Tax Help is a free, confidential service for all students. It is run by ATO-trained and accredited RMIT student volunteers to help you sort through your tax troubles and give you tips for lodging your tax return online.

Tax Help is available Monday to Friday from 19 July - 31 October. You can meet with a student voluteer face-to-face on City campus or online via Microsoft Teams.

Who is eligible?

You are eligible to access Tax Help if your income is less than $60,000 and you do not:

  • Run or own your own business or partnership
  • Work as a contractor (e.g. Uber driver)
  • Receive any royalties or income from overseas
  • Receive income from a trust
  • Sell shares or own investment properties

How do I book?

Log in and select 'Tax Help' from the drop down menu.

How do I prepare for my appointment?

There are some step you will need to complete and documents you should have to get the most out of your Tax Help appointment.
You will need a myGov account to lodge your tax return online. If you do not have a myGov account, register at Or ask for help to register at your appointment.

Bring the below documents (where applicable) to your appointment:

  • Your myGov user ID and password and mobile phone for SMS code (two factor security authentication)
  • Your tax file number
  • An original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years
  • Your BSB and bank account details
  • Your Medicare card or number

In order to lodge your tax return, you will also need to bring the documents below (where applicable to you):

  • Private health insurance statement showing fund details
  • All statements from banks and financial institutions showing interest received during the income year
  • All payment summaries from superannuation fund(s)
  • Details of all income from Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs (including details of any tax-free pensions or benefits)
  • All dividend, super and managed fund statements
  • All foreign income details and pension statements or details of the amounts received
  • All receipts for gifts, donations, and work-related expenses
  • Details of any child support payments made
  • Details of any losses on investments in shares and rental properties (net investment losses).
  • Details of spouse’s (married or de facto) taxable income and documents

During your appointment we may need to help you call the ATO. If so, you may need at least three of these extra documents:

  • Medicare card 
  • Australian driver license or learner's permit
  • Australian passport or Overseas passport with Australian visa
  • Birth certificate
  • Australian marriage certificate (issued by Births Deaths and Marriages)
  • Australian citizenship certificate
  • Immicard
  • Change of name certificate
  • Recent correspondence from the ATO
  • Previous tax return not more than 5 years old
  • Centrelink CRN (Customer reference number)
  • Superannuation account statement

Please note: Medicare, driver’s licence, and learners permit cannot be used together for proof of identity.

If you are experiencing financial hardship, RMIT is here to help. For more information and advice please contact a Student Support Advisor at Student Connect. For more on financial advice please visit our financial support and assistance page.