issue, you can find useful information and assistance by clicking below.

RMIT acknowledges sometimes things can go wrong and you may be dissatisfied with:

  • a decision, action or lack of either of these by RMIT
  • the behaviour of an RMIT student or staff member.

Before lodging a complaint about this dissatisfaction, you should try to resolve your concern informally by contacting the most appropriate area or person within RMIT. This is often the quickest and most convenient way to resolve a concern. If you are unable to resolve your concern informally, or if you feel it is not appropriate to attempt an informal resolution, you should then consider lodging a formal complaint. You can find further information and advice about how to resolve your concern informally here.

A complaint is an unresolved concern. Before lodging a complaint, you should try to resolve your concern informally.  If you do not, your complaint may be referred for an informal resolution before it can be accepted as a formal complaint. This is likely to delay any resolution. You can find further information and advice about how to lodge a formal complaint here.

What is outside the scope of the Complaints Resolution Policy?

There are some categories of complaints that cannot be considered according to the Complaints Resolution Policy and/or the Student or Third-Party Complaints Policy Process. This is because there are other policies and processes in place within RMIT designed to deal with these.

For example, a decision made under College, University Appeals, Student Conduct or assessment processes cannot be challenged via a complaint. There are separate appeals or review processes for these matters, and you should use the relevant appeals or review process if you are unhappy with an outcome and wish to challenge the decision.

You may make a complaint regarding any aspect of the appeal or review process as long as it does not relate to the decision - only the related appeal or review process is able to change the outcome. Please contact the complaints team if you require advice: telephone +61 3 9925 8863 or email

RMIT Training RMIT Training student complaints and appeals process (under development)    
RMIT partner institutions     RMIT English Worldwide complaints and appeals process (to be developed)    
Admission Admission and Credit Policy    
Credit transfer
Recognition of prior learning
Assessment Assessment, Academic Progress and Appeals Regulations
Academic progress and results
Special consideration     Assessment and Assessment Flexibility Policy    
Student conduct Student Conduct Policy    
Academic conduct
 Research Conduct

Research misconduct policy process

Human research ethics policy process

Animal ethics policy process

Research involving GMOs policy process

RMIT employee recruitment Contact RMIT Human Resources for the relevant complaints process and guidance materials.

The RMIT Policy Library contains a copy of all RMIT policy and process documents.