Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
Develop your logical, analytical and creative problem solving skills and further the growth of mathematical theory and application.
You will join an active research community and work with academics, peers and partner organisations who have demonstrated research success in a range of specialities, including:
- algebraic coding theory
- complex networks and epidemiology
- computational fluid dynamics
- dynamics and control theory and applications
- environmental and resource modelling
- general mathematical modelling
- graph, complexity and network theory
- information security
- integer programming and discrete mathematics
- mathematical biology
- numerical analysis
- optimisation theory - algorithms and applications
Statistics and operations research
- analysis: survival data, reliability, exploratory data, time series, sequential, decision
- data mining
- game theory and applications
- nonparametric statistical techniques
- optimisation and applications
- statistical quality control
- sport, bio, financial, multivariate statistics
- supply chain, and stochastic modelling
- queueing theory and applications
RMIT's researchers deliver high-impact and influential outcomes.Success is demonstrated through excellent performance in university rankings, such as being ranked as well above world standard in the Australian Research Council Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2015 round.
There are collaborations with other national and international institutes, centres, groups and partners, including:
- RMIT's Information Security and Network Science group
- Computer Assisted Research on Mathematics and Applications (CARMA)
- Centre for Informatics and Applied Optimization (CIAO) at Federation University
Throughout your candidature, you will be supported through:
- an expert supervisor who will help you develop the required leadership, analytical and problem-solving qualities required to work at a world-leading level
- participation in high-quality professional development programs delivered by RMIT's School of Graduate Research
- access to RMIT’s extensive facilities, laboratories and equipment and those of our partners.
As a mathematics research candidate, you have the flexibility to pursue an individual topic, or contribute to one of our existing projects.
Candidates may be eligible for a range of scholarships including:
- Australian Postgraduate Awards - funded by the Australian Government
- PhD and Research Masters Scholarships - funded by RMIT University
- other postgraduate research scholarships
Candidates who pursue further postgraduate research may benefit from RMIT's joint relationship with the University of Twente in the Netherlands. Candidates who complete their program under this arrangement spend time studying in both Melbourne and the Netherlands and graduate with a double-badged qualification.
RMIT also hosts a node of the ATN Industry Doctoral Training Centre (Mathematics and Statistics), the first doctoral training centre in Australia.
International student visa holders can only study full-time.
Time spent on research
Full-time candidates are expected to commit at least four days per week (or at least two days per week for part-time candidates) to their research. The academic year is 48 weeks.
Regular contact with your supervisor
A schedule of meetings with your supervisor/s must be established to assess progress against milestones and timely completion.
Resources, facilities and support
You will have access to online and digital resources through the myRMIT student portal.
You will be part of an active research community and have access to resources and workshops to help you succeed.
School of Graduate Research
The School of Graduate Research works with Schools to further support candidates during their postgraduate research degree.
RMIT University is committed to providing you with an education that strongly links formal learning with professional or vocational practice.
A masters degree will provide you with a foundation for further studies into a PhD and employment in senior leadership and management research-based positions in a variety of government, non-government and corporate organisations.
Program and course information
The essential tool
Extend your problem solving and analytical skills to deliver real world outcomes.