Certifying documents

Find someone who is authorised to certify your documents.

Consumer Law

Contact Consumer Affairs Victoria on 1300 55 81 81 to report consumer complaints and scams.

Consumer Action Law Centre, a community legal centre, provides free legal advice and representation, to consumers across Victoria.

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman is a fast, free and fair service that helps resolve telephone and internet complaints.

Credit and Debt

Are you managing your finances well? If not, then a financial counsellor at the Financial and Consumer Rights Council will be able to assist you or contact a Student Support Advisor at RMIT Connect.

Financial Ombudsman Service provides accessible, fair and independent dispute resolution for disputes with involving financial services including banking, credit, loans, general insurance, life insurance, financial planning, investments, stock broking, managed funds and pooled superannuation trusts.


If you are being discriminated against or just wanting to know more about the Human Rights Charter or the Equal Opportunity Act the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission is the organisation to contact.

If you need advice about disability discrimination legal matters, make an appointment to speak to someone at Disability Discrimination Legal Service on (03) 9654 8644.

Employment Rights

To know more about pay, leave, complaints or entitlements, the Fair Work Ombudsman is the organisation to contact.

Jobwatch is an Employment Rights Legal Centre which provides a free and confidential telephone information and referral service to Victorian workers about their rights at work. 

Due to funding cuts, callers may experience delays in speaking to an advisor.  Melbourne residents: (03) 9662 1933, Country Victorian residents: 1800 331 617

Family (domestic violence/relationship breakdown/ sexual assault)

If you have been the victim of violent crime, the Victims Support Agency provides practical assistance to help you recover from the effects of crime and links responses by police, justice and other services.

If you are experiencing relationship breakdown or violence against women, the Women’s Legal Service Victoria provides legal service for women and can be contacted on (03) 9642 0877.

Freedom of Information

You can access to documents about your personal affairs and the University’s activities or request that incorrect or misleading information held by the University about you be amended or removed by making a Freedom of Information request.

To access your information held by government departments, local councils, public hospitals, statutory authorities and boards; you can submit a Freedom of Information request on the Victorian Freedom of Information website - there is a fee required for this service.


The Department of Immigration and Border Protection provides general information in relation to immigration law matters.

The Refugee and Immigration Legal Centre provides advice about refugee and immigration law. Free telephone advice (9413 0100) is available Wednesday 10am–4pm and Friday 2pm–4pm.

If you are new to Australia, a migrant or a refugee and need support to settle and participate in community life, contact Spectrum Migrant Resource Centre on 9496 0200

Indigenous Issues

Assistance and support because of family violence or sexual assault is available at the Aboriginal Family and Violence Prevention and Legal Services (Victoria). Telephone 9244 3333 or free call 1800 102 303.

The Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service Co-operative Limited provides legal advice and representation in court. Call them free on 1800 064 865.

Intellectual Property

For free legal advice in relation to intellectual property matters, contact the Arts Law Centre of Victoria.


If you are having problems with claiming on your insurance or need advice on resolving a dispute with an insurer contact the Insurance Law Service after reading about their services.

Mental Health

The Mental Health Legal Centre provides a free and confidential legal service to anyone who has experienced mental illness in Victoria where their legal problem relates to their mental illness.

Neighbour and Home disputes

When you have a dispute with a neighbour the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria can provide you with a range of free, confidential dispute resolution services which is often a cheaper, fairer and simpler alternative to taking disputes through the courts.

Powers of Attorney and wills

There are four different powers of attorney and the Office of the Public Advocate can provide you with the information you need to know.

Social Security / Centrelink

Contact Centrelink about your payments entitlements or to review a decision.

If you are having problems with Centrelink, speak with a Student Support Advisor at RMIT Connect or Social Security Rights Victoria who can be contacted for telephone advice on (03) 9416 1111.


If you are renting and having problems with your landlord you may want to contact the Tenants Union of Victoria for telephone or drop in legal advice.

Also, speak with a Student Support Advisor at RMIT Connect who can assist with common tenancy issues

Other useful sites

  • Free general information over the telephone about the law and how Victoria Legal Aid can help you. It’s open Monday to Friday, 8.45 am to 5.15 pm. Call on (03) 9269 0120 or 1800 677 402
  • Youthlaw which provides free legal information and advice for young people up to 25 years,
  • Federation of Community Legal Centres to find a local community legal service by postcode.
  • Ombudsman Victoria investigates complaints about state government departments, most statutory authorities and local government.