Greg Creek is a lecturer in the RMIT School of Art and is coordinator of the MFA Advanced Seminar Program.
Greg Creek’s MFA thesis – “Speaking Space: Artist-run Spaces in Melbourne”, examined relations between artist, viewer, studio and community with a focus upon Artist-run-initiative’s manifestos.
His current Ph.D research - Manifesto Drawing; cartooning, political cynicism, art, examines relations between art and Australian political cartooning with particular emphasis upon graphic language and the sitting of political critique. Other areas of interest include collaboration in education, translation between object and image, form and information in space, figuration & anatomy and parallel media.
School of Art Research Cluster
Art, Time and Space
Naomi Williamson, MA, Second Supervisor, “The Drawn Subject: Meaning in the Moving Drawing.”
Katie Lee, MA, Second Supervisor, “Coercive environments: exploring the psychological effects of rationalising systems.”
Mary Peacock, MA, Second Supervisor, “Under the Bitumen the River: Translating the imagination.”
Greg Creek lectures in Sculpture in the RMIT School of Art and is coordinator of the MFA Advanced Seminar Program. His work represents a political perspective on the contest of personal and public histories using narrative, allegory and satire in large painting and drawing projects.
Currently Pursuing Ph.D; MFA; Grad. Dip. (Fine Art); Dip. (Art & Design)
2006 Photoworks. Catherine Manuell Design Space, Melbourne.
2006 2nd Party Machine. Latrobe University Visual Art Centre, Bendigo.
2006 1st Party Machine. Catherine Manuell Design Space, Melbourne.
2006 Doug Moran National Portrait Prize. State Library of New South Wales (selected artist).
2006 Leverage. RMIT School of Art Gallery, Melbourne.
2006 3rd Person Collaboration (with Carolyn Eskdale). RMIT Project Space & School of Art Gallery, Melbourne.2003 - The Allegorical Imperative: Greg Creek’s Slow Homecoming, Australian Centre for Contemporary Art, Melbourne
2001–2002 Art & Land: Contemporary Australian Visions, various venues, Thailand, Phillipines, Singapore, Vietnam
2001 Violence of Appearances, Federation Festival Australia Projects, RMIT Gallery, Melbourne
2001 Parliament Desktop Drawings, State Parliament House, Melbourne
2000 Paris Desktop Drawing, Canberra Contemporary Art Space, Canberra
1998 All This and Heaven Too, Adelaide Biennale of Australian Art, Adelaide
2006 Artist’s Talk. Monash University, Caulfield Campus, Melbourne, 23 August, 2006.
2006 Artist’s Talk. Latrobe University, Bendigo Campus, Bendigo, 31 May, 2006.
2006 Invited Speaker, Hatched ’06 Symposium. Perth Institute of Contemporary Art, 13 May, 2006
Awards and Comissions
2006 City of Melbourne Arts Grant
2001 Residency in London, VACB studio
2001 Arts Victoria Professional Development Grant
1991–2000 Co-founded and coordinated Temple Studio, an artist-run gallery, studio and publishing initiative.
1999 City of Port Phillip Mural Commission
1998 Residency in and Paris, Cité Internationale des Arts
1996 Australia Council Grant
1996 The Doug Moran National Portrait Prize
1992 Australia Council Grant
1991 AME Bale Traveling Scholarship award
- Creek, G. (2014). Dog Whistlers In: Greg Creek: Dog Whistlers and 34 drawings for love, death and politics Melbourne, Australia
- Diggle, J.,Creek, G. (2013). Chatter Shapes In: 2013: Greg Creek 'Chatter Shapes' Exhibition. Drawing Out Conference. RMIT Melbourne. Curator Melbourne Australia
- Creek, G. (2013). Untitled (Ping Pong) In: Ping Pong Melbourne, Australia
- Creek, G. (2012). Allegory of Opposition In: Basil Sellers Art Prize Melbourne, Australia
- Creek, G. (2010). Commute In: InsideOut Sydney, Australia Leicester, UK
- Creek, G. (2010). Manifesto Drawing (Mop) In: Contemporary Australian Drawings 1 Melbourne, Australia
- Creek, G. (2010). Between In and Out In: Insideout: sculpture in the digital age (ISBN 9781857214093) Leicester, UK
- Creek, G. (2010). Chattershapes (mechanism of gardens) In: Freehand: recent Australian drawing Melbourne, Australia
- Creek, G. (2009). The amendments In: Greg Creek - The Amendments Melbourne, Australia
- Creek, G. (2009). Untitled amended record sleeve In: 'Shilo Project' Melbourne, Australia
2 PhD Current Supervisions and 3 Masters by Research Current Supervisions4 Masters by Research Completions