Michael Kidd has been a Professor of Economics in RMIT's School of Economics, Finance and Marketing since 2015.
He has previously held professorial and senior leadership roles at University of Aberdeen, Deakin and QUT. His research interests include Labour and Health Economics and he also dabbles in some experimental work.
His most recent research revolves around matched administrative record data across multiple Queensland government agencies, including Department of Education and Training, Queensland Police and Attorney General.
The work has several dimensions including:
- The impact of education on crime
- Do single gender classes make a difference?
- Kids at risk
- Can Economists contribute to understanding alcohol fuelled violence?
These major projects currently involve collaboration with ex-colleagues from QUT Tony Beatton and Dipa Sarkar as well as Steve Machin (LSE) and Frank Vella (Georgetown).
View Professor Kidd's publications on the following platforms:
Michael has a strong interest in supervising PhD students and can offer fantastic data for relating to individual level panel data on both Education and Crime. There is a large array of topics that would provide interesting PhD theses.
- MA Economics Essex University, UK
- PhD Economics Queen’s University Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Member of the editorial board of The Economic Record.
- Kennedy, S.,Kidd, M.,McDonald, J.,Biddle, N. (2015). The healthy immigrant effect: patterns and evidence from four countries In: Journal of International Migration and Integration, 16, 317 - 332
- Dolton, P.,Kidd, M.,Fooken, J. (2015). Get a life? The impact of the European Working Time Directive: The case of UK senior doctors In: Health Economics (United Kingdom), 24, 1272 - 1288
- Kidd, M.,Nicholas, A.,Rai, B. (2013). Tournament outcomes and prosocial behaviour In: Journal of Economic Psychology, 39, 387 - 401
- Healy, J.,Kidd, M. (2013). Gender-based undervaluation and the equal remuneration powers of Fair Work Australia In: Journal of Industrial Relations, 55, 760 - 782
- Carlin, P.,Kidd, M.,Ulubasoglu, M. (2013). Does legal heritage affect obesity? The channel of motor vehicle dependence In: Journal of Comparative Economics, 41, 621 - 633
- Carlin, P.,Kidd, M.,Rooney, P.,Denton, B. (2013). Academic wage structure by gender: The roles of peer review, performance, and market forces In: Southern Economic Journal, 80, 127 - 146
- Feltovich, N.,Gangadharan, L.,Kidd, M. (2013). Implementation and removal of an affrmative-action quota: The impact on task assignment and workers' skill acquisition In: Canadian Public Policy, 39, S123 - S140
- Hopkins, S.,Kidd, M.,Ulker, A. (2013). Private health insurance status and utilisation of dental services in Australia* In: The Economic Record, 89, 194 - 206
- Kidd, M.,Metcalfe, R.,Sloane, P. (2012). The determinants of hiring older workers in Britain revisited: An analysis using WERS 2004 In: Applied Economics, 44, 527 - 536
- Understanding educational outcomes or Queensland's investment in early education programs (Administered by Queensland University of Technology). Funded by: Education Horizon - DET Queesland - Grant from (2017 to 2017)