His research interests are in the areas of decision analysis, intelligent systems, digital business, knowledge management, electronic government, e-learning, and their applications in business. The multi-disciplinary nature of his research and the emphasis on both theoretical and applied research are exemplified by numerous refereed publications in top refereed international journals listed in the Science Citation Index, Social Science Citation Index, Engineering Compendex Index, and at major refereed international conferences including Journal of Operational Research Society, European Journal of Operational Research, Computers and Operations research, International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, IEEE Transactions on Systems, man, and Cybernetics, Government Information Quarterly, Expert Systems with Applications,Computers and Mathematics with Applications, Fuzzy Information and Engineering, International Journal of E-Government Research, Journal of Systems and Information Technology, and Management Research Review.
Hepu is active in the international academic community. He acted as the Program Chair of several IEEE international conferences in Fuzzy Systems, Knowledge Discovery, Artificial Intelligence, and Computational Intelligence in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 respectively. He was the Publicity Chair for five IEEE international conferences in China and Singapore including the 9th IEEE International Conference on Neural Information Processing (2002), the 4th Asia-Pacific Conference on Simulated Evolution and Learning (2002), and the 2002 International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery and the organization committee member for numerous international conferences. He was and is currently a referee for many prestigious international journals including Fuzzy Sets and Systems, International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, European Journal of Operational Research, IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, International Journal of Computers and Industrial Engineering, Information Sciences, Computers and Operations Research,International Journal of Production Economics, Journal of Computational Intelligence in Finance, Journal of Operations Management, and International Journal of Knowledge and Information Systems.
Hepu is experienced in working and teaching at tertiary education in a cross-culture environment. After graduation and worked as a mathematics teacher in a High School he became an assistant lecturer and then lecturer in the Department of Business, Wuhan University of Science and Technology, China. He started at the School of Computing and Information Technology, Monash University in July 1998 as a lecturer and was appointed to the School of Business IT at RMIT in 2000.
- Decision analysis: Multi-criteria decision making, fuzzy decision analysis, fuzzy optimization
- Intelligent systems: Artificial intelligence, expert systems, intelligent agents, and their applications in business
- Digital business: E-market adoption and evaluation, green information technology, technology adoption
- Knowledge management: Knowledge sharing, learning organizations, roles of ICT in knowledge management
- Electronic government:E-government benchmarking, public value of e-government
- E-learning: Learning ecosystems, open learner’s models, adoption of technologies in e-learning
- PhD (Information Systems) 1999, Monash University
- Master (Business Systems), 1994, Monash University
- Postgraduate Diploma (Management Engineering), 1988, University of Science and Technology Beijing, China
- Bachelor (Mathematics), 1984, Hunan Normal University, China
Conference Program Chair
- The 24th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, December 4-6, 2013, Melbourne, Australia.
- The 2013 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence (AICI'13), August 14-16, Guilin, China
- The 2012 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence (AICI'12), October 26-28, Chengdu, China
- The 2011 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence (AICI'11), September 24-25, Taiyuan, China
- The 2010 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence (AICI'10), October 23-24, Sanya, China
- The 2009 International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Computational Intelligence (AICI'09), November 7-8, Shanghai, China
- The IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, August 16-18, 2009, Tianjing, China.
- The IEEE International Conference on Natural Computation, August 27-29, 2005, Changsha, China.
- The IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, August 27-29 2005, Changsha, China.
- The IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, November 18-22, 2002, Singapore.
- The Ninth International Conference on Neural Information Processing, November 18-22, 2002, Singapore.
- The Fourth Asia-Pacific Conference on Simulated Evolution and Learning, November 18-22, 2002, Singapore.
- Sek, Y.,Deng, H.,McKay, E.,Xu, W. (2016). Investigating the determinants of information sharing intentions of learners in collaborative learning In: Current Developments in Web Based Learning, Springer, Cham, Switzerland
- Deng, H.,Zhang, X.,Zhao, J. (2016). Consensus development in group decision making under uncertainty In: Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications (Volume 281: Fuzzy System and Data Mining), IOS Press, Slovakia
- Al-Kalbani, A.,Deng, H.,Kam, B. (2015). Organisational security culture and information security compliance for e-government development: the moderating effect of social pressure In: Proceedings of the 19th Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS 2015), Singapore, 5-9 July 2015
- Sek, Y.,Deng, H.,McKay, E. (2015). A multi-dimensional measurement model for assessing the pre-adoption of open learner models in technology-mediated teaching and learning: a pilot study In: Proceedings of the 2015 Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS 2015), Singapore, 5-9 July 2015
- Xhang, X.,Deng, H.,Zhou, Y. (2015). A multi-indices based method to comparing and ranking fuzzy numbers in fuzzy decision making In: Proceedings of the12th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (FSKD'15), Zhangjiajie, China, 15 - 17 August 2015
- Al-Kalbani, A.,Deng, H.,Kam, B. (2015). Investigating the role of socio-organizational factors in the information security compliance in organizations In: Proceedings of the 26th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, Adelaide, Australia, 30 November - 4 December 2015
- Sek, Y.,Deng, H.,McKay, E.,Qian, M. (2015). Investigating the impact of learners' learning styles on the acceptance of open learner models for information sharing In: Proceedings of the 26th Australasian Conference on Information Systems, Adelaide, Australia, 30 November 30 - 4 December 2015
- An, X.,Bai, W.,Deng, H.,Sun, S.,Dong, Y.,Zhong, W.,Hu, J. (2015). A comprehensive concept map for adequate protection and effective management of personal information in networked Chinese services In: The Electronic Library, 33, 1047 - 1064
- Bai, W.,An, X.,Bai, X.,Deng, H. (2015). A knowledge management framework for the community of collaborative innovation In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Intellectual Capital and Knowledge Management and Organisational Learning, Bangkok, Thailand, 5-6 November 2015
- Deng, H.,Zhao, J. (2015). Ranking discrete multi-attribute alternatives under uncertainty In: Proceedings of the 2015 2nd International conference on Soft Computing and Machine Intelligence, Hong Kong, 23-24 November 2015
- Accounting for Sustainability: Developing an Integrated Approach for Sustainability Assessments. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project 2009 Round 2 from (2010 to 2014)
- Competition and Collaboration in the Market for Digital Publishing. Funded by: ARC Linkage Projects 2004 Round 2 from (2004 to 2008)
12 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions