Fine-tune your communication skills or gain knowledge of a specific area of media.
Prepare for a career change or start a new hobby in areas such as, film, sound production, digital marketing, and creative writing. In a rapidly changing media landscape, RMIT short courses ensure that you’re equipped with current theory and skills to thrive in the communication field.
Browse interest areas
In an advertising short course at
Up-skill or take on something completely new in areas such as social media marketing or website design and surpass your own professional goals.
Over ten short courses to choose from including:
- Social Media Marketing - Introduction
- Social Media and Digital Marketing for Fashion and Beauty
- Facebook Advertising for Business
- Email Marketing for Business
When you study a communication short course you’ll join an RMIT community of passionate writers and creators of various levels and experience. In an age of increasingly globalised communication, creative, intelligent and succinct writing has never been so important.
Professional writing courses
RMIT offers a range of short courses that can help you develop your skills in copywriting, proofreading and editing for business or personal purposes – master the principles and techniques for structuring and writing communication pieces that compel readers to read on.
Popular courses include:
- Business Writing for Maximum Impact
- Writing for the Web
- Clear Writing for Effective Communication
- Copywriting in Action
- Grammar and Punctuation
- Copyediting – Introduction or Advanced
- Proofreading – Introduction or Advanced
Creative writing courses
Learn the skills and techniques to take your ideas for fiction, comedy, or screenwriting and turn them into stories that people will read and hear. Explore the fundamentals of writing stories across a broad range of genres and styles and cultivate a clear and captivating voice to reach a broader readership.
- Writing Creative Fiction 1 – Introduction
- Comedy Writing
- Screenwriting – Introduction
- Feature Writing with Sian Prior
There are many courses to choose from including:
- Graphic Design: Design and Layout
- Adobe Suite for Design and Presentation Level 1 or Level 2
- Adobe Photoshop – Level 1
- Adobe Illustrator – Level 1
- Adobe InDesign – Level 1
- Foundation Colour
Portfolio preparation courses
- Portfolio Preparation in Graphic Design – Level 1
- Portfolio Preparation in Graphic Design – Level 2
- Portfolio Preparation in Design
Learn the latest music and
Explore courses such as:
- Sound Production - Opening the DAW
- Music Production - Creating Your Own Tracks
- Podcasting - An Introduction
- Production Lighting for Live Events
- Studio Recording - Capturing a Professional Sound
RMIT is globally renowned for excellence in screen and media education; choose a university short course that puts you behind the camera on day one. As a media producer, you’ll expand your skill-set by gaining media-specific expertise such as how to produce and edit creative yet simple short videos, how to animate your drawings or product illustrations, and concept development in screenwriting.
- Documentary Video Production - Introduction
- Short Video: Production Essentials for Online
- Video Editing with Adobe Premiere CC - Introduction
- Screenwriting - Introduction
- Adobe After Effects - Beginning Motion Graphics
- Maya for Animation
- 2D Animation with Adobe Animate
- Stop Motion Animation
- Introduction to Photography: Technical and Aesthetic – Level 1 or Level 2
- People and Portrait Photography
- Food Photography
- Photoshop for Photography - Introduction
The teacher and classmates were supportive and friendly. The diversity of people and writing ideas in class made it interesting and stimulating, creative and fun.
– Zoe Skjellerup
Creative Non Fiction Writing with Dr Sian Prior
Master sound production with Mark Kelson and Tok Norris
Mark Kelson is best known as the front man for Melbourne based outfit The Eternal. Mark is now an established sound engineer, mixer, producer.
Anthony ToK Norris is a multi-instrumentalist, producer, mastering, recording & mixing engineer and composer who has extensively recorded artists for over 40 years.
As current teachers of RMIT's Diploma of Music Industry (Sound Production), Mark and ToK are the perfect guides to introduce you to the world of Digital Audio Workstations.
Improve how you use social media with Marina Cook
Marina is a digital marketing strategist at Motivating Marketing, and lecturer at RMIT.
Her expertise incorporates digital strategies for social media, e-newsletter campaigns, web design & development with large and small companies across many industries.
Marina's knowledge and approach provides students and entrepreneurs with practical skills to move forward in their career.
Looking for other study options?
Studying an RMIT single course allows you to experience a subject of your interest without committing to a full post-graduate or undergraduate degree.Discover more about single courses