Professor Gary Bryant is Director of Graduate Research at RMIT.
Professor Bryant's research interests cover a broad range of topics in Soft condensed matter including:
- Light, Neutron and X-ray scattering in Biology and Physics
- Phase transitions in colloidal suspensions
- Freezing and dehydration in biology
Our research has recently been selected as a highlight of research conducted at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) in 2011. See:
Major externally funded research projects
- Advanced cryobanking for propagation-recalcitrant and critically endangered plant species. ARC Linkage LP140100993, 2014-2016 (with R. Mancera (Curtin), S. Turner (UWA), Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Coping with temperature extremes: morphological constraints on leaf function in a warmer, drier climate. ARC Discovery DP110105380, 2011-2013 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Advanced Biophysical Characterisation Centre (ABCC). ARC LIEF, LE120100186. (with K. Latham, S. Richardson (RMIT), J. Gehman, F. Separovic, H. Lioe, P. Mulvaney (Melbourne), T. Mulhern (LaTrobe).
- Development of cryopreservation for high value provenance collections of recalcitrant plant species used in post-mining restoration. ARC Linkage LP0884027, 2009-2011 (with Dr. R. Mancera (Curtin Prof. A. Mark & Dr. S. Turner (UQ Dr. P. Che (UWA Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Tolerance of temperature extremes under drought: linking physiological processes with morphological constraints on leaf function. ARC Discovery DP0881009, 2008-2010 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Dr AB Nicotra (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Water content and freezing tolerance of Antarctic mosses – indicators of climate change. Australian Antarctic Division Project Grants (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Prof. J. Wolfe (UNSW).
Selected other research projects
- Gyroid to diamond peptide induced phase transition in a bicontinuous cubic phase. (with Dr. C. Garvey (ANSTO) and Prof. S. Hyde (ANU)).
- Understanding crystallization and glass formation using colloidal model systems. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Advanced light scattering techniques for the measurement of particle dynamics. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Using Dynamic Light Scattering for the investigation of bacterial motility. (with Prof. W. Poon and Dr. V. Martinez, Edinburgh)
- Effects of solutes in reducing membrane damage during dehydration. (with Prof Koster, Uni of South Dakota, USA)
- PhD UNSW, B Sc (Hons) UNSW
- Zhang, W.,Srichan, N.,Chrimes, A.,Taylor, M.,Berean, K.,Ou, J.,Daeneke, T.,O'Mullane, A.,Bryant, G.,Kalantar Zadeh, K. (2016). Sonication synthesis of micro-sized silver nanoparticle/oleic acid liquid marbles: A novel SERS sensing platform In: Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 223, 52 - 58
- Hannam, S.,Daivis, P.,Bryant, G. (2016). Molecular dynamics simulation study of the static and dynamic properties of a model colloidal suspension with explicit solvent In: Molecular Simulation, 42, 511 - 521
- Phan, S.,Salentinig, S.,Gilbert, E.,Darwish, T.,Hawley, A.,Nixon-Luke, R.,Bryant, G.,Boyd, B. (2015). Disposition and crystallization of saturated fatty acid in mixed micelles of relevance to lipid digestion In: Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 449, 160 - 166
- Ab Kadir, R.,Zhang, W.,Wang, Y.,Ou, J.,Wlodarski, W.,O'Mullane, A.,Bryant, G.,Taylor, M.,Kalantar Zadeh, K. (2015). Anodized nanoporous WO3 Schottky contact structures for hydrogen and ethanol sensing In: Journal of Materials Chemistry A, 3, 7994 - 8001
- Otsuki, A.,Bryant, G. (2015). Characterization of the interactions within fine particle mixtures in highly concentrated suspensions for advanced particle processing In: Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, 226, 37 - 43
- Rolland, V.,Bergstrom, D.,Lenne, T.,Bryant, G.,Chen, H.,Wolfe, J.,Holbrook, N.,Stanton, D.,Ball, M. (2015). Easy come, easy go: Capillary forces enable rapid refilling of embolized primary xylem vessels In: Plant Physiology, 168, 1636 - 1647
- Kent, B.,Hauß, T.,Bruno, D.,Cristiglio, V.,Darwish, T.,Hunt, T.,Bryant, G.,Garvey, C. (2015). Direct comparison of disaccharide interaction with lipid membranes at reduced hydrations In: Langmuir, 31, 9134 - 9141
- Goujon, N.,Forsyth, M.,Dumee, L.,Bryant, G.,Byrne, N. (2015). Characterization of the phase behaviour of a novel polymerizable lyotropic ionic liquid crystal In: Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 17, 23059 - 23068
- Ritchie, C.,Bryant, G. (2015). Microwave assisted synthesis of a mono organoimido functionalized Anderson polyoxometalate In: Dalton Transactions, 44, 20826 - 20829
- Kent, B.,Hunt, T.,Darwish, T.,Hauss, T.,Garvey, C.,Bryant, G. (2014). Localization of trehalose in partially hydrated DOPC bilayers: insights into cryoprotective mechanisms In: Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 11, 1 - 6
- Advanced cryobanking for propagation-recalcitrant and critically endangered plant species - Administered by Curtin University. Funded by: ARC Linkage Projects via other University 2014 from (2014 to 2017)
- Structure and Dynamics of Colloidal Hard-Spheres with Low Polydispersity. Funded by: Australian Synchrotron Research Program from (2013 to 2013)
- Deuterated DOPC for neutron Membrane Diffraction studies of penetratin-membrane. Funded by: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE) Research Projects pre-2014 from (2013 to 2013)
- Advanced Biophysical Characterisation Centre. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant from (2012 to 2013)
- Partial deuteration of the DOPC for the study of the interaction between the cell penetrating peptide Penetratin and phospholipids using neutron membrane diffraction. Funded by: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE) Research Projects pre-2014 from (2012 to 2012)
3 PhD Current Supervisions7 PhD Completions and 3 Masters by Research Completions