Professor Gary Bryant is the Associate Dean (Physics) in the School of Science
Professor Bryant's research interests cover a broad range of topics in
- Light, Neutron and X-ray scattering in Biology and Physics
- Phase transitions in colloidal suspensions
- Freezing and dehydration in biology
Our research has recently been selected as a highlight of research conducted at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) in 2011. See:
Major externally funded research projects
- Advanced cryobanking for propagation-recalcitrant and critically endangered plant species. ARC Linkage LP140100993, 2014-2016 (with R. Mancera (Curtin), S. Turner (UWA), Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Coping with temperature extremes: morphological constraints on leaf function in a warmer, drier climate. ARC Discovery DP110105380, 2011-2013 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Advanced Biophysical Characterisation Centre (ABCC). ARC LIEF, LE120100186. (with K. Latham, S. Richardson (RMIT), J. Gehman, F. Separovic, H. Lioe, P. Mulvaney (Melbourne), T. Mulhern (LaTrobe).
- Development of cryopreservation for high value provenance collections of recalcitrant plant species used in post-mining restoration. ARC Linkage LP0884027, 2009-2011 (with Dr. R. Mancera (Curtin Prof. A. Mark & Dr. S. Turner (UQ Dr. P. Che (UWA Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Tolerance of temperature extremes under drought: linking physiological processes with morphological constraints on leaf function. ARC Discovery DP0881009, 2008-2010 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Dr AB Nicotra (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Water content and freezing tolerance of Antarctic mosses – indicators of climate change. Australian Antarctic Division Project Grants (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Prof. J. Wolfe (UNSW).
Selected other research projects
- Gyroid to diamond peptide induced phase transition in a bicontinuous cubic phase. (with Dr. C. Garvey (ANSTO) and Prof. S. Hyde (ANU)).
- Understanding crystallization and glass formation using colloidal model systems. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Advanced light scattering techniques for the measurement of particle dynamics. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Using Dynamic Light Scattering for the investigation of bacterial motility. (with Prof. W. Poon and Dr. V. Martinez, Edinburgh)
- Effects of solutes in reducing membrane damage during dehydration. (with Prof Koster, Uni of South Dakota, USA)
- PhD UNSW, B Sc (Hons) UNSW
- Elbourne, A.,Meftahi, N.,Greaves, T.,McConville, C.,Bryant, G.,Bryant, S.,Christofferson, A. (2021). Nanostructure of a deep eutectic solvent at solid interfaces In: Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 591, 38 - 51
- Nixon-Luke, R.,Bryant, G. (2020). Differential dynamic microscopy to measure the translational diffusion coefficient of nanorods In: Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, 32, 1 - 8
- Bagherjeri, F.,Ritchie, C.,Gable, R.,Bryant, G.,Boskovic, C. (2020). Incorporation of Vanadium and Molybdenum into Yttrium-Arsenotungstates Supported by Amino Acid Ligands In: Australian Journal of Chemistry, 73, 137 - 144
- Chang, S.,Reineck, P.,Williams, D.,Bryant, G.,Opletal, G.,Eldemrdash, S.,Chiu, P.,Osawa, E.,Barnard, A.,Dwyer, C. (2020). Dynamic self-assembly of detonation nanodiamond in water In: Nanoscale, 12, 5363 - 5367
- Raju, R.,Torrent Burgues, J.,Bryant, G. (2020). Interactions of cryoprotective agents with phospholipid membranes - A Langmuir monolayer study In: Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, 231, 1 - 8
- Eitel, K.,Bryant, G.,SCHOPE, H. (2020). A Hitchhiker�s Guide to Particle Sizing Techniques In: Langmuir, 36, 10307 - 10320
- Reineck, P.,Abraham, A.,Poddar, A.,Shukla, R.,Abe, H.,Ohshima, T.,Gibson, B.,Dekiwadia, C.,Conesa, J.,Pereiro, E.,Gelmi, A.,Bryant, G. (2020). Multimodal Imaging and Soft X-Ray Tomography of Fluorescent Nanodiamonds in Cancer Cells In: Biotechnology Journal, , 1 - 8
- Raju, R.,Hohn, H.,Karnutsch, C.,Khoshmanesh, K.,Bryant, G. (2019). Measuring volume kinetics of human monocytes in response to cryoprotectants using microfluidic technologies In: Applied Physics Letters, 114, 1 - 4
- Raju, R.,Merl, T.,Adam, M.,Staykov, E.,Ben, R.,Bryant, G.,Wilkinson, B. (2019). N-Octyl (Thio)glycosides as Potential Cryoprotectants: Glass Transition Behaviour, Membrane Permeability, and Ice Recrystallization Inhibition Studies In: Australian Journal of Chemistry, 72, 637 - 643
- Allison-Logan, S.,Karimirad, F.,Sun, Y.,McKenzie, T.,Nothling, M.,Bryant, G.,Qiao, G. (2019). Highly Living Stars via Core-First Photo-RAFT Polymerization: Exploitation for Ultra-High Molecular Weight Star Synthesis In: ACS Macro Letters, 8, 1291 - 1295
- Multifunctional Platform for Chemical Manufacturing and Energy Materials. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant from (2021 to 2021)
- Improved cryopreservation protocols for long term storage of platelets. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2019 from (2021 to 2024)
- Investigation of the interaction between blood cells and the endothelium in microfluidic devices (PhD Student: Rekha Raju). Funded by: Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Internship from (2020 to 2020)
- New insights into colloidal phase transitions using neutron scattering techniques (PhD Candidate: Katherine Chea). Funded by: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering Post Graduate Research Award from (2020 to 2023)
- The Australian Characterisation Commons at Scale (ACCS WP6) (Administered by University of New South Wales). Funded by: Australian Research Data Commons - Competitive from (2020 to 2023)
11 PhD Completions and 4 Masters by Research Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions