Professor Gary Bryant
Position: Associate Dean, Physics
College / Portfolio: STEM College
School / Department: STEM|School of Science
Campus: City Campus
Contact me about: Research supervision, Media comments
Professor Gary Bryant is the Associate Dean (Physics) in the School of Science
Professor Bryant's research interests cover a broad range of topics in
- Light, Neutron and X-ray scattering in Biology and Physics
- Phase transitions in colloidal suspensions
- Freezing and dehydration in biology
Our research has recently been selected as a highlight of research conducted at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) in 2011. See:
Major externally funded research projects
- Advanced cryobanking for propagation-recalcitrant and critically endangered plant species. ARC Linkage LP140100993, 2014-2016 (with R. Mancera (Curtin), S. Turner (UWA), Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Coping with temperature extremes: morphological constraints on leaf function in a warmer, drier climate. ARC Discovery DP110105380, 2011-2013 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Advanced Biophysical Characterisation Centre (ABCC). ARC LIEF, LE120100186. (with K. Latham, S. Richardson (RMIT), J. Gehman, F. Separovic, H. Lioe, P. Mulvaney (Melbourne), T. Mulhern (LaTrobe).
- Development of cryopreservation for high value provenance collections of recalcitrant plant species used in post-mining restoration. ARC Linkage LP0884027, 2009-2011 (with Dr. R. Mancera (Curtin Prof. A. Mark & Dr. S. Turner (UQ Dr. P. Che (UWA Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Tolerance of temperature extremes under drought: linking physiological processes with morphological constraints on leaf function. ARC Discovery DP0881009, 2008-2010 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Dr AB Nicotra (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Water content and freezing tolerance of Antarctic mosses – indicators of climate change. Australian Antarctic Division Project Grants (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Prof. J. Wolfe (UNSW).
Selected other research projects
- Gyroid to diamond peptide induced phase transition in a bicontinuous cubic phase. (with Dr. C. Garvey (ANSTO) and Prof. S. Hyde (ANU)).
- Understanding crystallization and glass formation using colloidal model systems. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Advanced light scattering techniques for the measurement of particle dynamics. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Using Dynamic Light Scattering for the investigation of bacterial motility. (with Prof. W. Poon and Dr. V. Martinez, Edinburgh)
- Effects of solutes in reducing membrane damage during dehydration. (with Prof Koster, Uni of South Dakota, USA)
- PhD UNSW, B Sc (Hons) UNSW
- Bryant, S.,Christofferson, A.,Greaves, T.,McConville, C.,Bryant, G.,Elbourne, A. (2022). Bulk and interfacial nanostructure and properties in deep eutectic solvents: Current perspectives and future directions In: Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 608, 2430 - 2454
- Binns, J.,Darmanin, C.,Kewish, C.,Kadaoluwa Pathirannahalage, S.,Berntsen, P.,Adams, P.,Paporakis, S.,Wells, D.,Roque, F.,Abbey, B.,Bryant, G.,Conn, C.,Mudie, S.,Hawley, A.,Ryan, T.,Greaves, T.,Martin, A. (2022). Preferred orientation and its effects on intensity-correlation measurements In: IUCrJ, 9, 231 - 242
- Shaw, Z.,Cheeseman, S.,Huang, L.,Penman, R.,Ahmed, T.,Bryant, S.,Bryant, G.,Christofferson, A.,Orrell-Trigg, R.,Dekiwadia, C.,Truong, V.,Vongsvivut, J.,Walia, S.,Elbourne, A. (2022). Illuminating the biochemical interaction of antimicrobial few-layer black phosphorus with microbial cells using synchrotron macro-ATR-FTIR In: Journal of Materials Chemistry B, , 1 - 13
- Nixon-Luke, R.,Arlt, J.,Poon, W.,Bryant, G.,Martinez, V. (2022). Probing the dynamics of turbid colloidal suspensions using differential dynamic microscopy In: Soft Matter, 18, 1858 - 1867
- Raju, R.,Torrent-Burgués, J.,Bryant, G. (2022). Effects of cryoprotectants on phospholipid monolayers - Concentration and species dependence In: Australian Journal of Chemistry, 75, 165 - 173
- Linklater, D.,Bryant, G.,Perera, P.,Ivanova, E. P., et al, . (2022). Lethal Interactions of Atomically Precise Gold Nanoclusters and Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus Bacterial Cells In: ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 14, 32634 - 32645
- Bryant, S.,Awad, M.,Elbourne, A.,Christofferson, A.,Martin, A.,Meftahi, N.,Drummond, C.,Greaves, T.,Bryant, G. (2022). Deep eutectic solvents as cryoprotective agents for mammalian cells In: Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 10, 4546 - 4560
- Al-Shahrani, M.,Bryant, G. (2022). Differential dynamic microscopy for the characterisation of motility in biological systems In: Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 24, 20616 - 20623
- Kariuki, R.,Penman, R.,Bryant, S.,Orrell-Trigg, R.,Meftahi, N.,Crawford, R.,McConville, C.,Bryant, G.,Voitchovsky, K.,Conn, C.,Christofferson, A.,Elbourne, A. (2022). Behavior of Citrate-Capped Ultrasmall Gold Nanoparticles on a Supported Lipid Bilayer Interface at Atomic Resolution In: ACS Nano, 16, 17179 - 17196
- Capricho, J.,Subhani, K.,Chai, B.,Bryant, G.,Salim, N.,Juodkazis, S.,Fox, B.,Hameed, N. (2022). Porous macroradical epoxy-based supercapacitors In: Polymer, 259, 1 - 12
- Multifunctional Platform for Chemical Manufacturing and Energy Materials. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant from (2021 to 2023)
- Improved cryopreservation protocols for long term storage of platelets. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2019 from (2021 to 2024)
- Development and Test of MAPRad for Space Applications (Administered by CD3D). Funded by: Australian Space Agency - Competitive from (2021 to 2022)
- Interactions of Potential Novel Cryoprotectants with Model Lipid Membranes. Funded by: AINSE Early Career Researcher Grant from (2021 to 2022)
- New insights into colloidal phase transitions using neutron scattering techniques (PhD Candidate: Katherine Chea). Funded by: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering Post Graduate Research Award from (2020 to 2023)
Note: Supervision projects since 2004
11 PhD Completions and 4 Masters by Research Completions8 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions
Biophysics, colloid physics, cryobiology, phase transitions, vitrification, biological membranes, remote sensing, Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS), Static Light Scattering (SLS), Small Angle Neutron Scattering (SANS), Small Angle X-ray Scattering (SAXS), Solid State Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC).