Dr Brian Coffey is a lecturer in the School of Global, Urban and Social Studies.
Dr Brian Coffey joined the School of Global, Urban and Social Studies in February 2015 as Lecturer in Sustainability and Urban Planning.
Prior to this, Brian held postdoctoral research fellowships in the Alfred Deakin Research Institute at Deakin University from 2010 to 2015.
His research interests centre on the policy and governance dimensions of sustainability and science-policy relations, and he has published in a variety of public policy and environmental policy, planning, and management journals.
Prior to completing his PhD, Brian worked in a variety of environmental policy and planning roles within the Victoria public service.
Brian's teaching responsibilities centre on policy studies.
He is currently responsible for Environmental Policy (ENVI1127) and Policy Practice (Environment and Planning) (ENVI1050).
- PhD (Policy Studies), University of Queensland
- M Soc Sci (Environmental Policy), RMIT University
- Grad Dip (Resource Economics), University of New England
- B Sci (Australian Environmental Studies), Griffith University
- Member, Institute of Public Administration Australia
- Member, International Public Policy Association
- Member, Australian Political Studies Association
- Coffey, B. (2016). Unpacking the politics of natural capital and economic metaphors in environmental policy discourse In: Environmental Politics, 25, 203 - 222
- Gilmour, P.,Coffey, B.,O'Toole, K. (2015). Trust and knowledge exchange in coastal settings In: Australian Journal of Maritime and Ocean Affairs, 7, 66 - 74
- Coffey, B. (2015). Overlapping forms of knowledge in environmental governance: comparing environmental policy workers' perceptions In: Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis: research and practice, 17, 215 - 228
- Price, E.,Coffey, B.,Nethery, A. (2015). An early career academic network: What worked and what didn't In: Journal of Further and Higher Education, 39, 680 - 698
- Mamouney, L.,Coffey, B. (2015). Research methods in Australian policy research a critical analysis In: Proceedings of the Australian Political Studies Association Annual Conference 2015, Canberra, Australia, 28-30 September,2015
- Leith, P.,O'Toole, K.,Haward, M.,Coffey, B.,Rees, C.,Ogier, E. (2014). Analysis of operating environments: A diagnostic model for linking science, society and policy for sustainability In: Environmental Science & Policy, 39, 162 - 171
- O'Toole, K.,Keneley, M.,Coffey, B. (2013). The participatory logic of coastal management under the project state: Insights from the Estuary Entrance Management Support System (EEMSS) in Victoria, Australia In: Environmental Science & Policy, 27, 206 - 214
- O'Toole, K.,Coffey, B. (2013). Exploring the knowledge dynamics associated with coastal adaptation planning In: Coastal Management, 41, 561 - 575
- Coffey, B. (2013). Strategic policy, planning and assessment for sustainability: insights from Victoria, Australia In: Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal, 4, 56 - 74
- Coffey, B.,Marston, G. (2013). How neoliberalism and ecological modernization shaped environmental policy in Australia In: Journal of Environmental Policy and Planning, 15, 179 - 199
3 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions