Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
You must have successfully completed an Australian Year 12 (or equivalent senior secondary school qualification) with a minimum 65% average (check calculator below).
Equivalent qualifications may also include completion of the RMIT Foundation Studies program or a recognised post-secondary diploma in the relevant discipline with the required grades.
Meeting the minimum academic requirements does not guarantee entry. Your application will still need to be assessed and accepted.
Selection tasks for international students
You must complete and submit the 2018 Creative Writing selection kit by the extended deadline of Friday 8 December.
- VTAC applicants must register and submit the kit
The pre-selection kit comprises:
- a statement of up to 500 words outlining your interest in and background in creative writing, reading and/or film analysis, and how this has prepared you for this program; and
- a statement of up to 500 words outlining your approach to creative writing, which may include reference to ideas and theories that inform your practice and future writing ambitions; and
- three to four different pieces of creative writing (a combination of fiction or non-fiction, prose, poetry, script, essay) up to 3000 words in total.
English language requirements
To study this program you will need to complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- IELTS (Academic): minimum overall band of 6.5 (with no individual band below 6.0)
- TOEFL (Paper Based Test): minimum score of 580 (TWE 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet Based Test - IBT): minimum overall score of 92 (with minimum of 20 in all sections)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE (A)): minimum score of 58 (with no communication band less than 50)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): minimum of 176 with no less than 169 in any component.
Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) Units 3 and 4: a study score of at least 32 in any English.
You must complete and submit the Creative Writing pre-selection kit by the extended deadline of Friday 8 December. Advisory letters will be emailed in mid-December.
- VTAC applicants register and submit the selection kit here.
- RMIT current or recent students you will receive an email prompt to complete the selection kit when you submit your direct application.
Applicants who have successfully completed the Associate Degree in Professional Writing and Editing or the Advanced Diploma of Professional Screenwriting with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 (out of 4.0) are guaranteed entry and are not required to complete the selection kit.
The selection kit requires:
- a statement outlining your interests and background in creative writing, reading and/or film analysis, and how this has prepared you for this program including and relevant work experience in creative writing or a related field (maximum 500 words).
- a statement outlining your approach to creative writing, which may include reference to ideas and theories that inform your practice and future writing ambitions (maximum 500 words).
- Three to four different pieces of creative writing. This can be a combination of fiction or non-fiction, prose, poetry, script, essay (maximum 3000 words in total).
You must collate all of your responses, including sample writing pieces, in a single PDF.
For detailed information on English language requirements and other proficiency tests recognised by RMIT, visit English language requirements and equivalency information.
Don't meet the English language test scores? Complete an Advanced Plus Certificate at RMIT English Worldwide.
If you don't meet the entry requirements, there may be other RMIT programs you are eligible for that can lead you to your preferred program. Explore your pathway options.