Professor Gary Bryant is the Associate Dean (Higher Degree Students) and the Director, Centre for Molecular and Nanoscale Physics (NanoPHYS)
Professor Bryant's research interests cover a broad range of topics in
- Light, Neutron and X-ray scattering in Biology and Physics
- Phase transitions in colloidal suspensions
- Freezing and dehydration in biology
Our research has recently been selected as a highlight of research conducted at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) in 2011. See:
Major externally funded research projects
- Advanced cryobanking for propagation-recalcitrant and critically endangered plant species. ARC Linkage LP140100993, 2014-2016 (with R. Mancera (Curtin), S. Turner (UWA), Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Coping with temperature extremes: morphological constraints on leaf function in a warmer, drier climate. ARC Discovery DP110105380, 2011-2013 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Advanced Biophysical Characterisation Centre (ABCC). ARC LIEF, LE120100186. (with K. Latham, S. Richardson (RMIT), J. Gehman, F. Separovic, H. Lioe, P. Mulvaney (Melbourne), T. Mulhern (LaTrobe).
- Development of cryopreservation for high value provenance collections of recalcitrant plant species used in post-mining restoration. ARC Linkage LP0884027, 2009-2011 (with Dr. R. Mancera (Curtin Prof. A. Mark & Dr. S. Turner (UQ Dr. P. Che (UWA Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Tolerance of temperature extremes under drought: linking physiological processes with morphological constraints on leaf function. ARC Discovery DP0881009, 2008-2010 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Dr AB Nicotra (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Water content and freezing tolerance of Antarctic mosses – indicators of climate change. Australian Antarctic Division Project Grants (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Prof. J. Wolfe (UNSW).
Selected other research projects
- Gyroid to diamond peptide induced phase transition in a bicontinuous cubic phase. (with Dr. C. Garvey (ANSTO) and Prof. S. Hyde (ANU)).
- Understanding crystallization and glass formation using colloidal model systems. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Advanced light scattering techniques for the measurement of particle dynamics. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Using Dynamic Light Scattering for the investigation of bacterial motility. (with Prof. W. Poon and Dr. V. Martinez, Edinburgh)
- Effects of solutes in reducing membrane damage during dehydration. (with Prof Koster, Uni of South Dakota, USA)
- PhD UNSW, B Sc (Hons) UNSW
- Bremer, A.,Kent, B.,Hauss, T.,Thalhammer, A.,Yepuri, N.,Darwish, T.,Garvey, C.,Bryant, G.,Hincha, D. (2017). Intrinsically disordered stress protein COR15A resides at the membrane surface during dehydration In: Biophysical Journal, 113, 572 - 579
- Hannam, S.,Daivis, P.,Bryant, G. (2017). Dramatic slowing of compositional relaxations in the approach to the glass transition for a bimodal colloidal suspension In: Physical Review E, 96, 1 - 12
- Zhang, W.,Srichan, N.,Chrimes, A.,Taylor, M.,Berean, K.,Ou, J.,Daeneke, T.,O'Mullane, A.,Bryant, G.,Kalantar Zadeh, K. (2016). Sonication synthesis of micro-sized silver nanoparticle/oleic acid liquid marbles: A novel SERS sensing platform In: Sensors and Actuators, B: Chemical, 223, 52 - 58
- Hannam, S.,Daivis, P.,Bryant, G. (2016). Molecular dynamics simulation study of the static and dynamic properties of a model colloidal suspension with explicit solvent In: Molecular Simulation, 42, 511 - 521
- Carnovale, C.,Bryant, G.,Shukla, R.,Bansal, V. (2016). Size, shape and surface chemistry of nano-gold dictate its cellular interactions, uptake and toxicity In: Progress in Materials Science, 83, 152 - 190
- Shah, R.,Bryant, G.,Taylor, M.,Eldridge, D.,Palombo, E.,Harding, I. (2016). Structure of solid lipid nanoparticles produced by a microwave-assisted microemulsion technique In: RSC Advances, 6, 36803 - 36810
- Hu, Y.,Zou, W.,Julita, V.,Ramanathan, R.,Tabor, R.,Nixon-Luke, R.,Bryant, G.,Bansal, V.,Wilkinson, B. (2016). Photomodulation of bacterial growth and biofilm formation using carbohydrate-based surfactants In: Chemical Science, 7, 6628 - 6634
- Hannam, S.,Daivis, P.,Bryant, G. (2016). Dynamics of a model colloidal suspension from dilute to freezing In: Physical Review E - Statistical, Nonlinear, and Soft Matter Physics, 94, 012619-1 - 012619-15
- Bagherjeri, F.,Vonci, M.,Nagul, E.,Ritchie, C.,Gable, R.,Taylor, M.,Bryant, G.,Guo, S.,Zhang, J.,Aparicio, P.,Lopez, X.,Poblet, J.,Boskovic, C. (2016). Mixed-metal hybrid polyoxometalates with amino acid ligands: electronic versatility and solution properties In: Inorganic Chemistry, 55, 12329 - 12347
- Ritchie, C.,Bryant, G. (2015). Microwave assisted synthesis of a mono organoimido functionalized Anderson polyoxometalate In: Dalton Transactions, 44, 20826 - 20829
- Advanced cryobanking for recalcitrant-seeded Australian rainforest plants (administered by Curtin University). Funded by: ARC Linkage Grant 2016 from (2017 to 2021)
- Advanced cryobanking for propagation-recalcitrant and critically endangered plant species - Administered by Curtin University. Funded by: ARC Linkage Projects via Other University Grant 2014 from (2014 to 2017)
- Structure and Dynamics of Colloidal Hard-Spheres with Low Polydispersity. Funded by: Australian Synchrotron Research Program Grants pre-2014 from (2013 to 2013)
- Deuterated DOPC for neutron Membrane Diffraction studies of penetratin-membrane. Funded by: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering (AINSE) Research Grant pre-2014 from (2013 to 2013)
- Advanced Biophysical Characterisation Centre. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant from (2012 to 2013)
3 PhD Current Supervisions and 2 Masters by Research Current Supervisions7 PhD Completions and 3 Masters by Research Completions