Kathy Jordan is a Senior Lecturer in Literacy in the School of Education at RMIT University.
Kathy Jordan is an experienced researcher in the areas of the introduction of ICT to school settings, teacher use of ICT, blended learning, sociology of ICT, the teaching of English, beginning teachers, and teacher networks.
Recently Kathy has been a principal researcher in the Supporting New Teachers’ Practice program, a Department of Education and Early childhood Development (DEECD) funded program of around $1.3 million, which aims to support beginning teachers as they face the challenges of being new to the profession. Using a blended learning design, the three year program will involve up to 600 beginning teachers from across the state.
Kathy is a Project Coordinator for the Teaching Teachers for the Future project, a national project funded by Australian Government Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR) through the ICT Innovation Fund, and supported by the Australian Council of Deans of Education, AITSL (Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership), ESA (Education Services Australia) and ACCE (Australian Council for Computers in Education) of around $8.8 million. This project aims to specifically target systematic change in the ICT proficiency of graduate teachers.
Research grants and consultancy
Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR). (2011-2012). Teaching Teachers for the Future project. $8.8 million.
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD.) (2010-2012. Supporting New Teachers Practice Program. $1.3 million.
Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations (DEEWR). (2008). Improving the Professional Component of Teacher Education. $35, 000.
RMIT Learning and Teaching fund (LTIF). (2010). Cert IV project. $1, 500.
Kathy is an experienced secondary school teacher and university educator and teaches in teacher preparation programs in the areas of English Method, teaching principles and practices and integrating curriculum. She supervises research students around the teaching of literacy, and the use of ICT in school and higher education settings.
Bachelor of Arts, Diploma in Education, Masters of Education, PhD (La Trobe University).
Recipient of Early Career Researcher Award (2009) for Most Outstanding Paper, awarded by the Australian Association of Researchers in Education (AARE).
Recipient of La Trobe University Scholarship (1998), awarded to most promising researchers.
- Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2016). Pre-service teacher ICT tool-kit - the role of the setting In: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computer Supported Education (CSEDU 2016), Rome, Italy, 21-23 April 2016
- Elsden-Clifton, J.,Jordan, K.,Carr, N. (2016). Innovating in first year pre-service teacher education: ''Buddy up'' In: Teacher Education: Innovation, Intervention and Impact, Springer, Singapore
- Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2016). Designing Meaningful Learning Environments in a Work- Integrated-Learning Course Using a DOCC Design In: Revolutionizing Modern Education through Meaningful E-Learning Implementation, IGI Global, Hershey, United States
- Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2015). The role of educational technology in third space practicum In: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Computer Supported Education - (Volume 1) (CSEDU 2015), Lisbon, Portugal, 23-25 May 2015
- Elsden-Clifton, J.,Jordan, K. (2015). What's up DOCC? Creating third space courses in teacher education In: Proceedings of the annual conference of the Australian Teacher Education Association (ATEA), Darwin, Australia, 8-10 July 2015
- Dinh, H.,Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2015). Measuring TPACK in Vietnam: Issues still remain In: Proceedings of EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology 2015, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 22-24 June 2016
- Jordan, K.,Compton, L. (2015). Pre-service teacher ICT skill-set: Not a simple issue In: Proceedings of EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology 2015, Kona, Hawaii, 19-22 October 2015
- Jordan, K.,Elsden-Clifton, J. (2014). Through the lens of third space theory - possibilities for research methodologies in educational technologies In: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Computer Supported Education, CSEDU 2014, Barcelona, Spain, 1-3 April 2014
- Jordan, K. (2014). Adapting an instrument to measure teacher TPACK In: Proceedings of the Australian Computers in Education Conference 2014 (ACEC2014), Adelaide, Austalia, 30 September - 3 October 2014
- Elsden-Clifton, J.,Jordan, K. (2013). The pre-service teachers ICT toolkit: expertise and expectations In: Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications (EdMedia 2013), Victoria, Canada, 24-28 June 2013
4 PhD Completions and 2 Masters by Research Completions4 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions