Changing your enrolment as a sponsored student

Changes to your studies can affect your student visa and your sponsorship.

Changing to another RMIT program

As an international student, you are eligible to change programs within RMIT University. However, being a sponsored student, changing programs may have implications on your sponsorship. When you are considering a change, it is important that you discuss it first with the Sponsorships Development Team including with your sponsor.

You should apply online to change program. The Sponsorships Development Team will liaise with your sponsor for the approval.

Extending your student visa

As a sponsored student, if you do not complete the program by the sponsorship end date indicated in the Financial Guarantee, it is your responsibility to contact the sponsor to lodge an extension request (except Australia Awards students). On the extension request being approved, a new Financial Guarantee will need to be provided for the extended time by your sponsor.

To renew your student visa, you need to apply for a new electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE).

Once you receive a new eCOE you could refer to Visa renewal process webpage on how to renew your student visa.

Leave of absence

As a sponsored student you must get approval from your sponsor to defer your scholarship.The Sponsorships Development Team can help you seek the support of your sponsor.

You will need to provide evidence of your sponsor's approval with your leave of absence application. 

Your leave will also need to be authorised by International Compliance and then approved by your Head of School.

Find out how to apply for leave of absence.

If you are granted leave of absence, you must leave Australia within 28 days. If you are away for more than six months, your visa may be cancelled.

Please contact the Department of Home Affairs for information about your visa before submitting a leave of absence application.

Changing to another education provider

As a sponsored student, if you wish to cancel your program at RMIT and transfer to another education provider, you must provide written confirmation or a new financial guarantee from your sponsor that they consider the change to be in your best interest.

To apply for a release from RMIT you must complete Application to Transfer Education Provider

Once a release is granted, RMIT will cancel your program enrolment.

Find out transferring to another education provider.

More information

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nations on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business.