Professor Gary Bryant is the Associate Dean (Physics) in the School of Science
Professor Bryant's research interests cover a broad range of topics in
- Light, Neutron and X-ray scattering in Biology and Physics
- Phase transitions in colloidal suspensions
- Freezing and dehydration in biology
Our research has recently been selected as a highlight of research conducted at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) in 2011. See:
Major externally funded research projects
- Advanced cryobanking for propagation-recalcitrant and critically endangered plant species. ARC Linkage LP140100993, 2014-2016 (with R. Mancera (Curtin), S. Turner (UWA), Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Coping with temperature extremes: morphological constraints on leaf function in a warmer, drier climate. ARC Discovery DP110105380, 2011-2013 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Advanced Biophysical Characterisation Centre (ABCC). ARC LIEF, LE120100186. (with K. Latham, S. Richardson (RMIT), J. Gehman, F. Separovic, H. Lioe, P. Mulvaney (Melbourne), T. Mulhern (LaTrobe).
- Development of cryopreservation for high value provenance collections of recalcitrant plant species used in post-mining restoration. ARC Linkage LP0884027, 2009-2011 (with Dr. R. Mancera (Curtin Prof. A. Mark & Dr. S. Turner (UQ Dr. P. Che (UWA Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Tolerance of temperature extremes under drought: linking physiological processes with morphological constraints on leaf function. ARC Discovery DP0881009, 2008-2010 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Dr AB Nicotra (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Water content and freezing tolerance of Antarctic mosses – indicators of climate change. Australian Antarctic Division Project Grants (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Prof. J. Wolfe (UNSW).
Selected other research projects
- Gyroid to diamond peptide induced phase transition in a bicontinuous cubic phase. (with Dr. C. Garvey (ANSTO) and Prof. S. Hyde (ANU)).
- Understanding crystallization and glass formation using colloidal model systems. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Advanced light scattering techniques for the measurement of particle dynamics. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Using Dynamic Light Scattering for the investigation of bacterial motility. (with Prof. W. Poon and Dr. V. Martinez, Edinburgh)
- Effects of solutes in reducing membrane damage during dehydration. (with Prof Koster, Uni of South Dakota, USA)
- PhD UNSW, B Sc (Hons) UNSW
- Elbourne, A.,Besford, Q.,Meftahi, N.,Crawford, R.,Daeneke, T.,Greaves, T.,McConville, C.,Bryant, G.,Bryant, S.,Christofferson, A. (2022). The Impact of Water on the Lateral Nanostructure of a Deep Eutectic Solvent-Solid Interface In: Australian Journal of Chemistry, 75, 111 - 125
- Bryant, S.,Christofferson, A.,Greaves, T.,McConville, C.,Bryant, G.,Elbourne, A. (2022). Bulk and interfacial nanostructure and properties in deep eutectic solvents: Current perspectives and future directions In: Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 608, 2430 - 2454
- Binns, J.,Darmanin, C.,Kewish, C.,Kadaoluwa Pathirannahalage, S.,Berntsen, P.,Adams, P.,Paporakis, S.,Wells, D.,Roque, F.,Abbey, B.,Bryant, G.,Conn, C.,Mudie, S.,Hawley, A.,Ryan, T.,Greaves, T.,Martin, A. (2022). Preferred orientation and its effects on intensity-correlation measurements In: IUCrJ, 9, 231 - 242
- Shaw, Z.,Cheeseman, S.,Christofferson, A.,Huang, L.,Penman, R.,Ahmed, T.,Bryant, S.,Bryant, G.,Christofferson, A.,Orrell-Trigg, R.,Dekiwadia, C.,Truong, V.,Vongsvivut, J.,Walia, S.,Elbourne, A. (2022). Illuminating the biochemical interaction of antimicrobial few-layer black phosphorus with microbial cells using synchrotron macro-ATR-FTIR In: Journal of Materials Chemistry B, , 1 - 13
- Nixon-Luke, R.,Arlt, J.,Poon, W.,Bryant, G.,Martinez, V. (2022). Probing the dynamics of turbid colloidal suspensions using differential dynamic microscopy In: Soft Matter, 18, 1858 - 1867
- Raju, R.,Torrent-Burgués, J.,Bryant, G. (2022). Effects of cryoprotectants on phospholipid monolayers - Concentration and species dependence In: Australian Journal of Chemistry, 75, 165 - 173
- Linklater, D.,Bryant, G.,Perera, P.,Ivanova, E. P., et al, . (2022). Lethal Interactions of Atomically Precise Gold Nanoclusters and Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus Bacterial Cells In: ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 14, 32634 - 32645
- Bryant, S.,Awad, M.,Elbourne, A.,Christofferson, A.,Martin, A.,Meftahi, N.,Drummond, C.,Greaves, T.,Bryant, G. (2022). Deep eutectic solvents as cryoprotective agents for mammalian cells In: Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 10, 4546 - 4560
- Eldemrdash, S.,Nixon-Luke, R.,Thomsen, L.,Tadich, A.,Lau, D.,Chang, S.,Greaves, T.,Bryant, G.,Reineck, P. (2021). The effect of salt and particle concentration on the dynamic self-assembly of detonation nanodiamonds in water In: Nanoscale, 13, 14110 - 14118
- Jadhav, S.,Bryant, G.,Mata, J.,Eldridge, D.,Palombo, E.,Harding, I.,Shah, R. (2021). Structural aspects of a self-emulsifying multifunctional amphiphilic excipient: Part II. The case of Cremophor EL In: Journal of Molecular Liquids, 344, 1 - 11
- Multifunctional Platform for Chemical Manufacturing and Energy Materials. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant from (2021 to 2022)
- Improved cryopreservation protocols for long term storage of platelets. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2019 from (2021 to 2024)
- Development and Test of MAPRad for Space Applications (Administered by CD3D). Funded by: Australian Space Agency - Competitive from (2021 to 2022)
- Interactions of Potential Novel Cryoprotectants with Model Lipid Membranes. Funded by: AINSE Early Career Researcher Grant from (2021 to 2022)
- New insights into colloidal phase transitions using neutron scattering techniques (PhD Candidate: Katherine Chea). Funded by: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering Post Graduate Research Award from (2020 to 2023)
11 PhD Completions and 4 Masters by Research Completions7 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions