The RMIT SPACE Research Centre focuses on the development of Platform Technologies for Space, Atmosphere and Climate.
The research encapsulates satellite positioning and tracking, GPS meteorology, atmospheric studies, geodesy and surveying. The primary research objectives of the RMIT SPACE Research Centre are to:
- Develop new algorithms and enhanced atmospheric models to enhance Australia’s capabilities in space research
- Develop new generation GNSS programs that will increase the accuracy of weather monitoring techniques and enhance understanding of the impact of climate change on Australia
- Investigate advanced platform technologies for space tracking and navigations, precise satellite positioning, space weather, atmospheric modelling and climate monitoring
- Develop Radio Occultation technology that incorporates GNSS and LEO satellites to study atmosphere, ionosphere and space weather
- Investigate the effects of the magnetosphere and atmospheric regions on ray path trajectories
- Investigate atmospheric mass density models to improve the reliability and efficiency of space surveillance systems
- Improve research methodologies in space object orbit predictions and enhance current space object catalogues
To achieve these research objectives the Centre’s research is divided up into four main research foci:
- Space Debris and Tracking
Space debris and tracking focuses on the local space environment using precise orbit determination techniques, debris surveillance and Satellite Laser Ranging.
- Atmospheric Modelling
Atmospheric modelling explores the nuances and chaotic pattern systems that are an integral part of space weather, climate science, environmental monitoring and precise positioning.
- GNSS / surveying theory and algorithm development
GNSS / surveying theory investigates the development of platform technologies and algorithms for geospatial science, geodesy and industry applications.
- Smart People Mobility and Object Tracking
Smart people mobility and object tracking looks at improving GPS accuracy for comprehensive positioning and tracking capabilities, sport applications and intelligent transportation systems.