Giving notice

The fact sheets linked to below are produced by the Tenants Union of Victoria.
  • Check your lease agreement to determine the amount of notice you are required to give. In most cases you are required to give 28 days notice.
    When you want to leave fact sheet (PDF, 44kb)
  • Leaving before the end of a fixed-term lease agreement means you are breaking a lease and you may be liable to continue paying rent until new tenants are found and for other costs.
  • You may want to transfer your lease to another person. This is known as assigning your lease. Assigning a Lease fact sheet (PDF, 46kb)
  • A tenant is sub-letting if they transfer a part of their tenancy obligations to another person. In this situation, the original tenant becomes the “head tenant” and acts as the landlord to the sub-tenant. Subletting is not allowed without the landlord’s permission. Subletting fact sheet (PDF, 46kb)
  • Consider temporary accommodation for up to one week before you leave as this will allow you time to vacate your property, follow up on any outstanding issues with the landlord and get your bond back.

When you have been asked to leave

The landlord can request you to leave your property for a variety of reasons, but the time they allow you to vacate must reflect the reasons for serving a notice. The time on the notice should be valid. If you have been given a Notice to Vacate and need advice about your rights, talk to a Student Support Advisor at RMIT Connect.

Finalising utilities

  • Contact utilities companies a minimum of three business days before leaving to request a final meter reading and disconnection.
  • To pay the final utility bills you will need to provide the utility company with a forwarding address. It is easy to have your mail redirected through Australia Post.
  • Arrange to have any utilities that are connected in your name transferred into the name of another tenant if you are living in share accommodation.

Before you move out

  • Take any remaining property with you. Your landlord can charge you for the professional removal of any items left at the property.
  • To get your bond back, leave the property in the same condition as when you moved in.
  • Decide to sell or donate your furniture.
  • If you are leaving Melbourne, send items home ahead of time.

For further information on your responsibilities when moving out read the Ending a Tenancy fact sheet (PDF 36kb).

Bond recovery

  • Prepare for the final property inspection. Photographic evidence can be useful should there be any disputes or claims made against your bond by the landlord/agent.
  • If the property requires cleaning or if there is damage, you will need to organise cleaning, repairs or agree to have the outstanding amount taken from your bond.
  • If you are transferring your tenancy then you should complete a Transfer of Bond form, the Consumer Affairs Victoria website provides instruction on how to do this. This is applicable to assignment of your lease, or where you are departing a share house with an incoming tenant. Follow the step-by-step guide to Bond Recovery (PDF 42kb).