Professor Mark Sanderson is the Discipline Head of the Information Storage Analysis and Retrieval group in the School of Computer Science and Information Technology. Professor Mark Sanderson is a researcher in information retrieval. He works on the evaluation of search engines, summarisation, geographic search and log analysis.
Professor Sanderson is a researcher in information retrieval (IR) (e.g. web search engines). He is particularly interested in evaluation of search engines, but also works in geographic search, cross language IR (CLIR), summarisation, image retrieval by captions and word sense ambiguity.
Mark is an Associate Editor of ACM Transactions on the Web and IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering. He is co-editor of Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval and a visiting professor at the National Institute of Informatics (NII) in Tokyo.
Mark is the Deputy Head (Research) for the School of Computer Science and Information Technology. He teaches usability courses in the School.
- PhD (Sci) Glasgow
- BSc Hons, Glasgow
- Ren, Y.,Tomko, M.,Salim, F.,Ong, K.,Sanderson, M. (2016). (In Press) Analyzing web behavior in indoor retail spaces In: Association for Information Science and Technology Journal, , 1 - 15
- Aldosari, M.,Sanderson, M.,Tam, A.,Uitdenbogerd, A. (2016). Understanding collaborative search for places of interest In: Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 67, 1331 - 1344
- Amini, I.,Martinez, D.,Li, X.,Sanderson, M. (2016). Improving patient record search: A meta-data based approach In: Information Processing and Management, 52, 258 - 272
- Mohd Shariff, S.,Sanderson, M.,Zhang, X. (2016). Correlation Analysis of Reader's Demographics and Tweet Credibility Perception In: Advances in Information Retrieval: 38th European Conference on IR Research, ECIR 2016, Padua, Italy, March 20-23, 2016
- Yulianti, E.,Huspi, S.,Sanderson, M. (2016). Tweet-biased summarization In: Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 67, 1289 - 1300
- Jayasinghe, G.,Webber, W.,Sanderson, M.,Dharmasena, L.,Culpepper, J. (2015). Statistical comparisons of non-deterministic IR systems using two dimensional variance In: Information Processing and Management, 51, 677 - 694
- Trippas, J.,Spina, D.,Sanderson, M.,Cavedon, L. (2015). Towards understanding the impact of length in web search result summaries over a speech-only communication channel In: Proceedings of the 38th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, Santiago, Chile, 9 - 13 August 2015
- Vrettas, G.,Sanderson, M. (2015). Conferences versus journals in computer science In: Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 66, 2674 - 2684
- Chen, R.,Spina, D.,Croft, B.,Sanderson, M.,Scholer, F. (2015). Harnessing semantics for answer sentence retrieval In: Proceedings of the Eighth Workshop on Exploiting Semantic Annotations in Information Retrieval (ESAIR 2015), Melbourne, Australia, 23 October 2015
- Jones, T.,Thomas, P.,Scholer, F.,Sanderson, M. (2015). Features of disagreement between retrieval effectiveness measures In: Proceedings of the 38th International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR 2015), Santiago, Chile, 9-13 August 2016
- EU-Pacific Partnerships for ICT (EPIC). Funded by: Horizon 2020: ICT 2015 - Information and Communications Technologies Grant from (2017 to 2019)
- User-Adaptive Search and Evaluation for Complex Information-Seeking Tasks. Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2015 Round 1 from (2016 to 2019)
- A Learning to Rank Framework for Entity Centrality . Funded by: Abbrevi8 Grant 2016 from (2016 to 2016)
- Effective summaries for search results. Funded by: ARC Discovery Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2016)
- Answering Real-time Questions from Arabic Social Media. Administered by Qatar University. Funded by: Qatar National Research Fund Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2017)
13 PhD Current Supervisions3 PhD Completions