Professor Gary Bryant is the Associate Dean (Physics) in the School of Science
Professor Bryant's research interests cover a broad range of topics in
- Light, Neutron and X-ray scattering in Biology and Physics
- Phase transitions in colloidal suspensions
- Freezing and dehydration in biology
Our research has recently been selected as a highlight of research conducted at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) in 2011. See:
Major externally funded research projects
- Advanced cryobanking for propagation-recalcitrant and critically endangered plant species. ARC Linkage LP140100993, 2014-2016 (with R. Mancera (Curtin), S. Turner (UWA), Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Coping with temperature extremes: morphological constraints on leaf function in a warmer, drier climate. ARC Discovery DP110105380, 2011-2013 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Advanced Biophysical Characterisation Centre (ABCC). ARC LIEF, LE120100186. (with K. Latham, S. Richardson (RMIT), J. Gehman, F. Separovic, H. Lioe, P. Mulvaney (Melbourne), T. Mulhern (LaTrobe).
- Development of cryopreservation for high value provenance collections of recalcitrant plant species used in post-mining restoration. ARC Linkage LP0884027, 2009-2011 (with Dr. R. Mancera (Curtin Prof. A. Mark & Dr. S. Turner (UQ Dr. P. Che (UWA Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Tolerance of temperature extremes under drought: linking physiological processes with morphological constraints on leaf function. ARC Discovery DP0881009, 2008-2010 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Dr AB Nicotra (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Water content and freezing tolerance of Antarctic mosses – indicators of climate change. Australian Antarctic Division Project Grants (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Prof. J. Wolfe (UNSW).
Selected other research projects
- Gyroid to diamond peptide induced phase transition in a bicontinuous cubic phase. (with Dr. C. Garvey (ANSTO) and Prof. S. Hyde (ANU)).
- Understanding crystallization and glass formation using colloidal model systems. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Advanced light scattering techniques for the measurement of particle dynamics. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Using Dynamic Light Scattering for the investigation of bacterial motility. (with Prof. W. Poon and Dr. V. Martinez, Edinburgh)
- Effects of solutes in reducing membrane damage during dehydration. (with Prof Koster, Uni of South Dakota, USA)
- PhD UNSW, B Sc (Hons) UNSW
- Elbourne, A.,Awad, M.,Meredith, L.,Christofferson, A.,Greaves, T.,Bryant, G.,Bryant, S. (2024). Solid-liquid interfacial nanostructure of ionic liquids and deep eutectic solvents In: Encyclopedia of Solid-Liquid Interfaces, Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Penman, R.,Kariuki, R.,Shaw, Z.,Dekiwadia, C.,Christofferson, A.,Bryant, G.,Vongsvivut, J.,Bryant, S.,Elbourne, A. (2024). Gold nanoparticle adsorption alters the cell stiffness and cell wall bio-chemical landscape of Candida albicans fungal cells In: Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 654, 390 - 404
- Elbourne, A.,Dupont, M.,Kariuki, R.,Meftahi, N.,Daeneke, T.,Greaves, T.,McConville, C.,Bryant, G.,Bryant, S.,Besford, Q.,Christofferson, A. (2023). Mapping the Three-Dimensional Nanostructure of the Ionic Liquid–Solid Interface Using Atomic Force Microscopy and Molecular Dynamics Simulations In: Advanced Materials Interfaces, 10, 1 - 14
- Eldemrdash, S.,Thalassinos, G.,Alzahrani, A.,Sun, Q.,Greaves, T.,Greentree, A.,Bryant, G.,Gibson, B.,Reineck, P., et al, . (2023). Fluorescent HPHT nanodiamonds have disk- and rod-like shapes In: Carbon, 206, 268 - 276
- Garvey, C.,Bryant, S.,Elbourne, A.,Hunt, T.,Kent, B.,Kreuzer, M.,Strobl, M.,Steitz, R.,Bryant, G. (2023). Phase separation in a ternary DPPC/DOPC/POPC system with reducing hydration In: Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 638, 719 - 732
- Polash, S.,Garlick-Trease, K.,Pyreddy, S.,Periasamy, S.,Bryant, G.,Shukla, R. (2023). Amino Acid-Coated Zeolitic Imidazolate Framework for Delivery of Genetic Material in Prostate Cancer Cell In: Molecules, 28, 1 - 14
- Bryant, S.,Elbourne, A.,Greaves, T.,Bryant, G. (2023). Phytantriol phase behaviour in choline chloride urea and water mixtures In: Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 11, 6868 - 6880
- Al-Shahrani, M.,Bryant, G. (2022). Differential dynamic microscopy for the characterisation of motility in biological systems In: Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 24, 20616 - 20623
- Kariuki, R.,Penman, R.,Bryant, S.,Orrell-Trigg, R.,Meftahi, N.,Crawford, R.,McConville, C.,Bryant, G.,Voitchovsky, K.,Conn, C.,Christofferson, A.,Elbourne, A. (2022). Behavior of Citrate-Capped Ultrasmall Gold Nanoparticles on a Supported Lipid Bilayer Interface at Atomic Resolution In: ACS Nano, 16, 17179 - 17196
- Capricho, J.,Subhani, K.,Chai, B.,Bryant, G.,Salim, N.,Juodkazis, S.,Fox, B.,Hameed, N. (2022). Porous macroradical epoxy-based supercapacitors In: Polymer, 259, 1 - 12
- Probing the Interactions of Metal Nanomaterials with Synthetic Cell Membranes. AINSE Postgraduate Research Award ( Student: Rowan Penman). Funded by: AINSE Post Graduate Research Award - Contract from (2023 to 2023)
- Multifunctional Platform for Chemical Manufacturing and Energy Materials. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant from (2021 to 2023)
- Improved cryopreservation protocols for long term storage of platelets. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2019 from (2021 to 2024)
- Development and Test of MAPRad for Space Applications (Administered by CD3D). Funded by: Australian Space Agency - Competitive from (2021 to 2022)
- Interactions of Potential Novel Cryoprotectants with Model Lipid Membranes. Funded by: AINSE Early Career Researcher Grant from (2021 to 2022)
10 PhD Current Supervisions12 PhD Completions and 5 Masters by Research Completions