Martin Leary began his scholarly career as a postgraduate student within the Engineering Design Group at the Mechanical Engineering Department of the University of Melbourne. As a member of the RMIT School of Aerospace Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, he proudly continues to engage with industry and develop novel research outcomes within four research fields:
- Engineering design and engineering education
- Systems approaches and optimisation
- Sustainable automotive system design
- Renewable energy
Honours and awards
- 2009 – International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED)
Reviewers Favourite prize
- 2005 – Australian Road Transport Suppliers Association (ARTSA)
Annual scholarship prize
- 2004 – National Transport Commission (NTC)
- 2002 – Australian Forging Group (AFG) annual awards
Honourable mention – Light alloy forging design
- 1999 – Advanced Engineering Centre for Manufacturing (AECM) scholarship
Collaboration between University of Melbourne and National Forge Limited
- Mechanical Design 1 (MIET2136)
- Management of Design (MIET1199)
- Mechanical Design 3 (MIET2004)
- Offshore teaching (Singapore Institute of Commerce)
- Management of Design
- Renewable Energy Systems
- 2000-2005 – PhD: "Mass reduction of Fatigue-Limited, Safety-Critical (FLSC), ferrous metal automotive components by forged light alloy substitution". Department of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, University of Melbourne.
- 1996-2000 – B.Sc., University of Melbourne.
- 1995-1999 – BEng. Mech. (Hons.), University of Melbourne.
Professional association and committee involvement
- Co-editor of the International Conference on Sustainable Automotive Technologies (ICSAT). The inaugural conference was held in 2008 in Melbourne. Due to the conference success, ICSAT now alternates annually between Australia, Germany and the United States. The conference proceedings have been adopted by Springer-Verlag for publication.
- Member of the International Conference on Engineering Design (ICED) and has acted on the International Review panel since assisting with the ICED’05 in Melbourne.
- Member of the Design Society
- Mazur, M.,Leary, M.,Sun, S.,Vcelka, M.,Shidid, D.,Brandt, M. (2016). Deformation and failure behaviour of Ti-6Al-4V lattice structures manufactured by selective laser melting (SLM) In: The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 84, 1391 - 1411
- Mazur, M.,Leary, M.,McMillan, M.,Brandt, M. (2016). SLM additive manufacture of H13 tool steel with conformal cooling and structural lattices In: Rapid Prototyping Journal, 22, 504 - 518
- Leary, M.,Piola, R.,Shimeta, J.,Toppi, S.,Mayson, S.,McMillan, M.,Brandt, M. (2016). Additive manufacture of anti-biofouling inserts for marine applications In: Rapid Prototyping Journal, 22, 416 - 434
- Wang, X.,Xu, S.,Zhou, S.,Xu, W.,Leary, M.,Choong, P.,Qian, M.,Brandt, M.,Xie, Y. (2016). Topological design and additive manufacturing of porous metals for bone scaffolds and orthopaedic implants: A review In: Biomaterials, 83, 127 - 141
- Sun, Y.,Gulizia, S.,Oh, C.,Fraser, D.,Leary, M.,Lee, Y.,Qian, M. (2016). The influence of As-Built surface conditions on mechanical properties of Ti-6Al-4V additively manufactured by selective electron beam melting In: JOM, 68, 791 - 798
- Leary, M.,Mazur, M.,Elambasseril, J.,McMillan, M.,Chirent, T.,Sun, Y.,Qian, M.,Easton, M.,Brandt, M. (2016). Selective laser melting (SLM) of AlSi12Mg lattice structures In: Materials and Design, 98, 344 - 357
- Sun, S.,Fabijanic, D.,Ghaderi, A.,Leary, M.,Toton, J.,Sun, S.,Brandt, M.,Easton, M. (2016). Microstructure and hardness characterisation of laser coatings produced with a mixture of AISI 420 stainless steel and Fe-C-Cr-Nb-B-Mo steel alloy powders In: Surface and Coatings Technology, 296, 76 - 87
- Mohd Jani, J.,Leary, M.,Subic, A. (2016). Fatigue of NiTi SMA-pulley system using Taguchi and ANOVA In: Smart Materials and Structures, 25, 1 - 18
- Mazur, M.,Leary, M.,McMillan, M.,Sun, S.,Shidid, D.,Brandt, M. (2016). Mechanical properties of Ti6Al4V and AlSi12Mg lattice structures manufactured by selective laser melting (SLM) In: Laser Additive Manufacturing, Woodhead Publishing Limited, United Kingdom
- Mohd Jani, J.,Huang, S.,Leary, M.,Subic, A. (2015). Numerical modeling of shape memory alloy linear actuator In: Computational Mechanics, 56, 443 - 461
- Additive manufacturing wear-resistant products for erosive environments. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2019)
4 PhD Completions4 PhD Current Supervisions