Professor Gary Bryant is the Associate Dean (Physics) in the School of Science
Professor Bryant's research interests cover a broad range of topics in
- Light, Neutron and X-ray scattering in Biology and Physics
- Phase transitions in colloidal suspensions
- Freezing and dehydration in biology
Our research has recently been selected as a highlight of research conducted at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF) in 2011. See:
Major externally funded research projects
- Advanced cryobanking for propagation-recalcitrant and critically endangered plant species. ARC Linkage LP140100993, 2014-2016 (with R. Mancera (Curtin), S. Turner (UWA), Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Coping with temperature extremes: morphological constraints on leaf function in a warmer, drier climate. ARC Discovery DP110105380, 2011-2013 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Advanced Biophysical Characterisation Centre (ABCC). ARC LIEF, LE120100186. (with K. Latham, S. Richardson (RMIT), J. Gehman, F. Separovic, H. Lioe, P. Mulvaney (Melbourne), T. Mulhern (LaTrobe).
- Development of cryopreservation for high value provenance collections of recalcitrant plant species used in post-mining restoration. ARC Linkage LP0884027, 2009-2011 (with Dr. R. Mancera (Curtin Prof. A. Mark & Dr. S. Turner (UQ Dr. P. Che (UWA Dr. E. Bunn (Botanic Gardens, WA)).
- Tolerance of temperature extremes under drought: linking physiological processes with morphological constraints on leaf function. ARC Discovery DP0881009, 2008-2010 (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Dr AB Nicotra (ANU Dr L Sack (UCLA Prof. NM Holbrook (Harvard)).
- Water content and freezing tolerance of Antarctic mosses – indicators of climate change. Australian Antarctic Division Project Grants (with Prof. M. Ball (ANU), Prof. J. Wolfe (UNSW).
Selected other research projects
- Gyroid to diamond peptide induced phase transition in a bicontinuous cubic phase. (with Dr. C. Garvey (ANSTO) and Prof. S. Hyde (ANU)).
- Understanding crystallization and glass formation using colloidal model systems. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Advanced light scattering techniques for the measurement of particle dynamics. (with Emeritus Prof. W van Megen)
- Using Dynamic Light Scattering for the investigation of bacterial motility. (with Prof. W. Poon and Dr. V. Martinez, Edinburgh)
- Effects of solutes in reducing membrane damage during dehydration. (with Prof Koster, Uni of South Dakota, USA)
- PhD UNSW, B Sc (Hons) UNSW
- Raju, R.,Bryant, S.,Wilkinson, B.,Bryant, G. (2021). The need for novel cryoprotectants and cryopreservation protocols: Insights into the importance of biophysical investigation and cell permeability In: Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - General Subjects, 1865, 1 - 11
- Elbourne, A.,Meftahi, N.,Greaves, T.,McConville, C.,Bryant, G.,Bryant, S.,Christofferson, A. (2021). Nanostructure of a deep eutectic solvent at solid interfaces In: Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 591, 38 - 51
- Feller, D.,Otten, M.,Hildebrandt, M.,Krusmann, M.,Bryant, G.,karg, M. (2021). Translational and rotational diffusion coefficients of gold nanorods functionalized with a high molecular weight, thermoresponsive ligand: a depolarized dynamic light scattering study In: Soft Matter, 17, 4019 - 4026
- Elbourne, A.,Besford, Q.,Meftahi, N.,Crawford, R.,Daeneke, T.,Greaves, T.,McConville, C.,Bryant, G.,Bryant, S.,Christofferson, A. (2021). The Impact of Water on the Lateral Nanostructure of a Deep Eutectic Solvent-Solid Interface In: Australian Journal of Chemistry, , 1 - 15
- Bryant, S.,Brown, S.,Martin, A.,Arunkumar, R.,Raju, R.,Elbourne, A.,Bryant, G.,Drummond, C.,Greaves, T. (2021). Cryopreservation of mammalian cells using protic ionic liquid solutions In: Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 603, 491 - 500
- Chang, S.,Reineck, P.,Williams, D.,Bryant, G.,Opletal, G.,Eldemrdash, S.,Chiu, P.,Osawa, E.,Barnard, A.,Dwyer, C. (2020). Dynamic self-assembly of detonation nanodiamond in water In: Nanoscale, 12, 5363 - 5367
- Raju, R.,Torrent Burgues, J.,Bryant, G. (2020). Interactions of cryoprotective agents with phospholipid membranes - A Langmuir monolayer study In: Chemistry and Physics of Lipids, 231, 1 - 8
- Eitel, K.,Bryant, G.,SCHOPE, H. (2020). A Hitchhiker’s Guide to Particle Sizing Techniques In: Langmuir, 36, 10307 - 10320
- Reineck, P.,Abraham, A.,Poddar, A.,Shukla, R.,Abe, H.,Ohshima, T.,Gibson, B.,Dekiwadia, C.,Conesa, J.,Pereiro, E.,Gelmi, A.,Bryant, G. (2020). Multimodal Imaging and Soft X-Ray Tomography of Fluorescent Nanodiamonds in Cancer Cells In: Biotechnology Journal, , 1 - 8
- Linklater, D.,Bryant, G.,Crawford, R.,Ivanova, E., et al, . (2020). Antibacterial Action of Nanoparticles by Lethal Stretching of Bacterial Cell Membranes In: Advanced Materials, 32, 1 - 15
- Multifunctional Platform for Chemical Manufacturing and Energy Materials. Funded by: ARC Linkage Infrastructure Equipment and Facilities (LIEF) Grant from (2021 to 2022)
- Improved cryopreservation protocols for long term storage of platelets. Funded by: ARC Linkage Project Grants 2019 from (2021 to 2024)
- New insights into colloidal phase transitions using neutron scattering techniques (PhD Candidate: Katherine Chea). Funded by: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering Post Graduate Research Award from (2020 to 2023)
- Investigation of the interaction between blood cells and the endothelium in microfluidic devices (PhD Student: Rekha Raju). Funded by: Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute Internship from (2020 to 2020)
- The Australian Characterisation Commons at Scale (ACCS WP6) (Administered by University of New South Wales). Funded by: Australian Research Data Commons - Competitive from (2020 to 2023)
11 PhD Completions and 4 Masters by Research Completions5 PhD Current Supervisions and 1 Masters by Research Current Supervisions