Sorry, this program is not available for local students.
Please contact Info Corner to discuss other study options.
Sorry, this program is not available for international students intending to study on a student visa.
If you hold a different visa type, you may be eligible. Please contact us for more information.
Be a creative force in the global fashion industry as a fashion stylist shaping original imagery for brands, personalities and media channels.
This program has a selection task.
If you have always wanted to work in fashion, have flair for the creative and are inspired to help individuals or businesses achieve their project goals then RMIT’s Diploma of Fashion Styling will assist you to develop your creative skills and fashion knowledge to work at the forefront of the global styling industry.
You’ll work to simulated and real-world industry briefs and learn how to provide an individual or business with creative styling solutions for areas including fashion editorials for print or television advertising campaigns, style artists for music videos and concert performances and provide fashion image consultancy for personalities, models or other public figures.
In RMIT’s state-of-the-art studio spaces you will work with industry connected teachers and learn to successfully operate as an independent stylist or collaborate in teams to investigate potential scenarios where you will develop and create original styling solutions.
You will develop the following skills and knowledge to:
- Understand consumer behaviour
- Identity current local and global fashion design trends
- Develop Team leading skills
- Develop, communicate and sell your concept
- Develop networks with fashion industry
You will use these skills and knowledge to work locally and internationally in the fields of:
- Style focused social media and online website and blogs
- Style merchandising for photography and editorials
- personal fashion styling
- fashion retail or brand stylist and creative specialist
- Event management.
This is your opportunity to make an impact in the creative world of fashion with a rewarding career as a fashion stylist.
This program offers a variety of learning and teaching approaches to give you direct insights and experience in the global fashion workplace.
You will develop the practical skills and knowledge to perform the duties and tasks in a range of different job roles associated with Fashion Styling.
Classes are interactive and provide you with the opportunity to discuss ideas and practice new skills.
You will participate in the following class or workshop activities to:
- develop fashion editorials and fashion catalogues,
- create your own blog and social media sites,
- work on fashion styling photo-shoots for film or television,
- work in the photographic studio creating fashion images for fashion brands
- work at fashion events including a fashion parade.
You will learn and be assessed through:
- independent work
- group work
- on-line interaction.
Some assessment activities include case studies and formal presentations to groups, including fashion industry representatives.
You will be expected to attend 24 hours per week of classes and undertake approximately 8 hours of extra study and research weekly. There are often concentrated periods of self-directed study, research and out-of-class work when assessments are due.
Class sizes are approximately 21 students.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Work with a fashion stylist on an industry based project which may include meeting a target market or fashion brand styling brief.
- You will be involved in planning and running a fashion event or runway show.
- Work placement. You will gain on-the-job training with a fashion stylist or styling related company for a minimum of 60 hours.
In your studies you will participate in industry styling events and fashion styling opportunities including,
- trade and fashion shows
- guest speakers
- meet designers, fashion stylists, retailers and fashion magazine editors, either at RMIT events or during excursions.
Graduates of the Diploma of Fashion styling have the capability to work in a range of jobs in the fashion and fashion styling industry including:
- personal stylist or image consultant
- editorial, catalogue or commercial fashion stylist
- wardrobe stylist for film or TV
- fashion show and event stylist
- fashion and style blogger
- social media fashion stylist
- fashion retail stylist
- creative specialist
- fashion brand stylist.
RMIT Fashion and Textiles can provide you with global opportunities to study overseas through study tours to Asia, United States of American and European cities.
These activities involve additional expenses, and while overseas travel is not a requirement of the program, we encourage you to take advantage of these opportunities if you are able. Some financial support is available from the university to support overseas study experiences.