Diploma of Vocational Education and Training
LocationMelbourne City, Online
Next intakeNot applicable
You’ll gain skills and knowledge necessary for:
- teaching and assessing across a range of VET-related contexts
- facilitating new insights and problem solving when working with learners
- managing the learning process to facilitate change and action in learners
- effective self-assessment in your role as teacher/trainer in a VET environment
- resource and program development
- facilitating e-learning.
This nationally-accredited program is suitable for people who have the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment or equivalent qualifications and experience in competency-based training.
Completing the Diploma of Vocational Education and Training will make you eligible for a second qualification, the Diploma of Training Design and Development. Contact the School to find out more about this option.
RMIT offers a variety of learning and teaching approaches including work place based projects, workshops, presentations, group discussions and syndicate work.
You will have access to online resources through the myRMIT student portal.
This program is led by highly experienced and well qualified trainers who model exceptional training skills, giving you the opportunity to practise these skills in a supportive class environment as well as engaging in workplace projects.
Ongoing assessment throughout the semester includes reports, oral classes, presentations, group projects, research projects and practical assignments.
You will engage in workplace-based projects relating to the design, delivery and assessment of training. Recent student projects include:
- the upskilling of staff in IT, administrative and customer service
- occupational health and safety training
- in-house professional development
RMIT University is committed to providing you with an education that strongly links formal learning with professional or vocational practice.
This program is an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) level 5 teaching qualification, with a practical teaching component included.
This program is delivered online or face to face over a 12 month period.
This Diploma includes 3 units that incorporate a practicum (supervised practical work) for facilitation of assessment and professional activities.
You must arrange for a suitably qualified and experienced teacher to supervise your teaching practicum.
Choose a program structure
|Diploma of Vocational Education and Training||City Campus||
Choose a program structure
Program code: C5307
National curriculum code: TAE50111
Job roles associated with this qualification relate to the delivery of training and assessment within the vocational education and training sector.
You’ll be prepared to take on roles for experienced VET practitioners.
Graduates of this program are employed by a range of organisations including private registered training organisations (RTOs), government departments, schools, community organisations and large TAFE institutes.
Possible job titles and roles relevant to this qualification include:
- leading other trainers and assessors
- providing mentoring to new trainers and assessors
- registered training organisation (RTO) advanced trainer and assessor
- designing approaches to learning and assessment strategies
- Advanced vocational education teacher
- VET in VCE or VCAL secondary school teacher
You should have:
- A Certificate IV in Training and Assessment and vocational experience in training and assessment roles within an RTO or similar organisation where the focus has been on competency based training, or
- Another relevant qualification and vocational experience in training and assessment roles within an RTO or similar organisation where the focus has been on competency based training and assessment, or
- Extensive vocational experience in training and assessment roles within an RTO or similar organisation where the focus has been on competency based training and assessment.
You must be:
- working in vocational education and training and
- arrange for a suitably qualified and experienced teacher to supervise your teaching practicum.
For detailed information on English language requirements and other proficiency tests recognised by RMIT, visit English language requirements and equivalency information.
Don't meet the English language test scores? Complete an Advanced Plus Certificate at RMIT English Worldwide.
The tuition fees you will pay for this program will depend on whether you are offered a Victorian Government subsidised place or a full-fee place.
To find out if you are eligible for a government subsidised place, follow the steps at ‘How to check if you are eligible’.
The student tuition fees as displayed by the fee finder are indicative only and subject to change given individual circumstances at enrolment. Fees are adjusted on an annual basis and these fees should only be used as a guide. Learn more about fees for vocational study.
If your application for a fee concession is approved, you will be charged 20% of the standard government subsidised tuition fee for your program. You will also be charged a lower rate on your student services and amenities fee (SSAF).
In addition to tuition fees, you will be charged an annual student services and amenities fee (SSAF), which is used to maintain and enhance services and amenities that improve your experience as an RMIT student.
The SSAF is calculated based on your enrolment load and the maximum fee for 2018 is $298.
For more information about calculating your actual SSAF see Paying SSAF.
You may also be required to purchase other items related to your program, including field trips, textbooks and equipment. These additional fees and expenses vary from program to program.
In addition to tuition fees you also need to pay for:
- Student services and amenities fee (SSAF) in each calendar year.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) - Student visa holders must have cover for the total duration of their visa.
- Some programs incur additional expenses.
You also need to account for your living expenses. Estimate the cost of living in Melbourne.