Cutting down on alcohol, cigarettes and other drugs
What are the benefits of cutting down?
- You'll feel much healthier.
- You’ll feel a greater sense of control over your life – that you have choices you can make.
- If you cut down on your consumption you'll save money.
- You'll be able to get much fitter.
- You’ll improve your mental wellbeing.
What you can do
- Get advice from your doctor, nurse or other healthcare professional – this may be all you need to change your behaviour.
- Pair up with a friend who is also trying to stop.
- Temporarily avoiding being near behaviour you are trying to change. This may mean taking a short break from some events or friends.
- Some people have also found success with acupuncture and hypnotherapy.
- Get help from one of the following online resources or telephone support services.