Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
Enhance your employability and cross-cutural skills by learning a language.
Learn a new language or continue with your current language studies.
Why learn a language?
Learning a language will:
- broaden your career options and enhance your employability
- prepare you for a global career working abroad or for an international company
- complement an international exchange program
- improve your cognitive skills and brain function
- develop your cross-cultural skills and knowledge of other cultures
- connect you with experienced teaching staff who are immersed in the language you have chosen and its associated culture
RMIT offers four main languages in part-time mode:
- Chinese Mandarin
Chinese and Japanese are also offered in full-time mode (one year) for beginners.
The Diploma of Languages will introduce you to the management of linguistic and cultural issues in international organisations and business. You'll gain knowledge of the sociolinguistic and political aspects of language use, policy and planning.
You’ll have the opportunity to take part in extracurricular activities such as student-run language clubs, mentoring programs, international exchange programs and study tours.
You can study the Diploma with many RMIT degrees. Before enrolling, we recommend contacting the program manager to discuss how this program can best fit in with your current studies. Please email email@example.com.
1 year intensive mode (Chinese and Japanese only) or 3 to 4 years part-time
Study will primarily be face-to-face classroom-based activities such as lectures and workshops, supported by online and other types of flexible delivery.
You’ll have opportunities to use the language in an applied and practical way in real and simulated social, cultural and workplace contexts.
You’ll learn through a range of methods supported by multimedia and online tools, which may include:
- social and cultural simulations
- language exchange and immersion activities with native speakers
- peer-assisted learning
- self-directed and online learning
- in-country learning opportunities, including short-term study tours and semester exchange
- academic mentoring programs
- socialising and networking through on-campus language clubs
Assessment tasks in this program will include some of the following:
- assignments and projects
- reflective journals
- role-plays and presentations
- self-assessment and peer-assessment
- oral (speaking), aural (listening) and written exams
- quizzes and tests
All programs are delivered in English. You will have access to online and digital resources through the myRMIT student portal.
RMIT works closely with foreign governments, embassies, chambers of commerce and cultural organisations. These organisations provide support in the form of:
- mobility scholarships for language students
- local and overseas internships
- language learning resources
- support for language assistants and teachers
- hosting collaborative events
You’ll be able to undertake language proficiency tests that are internationally recognised by governments, employers and educational institutions.
RMIT University is committed to providing you with an education that strongly links formal learning with professional or vocational practice.
This program prepares you for specialist positions in:
- language teaching
Knowledge of another language and an awareness of cross-cultural communication are valued skills across many different industries.
Language skills provide opportunities for studying and working overseas, and enhance career options in many fields including:
- science and engineering
- community development
- foreign aid
- policy and diplomacy
- foreign affairs officer
- international business manager
- tourism manager
- cultural liaison officer
- language teacher
This program enables you to undertake exchange and Global Experience Office programs at a range of overseas partner universities.
Internships may be completed locally or overseas, working with organisations in a country that speaks your chosen language. Examples of these include:
Program and course information
Advance your career with a language
Learning a language is your passport to a global career.