Cedar Pacific Indigenous Accommodation Scholarship
For Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students who need to relocate to study at RMIT in Melbourne; provides assistance for student accommodation
In 2022 the scholarship will be paid as a rental subsidy for a standard studio at UniLodge Royal Melbourne for up to three years.
For students who can demonstrate financial disadvantage, the full weekly cost is subsidised by this scholarship (worth $17,420).
For applicants who cannot demonstrate financial disadvantage a student contribution is required ($6240 per year).
- if you are going to study at Bundoora campus, please be aware that it can take over 1.5 hours to travel by public transport from the city and is not a suitable accommodation option. Please instead review the UniLodge@ RMIT Bundoora Accommodation Scholarship
To be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- be an Australian citizen
- be relocating from interstate or rural/regional Victoria to study at RMIT in semester 1 2022 for the first time
- be commencing full time study in the standard semester 1 2022 in a certificate IV, diploma, degree or postgraduate by coursework program at RMIT
- have not commenced or completed the same or higher level of award
- register with RMIT’s Ngarara Willim Centre and provide documentation showing that you are an Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander by the application close date
If you are a certificate IV or diploma student you must:
- not be in an apprenticeship or traineeship program.
Applications can be submitted direct to RMIT or through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) however, it is preferred that you apply direct to RMIT for this scholarship.
Direct to RMIT applications
The online application form will be made available here when applications open. In order to be considered for this scholarship, you must submit a complete online application. Partial applications will not be assessed.
Find out more about applying for scholarships.
Apply online through the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC) website (www.vtac.edu.au).
Before you begin your application, please visit Supporting Your Application for more information about supporting your application with evidence and answering application questions. This also website also provides what are suitable forms of evidence for demonstrating financial disadvantage.
If you are applying as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person you are required to establish eligibility for this scholarship by providing supporting documentation confirming that you are an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander. Submit your documentation direct to RMIT’s Ngarara Willim Centre Centre via firstname.lastname@example.org by the application close date. Information on suitable forms of confirmation documentation can be found on Ngarara Willim’s eligibility website: https://www.rmit.edu.au/students/support-and-facilities/student-support/aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander-students/eligibility
View the Coursework Scholarships Office’s terms and conditions.
The scholarship does not cover food, internet, telephone, bond, bed and kitchen packs, activities, parking or departure cleaning fees.
Bond: Students will be required to pay a bond of $1455 (2022 rate) to UniLodge Royal Melbourne prior to moving in. This will be lodged with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority (RTBA). The bond is refundable at the end of the lease period following the receipt of the bond claim form, studio inspection and clearance of all relevant payments to UniLodge Royal Melbourne.
Students will also be charged an exit cleaning fee.
If you are paying rent and want to cancel your lease agreement, you are required to continue paying all your rent charges until a new resident can be secured or the contract ends, whichever comes first.
Notice to applicants
The scholarship application process is highly competitive with a limited number of scholarships available. Unfortunately, not all eligible applicants will receive one.
Only successful candidates will be notified via their RMIT student email account.