Phil Edwards explains that his research interests are only partly circumscribed by his formal studies. During his Masters he researched the possibility of an innate aesthetic that manifested itself in the casual assemblage of everyday objects. His PhD studies concerned themselves with an examination of the positioning of audio CDs in a Fine Art culture. Both these formal studies overlapped in the sense that within each was an examination of hybridity as it is expressed in the overlap between art informale and Fine Art.
Phil’s research focus and interests are in six themes: Children’s art/ outsider art and its relationship to formal painting; Fake poetry and Fine Art; Alchemy as a sleight of hand; Music brut; Temporality and Compression in Hybrid art forms; and Painting – Abstraction – Landscape
Maria Penne, DFA, “Visual examination of the mythologies and the corporeal identity of borderers occupying the border between Mexico and the United States of America”
PhD; MA (Fine Art);BA Hons (Fine Arts); M Ed St; B Ed (Env.Sci.); Dip.TEFL.
Exhibitions / Performances
2005 Eulogy for a Blowfly. Clubs Project,15 April
2005 Cairo - Bus Gallery Residency, April–May
2005 Lost Time is not Found Again - Conical Gallery, 4–24 October
2005 Almost Saturn – RMIT Project Space - collaboration with John Mckinnon. 1–16 September
2005 Bert Alphett – Bus Gallery. 10 September
2005 Edwards, P. (2005). On being Peripetatic in a Scholarly World. Paper presented Speculation and Innovation - Applying Practice-Led Research in the Creative Industries Conference, at Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, 30 March–1 April.
2005 Almost Saturn. Ancillary exhibition for VITAL SIGNS Conference, RMIT.
2005 Edwards, P. (2005, in process). Ballad of A Magpie Artist. In Thinking through Practice, (working titles). Melbourne: RMIT University Press.
2005 Edwards, P. (2005). Geelong Arts Alliance. UNMagazine, Issue 3, Autumn 2005.
- Edwards, P. (2015). Vanitas Drawing In: Adelaide Perry Drawing Prize Sydney, Australia
- Edwards, P. (2015). The Authentic More In: Darebin Art Prize Melbourne Australia
- Edwards, P. (2015). Greetings From Glenroy In: Gathering Glenroy Melbourne Australia
- Edwards, P. (2014). I wonder if you wonder In: Turn up your radio Melbourne Australia
- Edwards, P. (2013). Untitled In: Reading The Space New York, United States
- Edwards, P. (2013). The Paradox of Reportage In: Shifting through Plastic Gods Margret Lawrence Gallery
- Edwards, P. (2013). Tony Woods - Field Recordings In: Tony Woods: Archive (book) Melbourne, Australia
- Edwards, P. (2012). Action Stations In: Innovators 1, 2012 St Kilda, Melbourne
- Ellis, P.,Edwards, P. (2011). AND Live at Stonehenge 11.11.11. In: Performance at Stonehenge Melbourne, Victoria
- Edwards, P. (2011). Image of your father In: Boom Boom: Revisited, Neo-Dada Now Melbourne, Victoria
1 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions2 Prof Doc Completions and 4 PhD Completions and 1 Masters by Research Completions