Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
You must have successfully completed an Australian Bachelor degree (or equivalent overseas qualification) in a relevant discipline with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.7 (out of 4.0).
- complete and submit the Bachelor of Arts (Photography) (Honours) selection kit. When you submit your direct application you will receive an email prompt to complete the selection kit
- attend a folio presentation (short-listed and exempt applicants)
The selection kit requires:
- a research proposal
- a folio of photographic images
Your proposal should indicate:
- what you consider your project (research) will encompass
- why this research project is significant to your practice
- how you intend to plan and undertake your project research (including any specialised facilities that may be required).
You should include the following headings:
- Proposed project title
- Research topic outline
A description of your proposed project, including any historical, contemporary and theoretical contexts relevant to your project
Using point form, list three distinct sentences, stating three separate project aims
A description of your research methods (practical or theoretical), or how at this stage you consider your Honours project may occur. Here, if necessary, you may also provide some indication of any specific requirements necessary for your research (this may form as an explanatory paragraph and/or dot points
- Prior reading
List 4 to 5 key texts or research topics in point form that may have specifically or generally informed your practice to date
- Professional experiences (Approximately 500–700 words)
Using point form, list any significant professional experiences you may have undertaken that relate to the field of photography. For example, this may include assisting or volunteering for photographers, creative practitioners or arts organisations, exhibitions and projects, or any creative collaborations).
Your proposal must be submitted in a single PDF.
Folio of photographic images
Folios should include approximately 10–12 recent works. Photographic work should have been taken and edited to completion over the past 18 months. Please include titles of works, and where applicable: date, medium and dimensions. Your folio should include examples of your best work, rather than a combination of image types.
You may upload your folio or supply a URL to your folio online.
You must have successfully completed an Australian Bachelor degree (or equivalent overseas qualification) in a relevant photographic discipline with a minimum GPA of 2.7 (out of 4.0).
Pre-selection kit: You are required to submit a completed pre-selection kit (PDF 81KB, 3 pages) and attend a folio presentation. This can be conducted in person, via SKYPE or telephone.
English language requirements
To study this program you will need to complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- IELTS (Academic): minimum overall band of 6.5 (with no individual band below 6.0)
- TOEFL (Paper Based Test): minimum score of 580 (TWE 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet Based Test - IBT): minimum overall score of 92 (with minimum of 20 in all sections)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE (A)): minimum score of 58 (with no communication band less than 50)
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): minimum of 176 with no less than 169 in any component
For detailed information on English language requirements and other proficiency tests recognised by RMIT, visit English language requirements and equivalency information.
Don't meet the English language test scores? Complete an Advanced Plus Certificate at RMIT English Worldwide.