Before you submit a complaint, find out if this is the best process to resolve your specific issue. 

Step 1: Try to resolve your enquiry or concern informally

If possible, try to resolve your concern at a local level. This will enable it to be resolved as quickly as possible. 

If it isn’t appropriate to follow this step, for example if you don’t feel comfortable contacting staff in your school, go to Step 2: Submit a formal complaint.

Who should I contact?

If your concern relates to the delivery of academic, administrative or support services, contact the area or staff member responsible. This may be a lecturer, course coordinator or program director, or a University department such as Property Services. You may choose to raise your concern in person or in writing.

If you’re unsure who to contact to resolve your issue, contact the student complaints team: 

  • Call: +61 3 9925 8863 or 
  • Email:

Step 2:  Submit a formal complaint

If your concern isn’t resolved informally to your satisfaction, or there’s a compelling reason why you can’t raise your concern at a local level, you can submit a formal complaint online.

Please provide the following information when you submit your complaint:

  • Details of the steps you've taken to try and resolve your complaint.
  • A clear explanation of the outcome you are seeking.
  • Copies of all relevant supporting documentation and evidence.

What happens next?

Your complaint will be assigned to a Complaints Case Manager for investigation. The Case Manager may ask you for additional information or advise that your complaint has been referred for an informal resolution before it can be accepted as a formal complaint. 

You can normally expect to receive written acknowledgement within three working days of submission.

If your submission is accepted as a formal complaint you can normally expect to receive:

  • regular updates on the progress of the investigation
  • prompt written notification, including reasons, where the complaint is expected to take more than 60 calendar days to resolve.

When the investigation is complete you’ll receive a formal written outcome within 20 working days of receipt of all relevant information (please note that complex cases are likely to take longer). The written notification will include advice about how to request an internal independent review if you’re not satisfied with the outcome.

Review process

If you're not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you may be able to request a review. There are two review stages: internal and external. 

If you’re not satisfied with the complaint outcome, you may be able to request an internal independent review of your complaint.

To request a review, you must be able to show you meet ONE of the following criteria: 

  1. You can provide evidence of an error in the investigation and decision.
  2. You can provide evidence that was not previously available, and which would have been a significant factor in deciding the outcome.
  3. You can present a compelling argument that the original outcome is unreasonable. Unreasonableness may include, but is not limited to, the following considerations:           
  • relevance (of information taken into account)
  • comprehensiveness (consideration of all evidence provided)
  • justification (provision of reasons for conclusions reached)
  • timeliness (in the handling of the complaint and its impact on the complainant)
  • consistency (with standards and values of the University), and
  • proportionality (reasonableness of the outcome given the complainant’s circumstances).

For example, you may point out errors of fact or reasoning in the outcome, you may wish to dispute evidence provided in the outcome, or there may be evidence you believe was not taken into account and should have been.

What happens next?

Your request will be assigned to a new Complaints Case Manager to complete the review. The Case Manager will check you have provided evidence to show you meet the grounds for a review, and:

  • if not, will write to you explaining why you have not met the grounds for review
  • if so, will complete the review.

You'll receive a formal written notice of the review outcome when the Case Manager has completed it.  

If you believe the outcome of your complaint is unreasonable, you may be able to pursue the matter with an external body; for example the Victorian Ombudsman.

The Victorian Ombudsman investigates complaints about decisions made by state government departments and authorities, including universities. As with other stages of the RMIT complaints process, the Victorian Ombudsman is impartial and does not act on behalf of students or universities.

Before submitting a review request to the Victorian Ombudsman, you should follow the steps laid out in the relevant university process. If you have not followed these steps, the Victorian Ombudsman may ask you to do so before accepting your complaint.

The Ombudsman will seek to determine whether you have been treated reasonably by RMIT and may recommend remedial action if appropriate.

Contact the Victorian Ombudsman

  • Email:
  • Call: 1800 806 314 or 03 9613 6222

Contacts and help

If you need more information, have a look at our Complaints FAQs. Otherwise, the following teams and services can provide advice and support. 

RUSU - RMIT University Student Union

You can seek independent advice, information and assistance with your complaint from RUSU's Student Rights Service

  • Email
  • Call 03 9925 5004


Student support

Safer Community

If you’re feeling unsafe or unsure what to do about threatening or unwanted behaviour, including sexual harassment or assault, you can talk to Safer Community about your concerns and options.

Student complaints team

The Complaints team can answer your questions about the RMIT complaints process.

  • Email:
  • Call: +61 3 9925 8863