This certificate is designed for plumbers who have completed their trade training and gained registration, or are in the final year of their apprenticeship and seeking to deepen their technical skills.
The curriculum equips you with the knowledge to manage and design plumbing projects. It provides you with the knowledge and skills to gain your licence with the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) subject to successfully passing the VBA exam.
In order to attain the Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services and gain a full licence, you must complete all the subjects as required by the VBA.
*Subjects may change as training packages are updated.
RMIT offers a variety of learning and teaching approaches including lectures, seminars, studios, workshops, presentations, group discussions and syndicate work. These are primarily in English.
You'll have access to online resources through the myRMIT student portal.
Ongoing assessment throughout the semester includes examinations, essays, reports, oral classes, presentations, group projects, research projects, laboratory projects and practical assignments.
This certificate allows you to choose the skill sets or specialisations that you want to study.
The following are examples of topics covered:
- carry out work-based risk control processes
- commission and maintain backflow prevention devices
- commission and maintain hot water temperature control devices
- consumer gas installations
- deliver and monitor a service to customers
- domestic treatment plant disposal systems
- establish legal and risk management requirements of small business
- estimate and cost work
- hot and cold water services and systems
- identify hazards and assess work health and safety risks
- plan, size and lay out sanitary drainage systems
- read and interpret plans and specifications
- roof drainage systems
- sanitary pipework and fixtures
- stormwater drainage systems.
RMIT provides you with opportunities for flexible exit points to meet your individual needs, though you will need to complete all courses required by the Plumbing Industry Commission (PIC) before you're able to sit the Victorian Building Authority (VBA) PIC licence exam.
Choose a program structure
|Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services||City Campus||
2-years part time
Choose a program structure
Program code: C4338
National curriculum code: CPC40912
Free TAFE for priority courses
The Victorian Government is currently waiving tuition fees for this program for students who meet eligibility requirements for government subsidised places.
JobTrainer is a joint initiative between the Commonwealth and State Government which provides additional funding for free or low-fee (20% of the listed tuition fee) training courses for young people and job seekers. Eligible applicants will be able to access up to one full qualification and one short course or skill set under the JobTrainer fund.
Visit Free TAFE for priority courses for further information on what this means and whether you may be eligible.
If you have any questions you can contact Study@RMIT.
The tuition fees below will apply if you are not receiving a Free TAFE or JobTrainer fee waiver.
The tuition fees you will pay for this program will depend on whether you are offered a Victorian Government subsidised place or a full-fee place. To find out if you are eligible for a government subsidised place, follow the steps at How to check if you are eligible.
Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services (fire services stream)
- 2021 government subsidised place (with concession): AU$398.20* per annum
- 2021 government subsidised place: AU$1,991* per annum
- 2021 full-fee place: AU$6,332* per annum
Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services (operations stream)
- 2021 government subsidised place (with concession): AU$513.40* per annum
- 2021 government subsidised place: AU$2,567* per annum
- 2021 full-fee place: AU$8,166* per annum
Certificate IV in Plumbing and Services (air conditioning and mechanical services stream)
- 2021 government subsidised place (with concession): AU$550.00* per annum
- 2021 government subsidised place: AU$2,750* per annum
- 2021 full-fee place: AU$8,750* per annum
*Fees shown are indicative only and subject to change given individual circumstances at the time of enrolment.
Use our fee finder to get an estimate of your fees for this program.
- Student services and amenities fee (SSAF): AU$313 maximum fee for 2021.
- Other items related to your program, including field trips, textbooks and equipment.
Annual fee adjustment
The student tuition fees as displayed by the fee finder are indicative only and subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Fees are adjusted on an annual basis and these fees should only be used as a guide.
Eligibility Exemption criteria
**The Victorian Government is currently waiving three (3) eligibility criteria around prior qualifications. This means that more people who want to study a vocational education program at RMIT, and who have studied previously, will be able to access a government subsidised place in a program. Find out how to check your eligibility
In addition to tuition fees, you will be charged an annual student services and amenities fee (SSAF), which is used to maintain and enhance services and amenities that improve your experience as an RMIT student.
The SSAF is calculated based on your enrolment load and the maximum fee for 2021 is $313.
For more information about calculating your actual SSAF see Paying SSAF.
You may also be required to purchase other items related to your program, including field trips, textbooks and equipment. These additional fees and expenses vary from program to program.