Dr. Ylias Sabri’s areas of interest include: nano-structured thin films and nano-crystal growth, chemical sensors, materials development, structural characterization of thin films, mercury sensing, mercury removal speciation.
The impact of Dr Sabri’s research work has been highlighted on over 15 international scientific websites (selected few listed below) where he and/or his mentor are mentioned.
- ABC National – Science Show
- The Age – “Mercury Falling” (19-11-2009)
- Stories of Australian Science 2010 – “Measuring mercury with a Midas touch”
- AtoZofNano – “Using Nanotechnology to Measure Mercury”
- Nanotechnology Now – “Measuring Mercury with Nanotechnology”
- Nanowerk – “Pioneering nanotechnology sensor can precisely measure mercury”
- Nano techwire.com – “Measuring Mercury with Nanotechnology”
- Science Alert – “Gold nano-hairs find mercury”
- Nanotechnology and Development News – “Measuring Mercury with Nanotechnology”
- R&D mag – “Gold spikes take accurate measure of industrial mercury”
- PhD (Applied Chemistry), 2010, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical), 2003, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2011 to September 2013: Research Fellow, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2002 to 2003: Research Assistant, Bosch Gmbh, Stuttgart, Germany.
- Current member of Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI)
- Current member of Chemical Engineering (CHE)
- Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) from 2007 – present.
- S.K. Bhargava, S.J. Ippolito, Y.M. Sabri, Electrodeposited Gold Nanostructures. International Patent covering Australia, Canada, China, Europe, Japan, South Africa, USA. PCT/AU2010/000662 (WO 2010138996) Filed 31st May 2010. The patent has been licensed to Minsensor Pty. Ltd. who are currently rising $2.5M in capital to produce and distribute the technology worldwide.
- “The 2012 RMIT invention disclosure award” In recognition of developing a significant technology as part of his PhD
- Surface sciences award (sponsored by Particle and Surface Sciences Pty. Ltd) in 2008
- Surface sciences award (sponsored by Particle and Surface Sciences Pty. Ltd) in 2007
- AINSE travel award in 2008, $500
- Applied Materials and Interfaces, Plos One, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, Talanta, IEEE
- Sensors Journal, Journal of Sensors and Sensor Letters.
- Griffin, M.,Kabir, K.,Coyle, V.,Kandjani, A.,Sabri, Y.,Ippolito, S.,Bhargava, S. (2016). In Press - A Nanoengineered conductometric device for accurate analysis of elemental mercury vapor In: Environmental Science and Technology, , 1 - 9
- Kabir, K.,Matthews, G.,Sabri, Y.,Russo, S.,Ippolito, S.,Bhargava, S. (2016). Development and experimental verification of a finite element method for accurate analysis of a surface acoustic wave device In: Smart Materials and Structures, 25, 1 - 13
- Kabir, K.,Sabri, Y.,Lay, B.,Ippolito, S.,Bhargava, S. (2016). A silver electrode based surface acoustic wave (SAW) mercury vapor sensor: a physio-chemical and analytical investigation In: RSC Advances, 6, 36362 - 36372
- Kabir, K.,Sabri, Y.,Kandjani, A.,Ippolito, S.,Bhargava, S. (2016). Development and comparative investigation of Ag-sensitive layer based SAW and QCM sensors for mercury sensing applications In: Analyst, 141, 2463 - 2473
- Sabri, Y.,Kandjani, A.,Ippolito, S.,Bhargava, S. (2016). Ordered monolayer gold nano-urchin structures and their size induced control for high gas sensing performance In: Scientific Reports, , 1 - 10
- Deshetti, J.,Telukutla, S.,Kandjani, A.,Periasamy, S.,Sabri, Y.,Coyle, V.,Shukla, R.,Bhargava, S. (2016). Fe doped CeO2 nanorods for enhanced peroxidase-like activity and their application towards glucose detection In: Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2016, 3874 - 3885
- Kabir, K.,Lay, B.,Kandjani, A.,Sabri, Y.,Ippolito, S.,Bhargava, S. (2016). A nanoengineered surface acoustic wave device for analysis of mercury in gas phase In: Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 234, 562 - 572
- Coyle, V.,Sabri, Y.,Bhargava, S.,Kandjani, A. (2016). Au nanospikes as a non-enzymatic glucose sensor: Exploring morphological changes with the elaborated chronoamperometric method In: Electroanalysis, , 1 - 12
- Soni, S.,Kabir, K.,Babarao, R.,Coyle, V.,Sarkar, S.,Sabri, Y.,Bhargava, S. (2016). A QCM-based 'on-off'mechanistic study of gas adsorption by plasmid DNA and DNA-[Bmim][PF 6] construct In: RSC Advances, 6, 81318 - 81329
- Nafady, A.,Sabri, Y.,Kandjani, A.,Alsalme, A.,Bond, A.,Bhargava, S. (2016). Preferential synthesis of highly conducting Tl(TCNQ) phase II nanorod networks via electrochemically driven TCNQ/Tl(TCNQ) solid-solid phase transformation In: Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, , 1 - 12
- The Development of Nano-Engineered Material Sorbents for Sensing Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) by FTIR. Funded by: Agilent Technologies Inc - Applications and Core Technology Contract from (2013 to 2014)
- Study of mercury diffusion in modified sensor electrodes using SIMS. Funded by: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE) Research Grant pre-2014 from (2011 to 2011)
2 PhD Completions4 PhD Current Supervisions