Swanston Academic Building
The new Swanston Academic Building, together with RMIT Design Hub, showcases the University’s $700 million investment in cutting-edge educational facilities.
The Swanston Academic Building acts as a catalyst to accelerate the cross-pollination of new ideas. There are many shared learning spaces fitted out with the latest technology, from a high-speed wireless network to LCD screens that can be accessed by multiple users. This new building is also committed to sustainability, with reduced energy and water use, and has been accredited with a 5-star green rating. It’s RMIT’s vision for tomorrow that you can see today.
A new era in learning, teaching and research
The world of learning and research as we know it will see significant change over the next two decades. In a world of ubiquitous technology every space is a learning place – within the university and the city at large. Students, armed with mobile devices in a completely wireless environment, will colonise space in new ways.
Swanston Academic Building anticipates future practices and will accelerate the uptake of new ideas and the adoption of new approaches to the learning, teaching and research experience. The experience of the new building is one of being connected to people and activity through the use of space and volume. The activity of learning is highly visible and on display, rather than closed, private and hidden. The spaces encourage the creative and intellectual transfer of knowledge and lead users to interact in multiple settings with multiple information sources.
Above all the new building is vibrant, engaging and all about connecting people.
Excellence in sustainable design and innovation
RMIT is strongly committed to transforming its own built environment to create sustainable and resilient cities. The SAB is an exemplar of Australian design excellence achieving a Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA) 5-star Green Star Education Design rating. The sustainability features in SAB improve user comfort, resulting in higher quality learning outcomes, greater student engagement and space utilisation at an unprecedented level.
To track the real-time resource consumption of the SAB, visit the interactive dashboard
About Lyons Architects
Lyons Architects were commissioned to design and project manage the development of SAB. The firm is committed to the craft of architecture and urban design as an intellectual construct within a local and global culture. Lyons has completed numerous large scale commissions for government public and private sector client groups.
SAB Awards and Recognition
- Australian Construction Achievement Award (2013)
- Victorian Public Architecture Award (2013)
- National Public Architecture Award (2013)
- Victorian Premier’s Sustainability Award – Infrastructure and Buildings (2013)
- Shortlisted World Building of the Year Award (2013)
- Property Council of Australia's Innovation and Excellence Awards – Victorian Development of the Year (2013)
- Property Council of Australia's Innovation and Excellence Awards - John Holland Award for Best Public Building (2013)
- SAB honoured for excellence in engineering 22/09/2014RMIT University's iconic Swanston Academic Building (SAB) has won an elite Victorian engineering award.
- SAB named Australia's best public building 22/05/2014RMIT University's Swanston Academic Building has been named Best Public Building in the 2014 Property Council of Australia awards.
- Iconic SAB wins Victorian Development of the Year 05/05/2014RMIT's Swanston Academic Building has won prestigious state recognition in the Property Council of Australia's Innovation and Excellence Awards.