RMIT is a highly rated education provider of key health professions in nursing, medical science, disability, psychology, social work, chiropractic and osteopathy, and Chinese medicine.
In 2012, the Australian Research Council rated us “well above world standard” in clinical sciences and human movement and sports science, plus “above world standard” in medical physiology, pharmacology and pharmaceutical sciences and physical chemistry.
Research Centres and facilities
The combination of our reputation, researchers, facilities and equipment attracts international funding and gives us the ability to lead scientific innovation:
- Multiple sclerosis research supported by a $500,000 investment from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, a leading US research and lobby group.
- Chronic pain killer development using the powerful venom of marine cone snails.
- Nano-chip biosensor development for detecting malaria, funded by a US$100,000 Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation grant.
Research in health and social care combines expertise from across design, integration, social services and economic modelling, through to health and medical science.Current research programs include:
- biophysics and bioengineering
- education in justice, social work, aged care and disability
- Occupational Health and Safety (OHS)
- ion channels and transporters as therapeutic targets
- metabolism, exercise and disease
- traditional and complementary medicine.
In 2010, RMIT established Australia’s first Chinese Medicine Confucius Institute in a collaborative project with Nanjing University of Chinese Medicine. The University also has an ongoing partnership with the Guangdong Provincial Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences for pioneering research into the treatment of chronic pulmonary disease.
Our Centre for Applied Social Research has a strong record in partnering with industry, government and community organisations like the Department of Human Services and The Salvation Army to conduct research on issues of social welfare and employment.
Contact the Industry Engagement team to enquire about our services, or partnership opportunities.