Dr. Ylias Sabri’s areas of interest include: nano-structured thin films and nano-crystal growth, chemical sensors, materials development, structural characterization of thin films, mercury sensing, mercury removal speciation.
The impact of Dr Sabri’s research work has been highlighted on over 15 international scientific websites (selected few listed below) where he and/or his mentor are mentioned.
- ABC National – Science Show
- The Age – “Mercury Falling” (19-11-2009)
- Stories of Australian Science 2010 – “Measuring mercury with a Midas touch”
- AtoZofNano – “Using Nanotechnology to Measure Mercury”
- Nanotechnology Now – “Measuring Mercury with Nanotechnology”
- Nanowerk – “Pioneering nanotechnology sensor can precisely measure mercury”
- Nano techwire.com – “Measuring Mercury with Nanotechnology”
- Science Alert – “Gold nano-hairs find mercury”
- Nanotechnology and Development News – “Measuring Mercury with Nanotechnology”
- R&D mag – “Gold spikes take accurate measure of industrial mercury”
- PhD (Applied Chemistry), 2010, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical), 2003, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2011 to September 2013: Research Fellow, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2002 to 2003: Research Assistant, Bosch Gmbh, Stuttgart, Germany.
- Current member of Royal Australian Chemical Institute (RACI)
- Current member of Chemical Engineering (CHE)
- Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) from 2007 – present.
- S.K. Bhargava, S.J. Ippolito, Y.M. Sabri, Electrodeposited Gold Nanostructures. International Patent covering Australia, Canada, China, Europe, Japan, South Africa, USA. PCT/AU2010/000662 (WO 2010138996) Filed 31st May 2010. The patent has been licensed to Minsensor Pty. Ltd. who are currently rising $2.5M in capital to produce and distribute the technology worldwide.
- “The 2012 RMIT invention disclosure award” In recognition of developing a significant technology as part of his PhD
- Surface sciences award (sponsored by Particle and Surface Sciences Pty. Ltd) in 2008
- Surface sciences award (sponsored by Particle and Surface Sciences Pty. Ltd) in 2007
- AINSE travel award in 2008, $500
- Applied Materials and Interfaces, Plos One, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, Talanta, IEEE
- Sensors Journal, Journal of Sensors and Sensor Letters.
- Sabri, Y.,Ippolito, S.,Salhi, L.,Priver, S.,Ioppolo-Armanios, M.,Nunes, M.,Bhargava, S. (2017). (In Press) Detection of alkali emissions from alumina refining processes In: Hydrometallurgy, , 1 - 6
- Kabir, K.,Ippolito, S.,Kandjani, A.,Sabri, Y.,Bhargava, S. (2017). Nano-engineered surfaces for mercury vapor sensing: Current state and future possibilities In: Trends in Analytical Chemistry, 88, 77 - 99
- Singh, S.,Sabri, Y.,Deshetti, J.,Periasamy, S.,Nafady, A.,Kandjani, A.,Bhargava, S. (2017). Easy, one-step synthesis of CdTe quantum dots via microwave irradiation for fingerprinting application In: Materials Research Bulletin, 90, 260 - 265
- Sabri, Y.,Kabir, K.,Kandjani, A.,Bhargava, S. (2017). Studying the effect of dealloying Cu-Au nanostructures on their mercury sensing performance In: Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 245, 273 - 281
- Lay, B.,Kandjani, A.,Amin, M.,Kabir, K.,Ippolito, S.,Sabri, Y.,Bhargava, S. (2017). Galvanic replacement of colloidal monolayer crystal on a QCM device for selective detection of mercury vapour In: Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 250, 383 - 392
- Kabir, K.,Lay, B.,Kandjani, A.,Sabri, Y.,Ippolito, S.,Bhargava, S. (2016). A nanoengineered surface acoustic wave device for analysis of mercury in gas phase In: Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 234, 562 - 572
- Coyle, V.,Sabri, Y.,Bhargava, S.,Kandjani, A. (2016). Au nanospikes as a non-enzymatic glucose sensor: Exploring morphological changes with the elaborated chronoamperometric method In: Electroanalysis, , 1 - 12
- Soni, S.,Kabir, K.,Babarao, R.,Coyle, V.,Sarkar, S.,Sabri, Y.,Bhargava, S. (2016). A QCM-based 'on-off'mechanistic study of gas adsorption by plasmid DNA and DNA-[Bmim][PF 6] construct In: RSC Advances, 6, 81318 - 81329
- Nafady, A.,Sabri, Y.,Kandjani, A.,Alsalme, A.,Bond, A.,Bhargava, S. (2016). Preferential synthesis of highly conducting Tl(TCNQ) phase II nanorod networks via electrochemically driven TCNQ/Tl(TCNQ) solid-solid phase transformation In: Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry, , 1 - 12
- Walia, S.,Sabri, Y.,Ahmed, T.,Field, M.,Ramanathan, R.,Arash, A.,Bhargava, S.,Sriram, S.,Bhaskaran, M.,Bansal, V.,Balendhran, S. (2016). Defining the role of humidity in the ambient degradation of few-layer black phosphorus In: 2D Materials, 4, 1 - 8
- Interfacial chemistry in mineral processing (PhD Student: Victoria Coyle). Funded by: CSIRO POSTGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIPS - ENERGY from (2016 to 2020)
- The Development of Nano-Engineered Material Sorbents for Sensing Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) by FTIR. Funded by: Agilent Technologies Inc - Applications and Core Technology Contract from (2013 to 2014)
- Study of mercury diffusion in modified sensor electrodes using SIMS. Funded by: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE) Research Grant pre-2014 from (2011 to 2011)
2 PhD Completions6 PhD Current Supervisions