While we aim to provide assistance to as many students as possible, we usually cannot offer ongoing assistance in individual cases. We do not provide court representation but can offer appropriate referrals.

Legal matters we can help with

We offer free and confidential legal information and advice on a wide-range of issues including:

  • fines, including public transport, driving and parking fines
  • traffic accidents and driving problems
  • renting and tenancy
  • employment law
  • criminal law and police powers
  • consumer and debt matters.

Our lawyer can provide the following legal assistance:

  • legal information and referrals provided by email to assist students in resolving their own legal problems
  • one-off legal advice (this means the lawyer explains the law as it relates to your legal problem, outlines your legal options and may guide you in pursuing your legal options)
  • casework support in limited circumstances (this may involve writing letters on your behalf and helping with negotiations, etc.). When you first speak to the lawyer you will be advised as to how much assistance can be provided.

Legal matters we cannot help with

We do not provide legal assistance in the following situations:

  • legal matters against RMIT
  • legal matters against other RMIT students
  • where the service had previously acted for the other party in a related matter
  • court appearances related to any matter – depending on your circumstances our lawyer may provide a referral to Victoria Legal Aid, pro-bono legal assistance or other low cost legal options
  • property law (e.g. conveyancing)
  • commercial law (e.g. setting up a business)
  • migration law
  • family law (e.g. arrangements for children, property settlements, child protection matters)
  • mediation
  • wills
  • intellectual property (e.g. trademark or copyright law)
  • academic matters.

For legal matters we cannot help with please read our legal services information for other sources of legal help. If you still require assistance please contact us for a referral.