Extensions of time for submission of assessable work
Students impacted by COVID-19
If your studies have been impacted by Coronavirus (COVID-19), you might need extra time to complete your assessments. You can request an extension of time for these assessments of up to 21 days (instead of the usual 7 days). To apply, complete the Application for extension of time form and submit it to your school.
Please note that normal application timeframes still apply - you must apply at least one working day before the assessment deadline.
If you need an extension of time beyond 21 days, you should apply for special consideration.
What is an extension of time for submission of assessable work?
If you are prevented from submitting an assessment on time, by circumstances outside your control, you may apply in advance for an extension to the due date of up to seven calendar days.
Where an extension of greater than seven days is needed, you must apply for special consideration.
However, if you have an equitable assessment arrangement which provides for negotiation of submission dates with relevant academic/teaching staff, extensions of more than seven days may be considered.
- See Adjustments to assessment to find out whether an extension of time for submission of assessable work is the right type of assessment adjustment for your circumstances.
How to apply
- If you are seeking an extension of seven calendar days or less (from the original due date) you must apply at least one working day before the assessment deadline.
- Complete an Application for extension of time for submission of assessable work form (PDF 41kb 2p) and lodge it with the RMIT school that runs the course.
- Lodgment arrangements can vary according to individual school procedures. It is your responsibility to check whether the form should be lodged with the School Administrative Officer, Course Coordinator (Higher Education), Program Manager (VET) or the teaching staff member who will mark the assessment.
- Where your documentary evidence is in a language other than English, you must provide an English translation by a NAATI accredited translator.