Master of Medical PhysicsProgram details
You will study a range of physical sciences with specific applications in medicine such as radiotherapy and imaging.
A strong emphasis will be placed on the protection of workers, patients and staff from harmful effects of radiation.
You will develop specialist knowledge and skills in the field of medical physics. This includes quantitative measurement and evaluation of radiation exposure for its safe use by staff for the benefit of patients.
Medical physicists are employed clinically in the fields of:
- medical imaging
- nuclear medicine
- associated research and regulatory activities of non-hospital institutions
You’ll develop the skills to critically evaluate and optimise the performance of medical equipment and procedures.
You will use your problem-solving abilities to analyse outputs, diagnose problems and provide quality assurance for patient treatments.
With initiative and a high degree of independence, you’ll be instrumental in the evaluation and implementation of new technologies and in the translation of research into professional practice.
You’ll become an important advisor to a team of professionals including oncologists, radiologists, therapists, technologists, and biomedical engineers.
How you will learn
The Master of Medical Physics consists of 192 credit points. After completing 96 credit points of study approved by the program manager, you may exit with a graduate diploma.
Approximately 75 per cent (144 credit points) of the program consists of coursework components. The remaining 25 per cent (48 credit points) consists of a research project.
The project is conducted over two semesters to build and develop close partnerships with industry collaborators.
The research project will be assessed partially via a submitted thesis.
In your final year, you'll be assisted by an industry consultant as a co-supervisor and complete a research project relevant to an industry or clinical setting.
The following is an example of courses offered:
- Radiotherapy Physics and Modelling
- Medical Imaging Physics
- Advanced Medical Imaging
- Human Structure and Function
- Radiation Physics and Radiation Protection
- Radiobiology for Medical Physicists
- Introduction to the Principles and Practice of Radiotherapy Treatment Planning
- Research Methods
- Research Project
You'll study courses that provide understanding of advanced physics such as radiation, electromagnetics, quantum physics, optics, photonics, and nuclear physics, as well as radiobiology and basic human biology, structure and function.
The technical aspects of medical physics will be covered in courses concerning medical imaging, radiotherapy and radiation transport modelling.
You’ll also apply your knowledge in courses related to radiation measurement, radiation protection and radiotherapy dosimetry.
Meet Rick Franich: expert in medical physics
As well as teaching the next generation of medical physicists, Associate Professor Rick Franich is developing new techniques to accurately measure radiation doses for the treatment of cancer.
Kar Mun Leong
Kar Mun Leong took a path less travelled after graduating with a science degree at RMIT when she decided to further her study in the field of medical physics.