Bachelor of Biomedical ScienceEntry requirements
Successful completion of an Australian Year 12 senior secondary certificate of education or equivalent.
RMIT is committed to admissions transparency. View the 2017 ATAR distribution information for our degrees and information about how admissions work at RMIT.
You must have successfully completed an Australian Year 12 (or equivalent senior secondary school qualification) with a minimum 65% average (check calculator below).
Equivalent qualifications may also include completion of the RMIT Foundation Studies program or a recognised post secondary diploma in the relevant discipline with the required grades.
Meeting the minimum academic requirements does not guarantee entry. Your application will still need to be assessed and accepted.
Chemistry and Mathematics or Physics; or
VCE Units 3 and 4 in Chemistry and one of Mathematics (any) or Physics, with study scores of at least 20.
English language requirements
- IELTS (Academic): minimum overall band of 6.5 (with no individual band below 6.0)
- TOEFL (Paper Based Test): minimum score of 580 (TWE 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet Based Test - IBT): minimum overall score of 92 (with minimum of 20 in all sections)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE (A)): minimum score of 58 (with no communication band less than 50)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): minimum of 176 with no less than 169 in any component
For detailed information on English language requirements and other proficiency tests recognised by RMIT, visit English language requirements and equivalency information.
Don't meet the English language test scores? Complete an Advanced Plus Certificate at RMIT English Worldwide.
Form: Non-Year 12 applicants may submit additional information if they would like it to be considered.
- For semester 1 intake, this can be completed through the VTAC Personal Statement online.
- For semester 2 intake, this can be completed through the personal statement in the Apply Direct application.
Graduates of the RMIT Associate Degree in Applied Science who achieve a grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 out of 4.0 are guaranteed entry with credit of one year and up to 120 credit points. Graduates with a GPA of less than 2.0 can still apply and may be eligible for credit if successful in gaining a place.
Graduates of the following programs who achieve a GPA of at least 2.0 out of 4.0 may receive up to one year's credit into this program:
You are guaranteed entry to the Bachelor of Biomedical Science from a range of RMIT programs. Successful completion and the grades you achieve determine the amount of credit you will receive.
If you achieve a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the Associate Degree in Applied Science Biomedical Sciences major, you will receive 2 semesters of advanced standing (equivalent to 120 credit points).
If you achieve a minimum GPA of 2.0 in either of the following programs, you will receive 2 semesters of advanced standing (equivalent to 96 credit points):
- Diploma of Laboratory Technology (Biotechnology)
- Diploma of Laboratory Technology (Pathology Testing)
Coming from a partner institution?
RMIT has pathway arrangements with many partner institutions around the world.
If your institution has a pathway arrangement with RMIT you may be able to receive credit and reduce the time it will take to complete your preferred RMIT program.
If you have qualifications from an institution that is not an RMIT partner, credit into your RMIT program will be assessed on a case by case basis.
When you successfully complete this program you may be eligible for entry to the Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Honours).