Professor Gary Bryant is the Associate Dean (Higher Degree Students) and the Director, Centre for Molecular and Nanoscale Physics (NanoPHYS)
Professor Bryant's research interests cover a broad range of topics in
- Light, Neutron and X-ray scattering in Biology and Physics
- Phase transitions in colloidal suspensions
- Freezing and dehydration in biology
Our research has recently been selected as a highlight of research conducted at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) in 2011. See:
Major externally funded research projects
- Advanced cryobanking for propagation-recalcitrant and critically endangered plant species. ARC Linkage LP140100993, 2014-2016 (with R. Mancera (Curtin), S. Turner (UWA), Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Coping with temperature extremes: morphological constraints on leaf function in a warmer, drier climate. ARC Discovery DP110105380, 2011-2013 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Advanced Biophysical Characterisation Centre (ABCC). ARC LIEF, LE120100186. (with K. Latham, S. Richardson (RMIT), J. Gehman, F. Separovic, H. Lioe, P. Mulvaney (Melbourne), T. Mulhern (LaTrobe).
- Development of cryopreservation for high value provenance collections of recalcitrant plant species used in post-mining restoration. ARC Linkage LP0884027, 2009-2011 (with Dr. R. Mancera (Curtin Prof. A. Mark & Dr. S. Turner (UQ Dr. P. Che (UWA Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Tolerance of temperature extremes under drought: linking physiological processes with morphological constraints on leaf function. ARC Discovery DP0881009, 2008-2010 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Dr AB Nicotra (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Water content and freezing tolerance of Antarctic mosses – indicators of climate change. Australian Antarctic Division Project Grants (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Prof. J. Wolfe (UNSW).
Selected other research projects
- Gyroid to diamond peptide induced phase transition in a bicontinuous cubic phase. (with Dr. C. Garvey (ANSTO) and Prof. S. Hyde (ANU)).
- Understanding crystallization and glass formation using colloidal model systems. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Advanced light scattering techniques for the measurement of particle dynamics. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Using Dynamic Light Scattering for the investigation of bacterial motility. (with Prof. W. Poon and Dr. V. Martinez, Edinburgh)
- Effects of solutes in reducing membrane damage during dehydration. (with Prof Koster, Uni of South Dakota, USA)
- PhD UNSW, B Sc (Hons) UNSW
- Carnovale, C.,Bryant, G.,Shukla, R.,Bansal, V. (2019). Identifying Trends in Gold Nanoparticle Toxicity and Uptake: Size, Shape, Capping Ligand, and Biological Corona In: ACS Omega, 4, 242 - 256
- Bryant, G.,Taylor, M.,Darwish, T.,Krause-Heuerb, A.,Kent, B.,Garvey, C. (2019). Effect of deuteration on the phase behaviour and structure of lamellar phases of phosphatidylcholines - Deuterated lipids as proxies for the physical properties of native bilayers In: Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 177, 196 - 203
- Shah, R.,Mata, J.,Bryant, G.,de Campo, L.,Ife, A.,Karpe, A.,Jadhav, S.,Eldridge, D.,Palombo, E.,Harding, I. (2019). Structure Analysis of Solid Lipid Nanoparticles for Drug Delivery: A Combined USANS/SANS Study In: Particle and Particle Systems Characterization, 36, 1 - 7
- Nixon-Luke, R.,Bryant, G. (2019). A Depolarized Dynamic Light Scattering Method to Calculate Translational and Rotational Diffusion Coefficients of Nanorods In: Particle and Particle Systems Characterization, 36, 1 - 7
- Xu, J.,Volfova, H.,Mulder, R.,Goerigk, L.,Bryant, G.,Riedle, E.,Ritchie, C. (2018). Visible-Light-Driven "on"/"Off" Photochromism of a Polyoxometalate Diarylethene Coordination Complex In: Journal of the American Chemical Society, 140, 10482 - 10487
- Reyhani, A.,Nothling, M.,Ranji-Burachaloo, H.,McKenzie, T.,Fu, Q.,Tan, S.,Bryant, G.,Qiao, G. (2018). Blood-Catalyzed RAFT Polymerization In: Angewandte Chemie - International Edition, 57, 10288 - 10292
- Carnovale, C.,Bryant, G.,Shukla, R.,Bansal, V. (2018). Impact of nanogold morphology on interactions with human serum In: Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 20, 29558 - 29565
- Goujon, N.,Dumee, L.,Byrne, N.,Bryant, G.,Forsyth, M. (2018). Impact of Comonomer Chemistry on Phase Behavior of Polymerizable Lyotropic Ionic Liquid Crystals: A Pre- and Post-Polymerization Study In: Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 219, 1 - 10
- Alves De Castro, I.,Chrimes, A.,Zavabeti, S.,Berean, K.,Carey, B.,Zhuang, J.,Du, Y.,Dou, S.,Suzuki, K.,Shanks, R.,Nixon-Luke, R.,Bryant, G.,Khoshmanesh, K.,Kalantar Zadeh, K.,Daeneke, T. (2017). A gallium-based magnetocaloric liquid metal ferrofluid In: Nano Letters, 17, 7831 - 7838
- Carnovale, C.,Bryant, G.,Shukla, R.,Bansal, V. (2017). Gold Nanoparticle Biodistribution and Toxicity: Role of Biological Corona in Relation with Nanoparticle Characteristics In: Metal Nanoparticles in Pharma, Springer, Cham, Switzerland
- Advanced cryobanking for recalcitrant-seeded Australian rainforest plants (administered by Curtin University). Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2016 from (2017 to 2021)
- Advanced cryobanking for propagation-recalcitrant and critically endangered plant species - Administered by Curtin University. Funded by: ARC Linkage Projects via Other University Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2019)
- Structure and Dynamics of Colloidal Hard-Spheres with Low Polydispersity. Funded by: Australian Synchrotron Research Program Grants pre-2014 from (2013 to 2013)
- Deuterated DOPC for neutron Membrane Diffraction studies of penetratin-membrane. Funded by: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE) Research Grant pre-2014 from (2013 to 2013)
- Advanced Biophysical Characterisation Centre. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant from (2012 to 2013)
3 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions8 PhD Completions and 4 Masters by Research Completions