Symptoms of depression
- a sense of hopelessness and loss of motivation
- ongoing feelings of sadness
- low energy and ongoing tiredness
- negative thoughts
- avoiding situations
- sleeping too much or not enough
- loss of appetite or comfort eating
- feeling alone
- withdrawal from people and things you used to enjoy
- difficulty concentrating
- thoughts that life is too hard.
What you can do
Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) is effective in helping people overcome anxiety. Reduce your anxiety by registering and completing Mental Health Online – a 12 week program for mild to moderate anxiety you can do on your own for free, or if your anxiety is more severe, for a small weekly fee you can receive additional email support from a counsellor.
Apps that help
- Practice slowing down your thoughts through mindfulness with Smiling Mind (iOS).
- Improve your mood with Mood Kit (iOS).
- Let go of depressive thoughts with the ACT Companion (iOS and Android).
- Do a little exercise each day, gradually increasing it with Couch to 5K (iOS)
- Look at your diet, small changes can increase positive mood.
- Do activities that are pleasurable to help you feel better.
- Reach out to friends and your supports, let them know how you are feeling, and do something enjoyable with them.
Because Depression can lead to thinking and behaviour that is harmful, if your mood does not improve, it is important to seek help.