Dr Datta’s research primarily addresses questions related to the frequency control, modelling and energy management in microgrid. He has also contributed in the optimisation of energy storage, ancillary services, and real time energy pricing in the context of distributed generators and electric vehicles in smart grid.
- Modelling and control of AC/DC and Hybrid Microgrid
- Distributed Generation Modelling, Forecasting, Optimisation, and Control
- Application of Intelligent Algorithms in Power System Control.
- Motor Drives (IM, SRM, IG, PMSG, PMSM)
- Smart and sustainable power system by incorporating modern power electronics, intelligent controls, PV systems, and electric vehicles, Principal Investigator, Funded by: Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST), Japan, Amount: 15,000,000 JPY, 2011 to 2013.
- Dynamic Grid Support and Control by Using PV Systems from the Perspective of Green Smart Grid, Co-Principal Investigator, Funded by: Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS), Japan, Amount: 3,000,000 JPY, 2011 to 2012.
- Efficient controls of large PV power systems, clustered PV systems, and PV-diesel hybrid systems in Okinawa Island, Principal Investigator, Funded by: The Power Academy of Japan, Japan, Amount: 1,000,000 JPY, 2010 to 2011.
- Study of the MW-class Solar Plant in the Miyakojima Island, Principal Investigator, Funded by: Marubun Research Promotion Foundation, Japan, Amount: 1,000,000 JPY, 2010 to 2011.
- Lecturer (Electrical Engineering)
- Research and supervision (Electrical Power Engineering and Renewable Energy Systems)
- D.Eng. (Interdisciplinary Intelligent Systems Engineering), 2011
- M.Eng. (Electrical and Electronics Engineering), 2008
- B.Sc. (Electrical and Electronic Engineering), 2003
Fellowships and awards
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) postdoctoral fellowship, 2011.
- University President's Honorary Award for best PhD thesis, University of the Ryukyus, Japan, 2011
- Excellent Student Award, IEEE Fukuoka Section, Japan, 2009
- Biography listed in Marquis Who's Who in the World, USA, 2009
- Zukeran Publication Award, Dept. of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, University of the Ryukyus, Japan, 2009
- University President's Honorary Award for best Master’s Thesis, University of the Ryukyus, Japan, 2008
- Best Student Presentation Award, Institute of Electrical Engineers, Japan, Kyushu Branch, Japan, 2008
- Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, IEEE, USA (Power Engineering Society)
- Member of the Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan, IEEJ, Japan (Power and Energy Society)
- June 2013 – present, Lecturer: School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, RMIT University, Australia
- 2012 – 2013, Assistant Professor: Dept. of Human and Information Systems, Gifu University, Japan
- 2011 – 2012, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Faculty of Engineering, University of the Ryukyus, Japan
- 2003 – 2006, Lecturer & Assistant Professor: Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, KUET, Bangladesh
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics
- IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy
- IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications
- IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics
- IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics
- IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion
- IEEE Power and Energy Technology Systems Journal
- IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics
- IET Renewable Power Generation
- IET Control Theory & Applications
- Renewable Energy
- Electric Power Components and Systems
- Matayoshi, H.,Uehara, T.,Ludin, G.,Sharma, A.,Datta, M.,Senjyu, T. (2016). Uninterruptible smart house equipped with a single-phase dq-transformation system In: Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 8, 025101-1 - 025101-21
- Uehara, T.,Ludin, G.,Datta, M.,Senjyu, T. (2015). Frequency control using real-time pricing for isolated power systems In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE-ECCE Asia 2015), Seoul, Korea, 1-5 June 2015
- Uehara, T.,Samim, N.,Senjyu, T.,Datta, M. (2015). Real-time pricing based frequency control and smoothing of PV and WTG output power variations in islanded micro-grid In: Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE International Future Energy Electronics Conference (IEEE IFEEC 2015), Taipei, Taiwan, 1-4 November 2015
- Nafi, N.,Khan, R.,Ahmed, K.,Datta, M.,Gregory, M. (2015). A novel WiMAX ranging scheme for periodic M2M applications in smart grid In: 2015 International Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference, Sydney, Australia, 18-20 November 2015
- Nafi, N.,Ahmed, K.,Datta, M.,Gregory, M. (2014). A novel Zigbee based pilot protection scheme for smart distribution grid In: Proceedings of the Australasian Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference (ATNAC 2014), Melbourne, Australia, 26-28 November 2014
- Palmer, M.,Tachibana, M.,Senjyu, T.,Funabashi, T.,Saber, A.,Datta, M. (2014). Grid stabilization with decentralized controllable loads using fuzzy control and droop characteristics In: International Journal of Emerging Electric Power Systems, 15, 357 - 365
- Datta, M. (2014). Fuzzy logic based frequency control by V2G aggregators In: Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Power Electronics for Distributed Generation Systems (PEDG 2014), Galway, Ireland, 24-27 June 2014
- Datta, M.,Senjyu, T. (2013). Fuzzy control of distributed PV inverters/energy storage system/electric vehicles for frequency regulation in a large power system In: IEEE Transaction on Smart Grid, 4, 479 - 488
- Datta, M.,Ishikawa, H.,Naitoh, H.,Senjyu, T. (2012). LFC by coordinated virtual inertia mimicking and PEVs in power utility with MW-class distributed PV generation In: Proceedings of the IEEE 13th Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics (COMPEL 2012), Kyoto, Japan, 10-13 June, 2012
- Datta, M.,Ishikawa, H.,Naitoh, H.,Senjyu, T. (2012). Frequency control improvement in a PV-diesel hybrid power system with a virtual inertia controller In: Proceedings of the 2012 7th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications, ICIEA 2012, Singapore, 18 - 20 July, 2012
2 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions