As of 9 August 2010, Professor Ian Palmer assumed the role of Pro Vice-Chancellor Business and Vice-President.
Ian started at RMIT University in January 2009 holding the dual roles of Deputy PVC Business (Research) in the College of Business, and the RMIT-wide role of Dean, School of Graduate Research.
Prior to coming to RMIT, in 1999 Ian was appointed Professor of Management, UTS and from 2002 – 2008 occupied the role of Associate Dean (Research), Faculty of Business, UTS.
Ian holds a PhD from Monash University and a Bachelor of Arts (Hons – 1) from the Australian National University (ANU). He has held visiting academic positions at the University of Virginia and Cornell University in the USA and at Macquarie Graduate School of Management. Ian’s teaching, research and consulting are in the fields of organizational design and change. He has extensive teaching experience, particularly at the MBA and Executive MBA level, both nationally and internationally.
Ian and his research collaborators have gained over $2m in external research grants and he has been a Chief Investigator on seven different ARC grants, his most recent being an ARC Discovery grant 2011-2013 on controls in innovation driven firms (with Aaron Smith, Fiona Graetz and Richard Dunford). Ian continues to publish extensively: since his arrival at RMIT in 2009 he has published (or had accepted for publication) an output which includes seven A and A* journals, a second edition of a book on Managing Organizational Change (with Dunford & Akin), and he has also conducted a commissioned review of the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia (ASSA), known as the “Palmer Review“.
He has held a range of national and international leadership roles. Nationally, from 2000 – 2002 he held the roles of Vice-President, President and Immediate Past-President of the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management (ANZAM). From 2002 – 2004 he was a Director, CRC Technology-Enabled Capital Markets. From 2004 – 2008 he was foundation Chair of BARDsNET (Business Academic Research Director’s Network) which is jointly sponsored by ANZAM and by the Australian Business Deans Council (ABDC). In 2007 he was appointed by the Federal Government as national Chair of the Research Quality Framework (RQF) Panel 10 for Economics, Commerce and Management. In 2012 Ian was elected to the Executive of the ABDC and currently occupies the role of Treasurer.
Internationally, in 2004 – 2006 Ian was appointed to the Executive of the US Academy of Management’s Organizational Development and Change (ODC) Division as their International Representative. In 2008-2010 Ian was elected to the same Executive as their Representative-at-Large.
In 2002 Ian was made a Fellow of ANZAM and in 2007 he was appointed to Life Membership of ANZAM, one of only eleven awarded in the history of that organization. In 2009 Ian was elected Fellow, Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia.
- Beaumont, R.,DUNFORD, R.,Cuganesan, S.,Grant, D.,Palmer, I.,Steele, C. (2013). "Flexibility" as the rationale for organizational change: A discourse perspective In: Journal of Organizational Change Management, 26, 83 - 97
- RALSTON, D.,MILTON, L.,RAMBURUTH, P.,Mockaitis, A.,EGRI, C.,Khilji, S.,Palmer, I.,GIRSON, I.,Richards, M. (2012). Do Anglo countries still form a values cluster? Evidence of the complexity of value change In: Journal of World Business, 47, 267 - 276
- Cuganesan, S.,DUNFORD, R.,Palmer, I. (2012). Strategic management accounting and strategy practices within a public sector agency In: Management Accounting Research, 23, 245 - 260
- EGRI, C.,Reynaud, E.,FURRER, O.,Brock, D.,Alas, R.,Leon-Darder, F.,Mockaitis, A.,Szabo, E.,Ruiz-Gutierrez, J.,Pekerti, A.,Lenartowicz, T.,Starkus, A.,Hung, V.,DALGIC, T.,Molteni, M.,DE LA GARZA CARRANZA, M.,Maignan, I.,Castro, F.,Moon, Y.,Terpstra-Tong, J.,DABIC, M.,Li, Y.,Kangasniemi, M.,ANSARI, M.,RIDDLE, L.,WANGENHEIM, F.,Kuo, C.,BUTT, A.,Lee, C.,MILTON, L.,HALLINGER, P.,ELENKOV, D.,Gelbuda, M.,RAMBURUTH, P.,Casado, T.,ROSSI, A.,Richards, M.,Fu, P.,Wan, P.,Tang, M.,Chia, H.,Fan, Y.,Wallace, A.,POTOCAN, V.,NAOUMOVA, I.,GIRSON, I.,Van Deusen, C.,RALSTON, D.,Srinivasan, N.,Danis, W.,Palmer, I. (2011). A twenty-first century assessment of values across the global workforce In: Journal of Business Ethics, 104, 1 - 31
- Palmer, I.,LEITCH, S. (2010). Analysing texts in context: Current practices and new protocols for critical discourse analysis in organization studies In: Journal of Management Studies, 47, 1194 - 1212
- DUNFORD, R.,BENVENISTE, J.,Palmer, I. (2010). Business model replication for early and rapid internationalisation The ING Direct Experience In: Long Range Planning, 43, 655 - 674
- Jesuino, J.,RALSTON, D.,EGRI, C.,DE LA GARZA CARRANZA, M.,RAMBURUTH, P.,Pekerti, A.,GIRSON, I.,Herrig, H.,DABIC, M.,Tang, M.,Wan, P.,Terpstra-Tong, J.,HALLINGER, P.,Palmer, I.,ELENKOV, D.,FURRER, O.,POTOCAN, V.,Maignan, I.,Perrewe, P.,ROSSI, A.,Lenartowicz, T.,Ledgerwood, D.,May, R.,WANGENHEIM, F.,Weber, M.,Casado, T.,RIDDLE, L.,Richards, M.,BUTT, A.,Fu, P.,NAOUMOVA, I.,ANSARI, M.,Brock, D.,Srinivasan, N.,DALGIC, T.,Moon, Y.,Chia, H.,Starkus, A.,Danis, W.,Castro, F.,Ruiz-Gutierrez, J.,MILTON, L.,Leon-Darder, F.,THANH, H.,Molteni, M.,Kangasniemi, M.,Mellahi, K.,Wallace, A.,KUO, M. (2009). Ethical preferences for influencing superiors: A 41-society study In: Journal of International Business Studies, 40, 1022 - 1045
- Palmer, I.,DUNFORD, R. (2008). Organizational change and the importance of embedded assumptions In: British Journal of Management , 19, s20 - s32
- DUNFORD, R.,Palmer, I. (2008). New organization forms - the career of a concept In: Sage Handbook of New Approaches in Management and Organization, Sage, London, United Kingdom
- Cropper, S.,Palmer, I. (2008). Change, dynamics and temporality in inter-organizational relationships In: The Oxford Handbook of Inter-Organizational Relations, Oxford University Press, United States
- Organising for Control in Innovation-driven Firms: Managing the efficiency-flexibility duality. Administered by La Trobe University. Funded by: ARC Discovery Projects via other University pre-2014 from (2011 to 2013)