This section contains important aspects for WIL placements and projects.

Discipline or course specific information regarding your placement or project is provided by your School. Check your course guide or see Contacts.

Health Safety and Wellbeing

When you are doing WIL activities with industry/community partners, you need to be aware of workplace behaviours and expectations.

RMIT rejects all forms of unacceptable behaviour. This applies at all times, including while you undertake your WIL placement or project.

The following behaviours are unacceptable - It’s not ok to be treated this way, it’s not ok to behave this way.

  1. Bullying (including cyber bullying) – physical, verbal, psychological. Bullying is a pattern of repeated physical, verbal, psychological or social aggression that is directed towards a person by someone more powerful and is intended to cause harm, distress and/or fear.
  2. Unlawful Discrimination (direct and indirect). Unlawful discrimination is treating, or proposing to treat, someone unfavourably because of a personal characteristic.
  3. Stalking - Stalking is when a person does something repeatedly that causes another person harm or to fear for their safety.
  4. Victimisation - subjecting, or threatening to subject, someone to something detrimental.
  5. Sexual assault - sexual activity that a person has not consented to.
  6. Sexual harassment - unwanted, unwelcome or uninvited behaviour of a sexual nature.

For further information as to what constitutes the above visit, RMIT Safer Community.

If you experience any form of inappropriate conduct, you should contact your WIL Coordinator and your Workplace Supervisor immediately. However, if for some reason you cannot contact them or don’t feel comfortable to do so, you should contact RMIT Safer Community. If you have been harmed or in danger of harm, you should contact the emergency services or ask someone to do so on your behalf.

When you undertake a placement or project with industry/community partners, you need to be aware of workplace behaviours and expectations.

  • Where you have access to privileged or confidential information during your placement or project, the partner organisation may require that you sign a confidentiality agreement.
  • After signing the confidentiality deed, you must not disclose the partner organisation’s confidential information except for the “Approved Purposes” in the confidentiality agreement itself.
  • Both students and workplace supervisors are required to abide by their professional association’s regulations and by relevant organisation rules regarding confidentiality.
  • You may be asked to sign a specific confidentiality agreement prior to the commencement of the placement.
  • Supervisors should orientate you with the relevant information regarding organisation’s confidentiality regulations prior to commencement of the placement.

A number of ethical and professional practice risks may arise when you undertake WIL activities. These include:

  • having access to confidential data, research, products and designs;
  • interacting with or questioning employees and the public; and
  • recording, reporting and sharing information as part of coursework and assessments.

Matters concerning confidentiality, ethics and workplace rights may be impacted upon by any professional regulatory body you are registered with.

If you have a personal circumstance or religious or cultural considerations that you believe may impact your placement or project and for which you may require support, it is recommended that you notify RMIT well before starting your placement or project:

  • Speak directly with your WIL Coordinator if you are pregnant or have a temporary injury that may impact your placement or project.
  • It is important to speak with your WIL Coordinator if you feel that consideration of cultural or religious background / needs may be required during your placement or project. Considerations may be made in relation to prayer times and locations, required clothing and so on.

Disability, long term illness and / or mental health conditions

Equitable Learning Services (ELS) is a confidential service that provides support for students living with disability, long term illness or mental health condition. To register with ELS, you need to provide medical documentation about your condition. This information remains confidential. The impact (not the diagnosis) of your condition and the recommended supports (reasonable adjustments) are communicated to the WIL Coordinator via the ELS Plan.

You are under no legal obligation to share the nature of your condition with any other staff within the University. However it is highly recommended that if you believe your condition could create a risk to yourself or to others during the placement or project, you should discuss this potential impact with ELS and / or if you are comfortable, the WIL Coordinator.

If you do decide to share personal health related information with the WIL Coordinator in order to discuss the impact of your condition during a placement or project and plan that placement or project, this information should not be released to WIL partner organisations without your written consent.

Sharing of health related information is a personal decision. ELS can provide you with information about the pros and cons of sharing personal and health related information.

Where applicable you should provide a set of instructions for someone to follow in the event of an emergency or deterioration in your health. This should include your doctor’s contact details and any medications (including dosage) to be administered in an emergency.

'For further information refer to the WIL Guidelines for Students living with a Disability, long term illness and/ or mental health condition (PDF, 2 pg)

Following Occupational Health & Safety practices and procedures should prevent most injuries, however injuries can sometimes occur.

If you are physically injured or acquire a health condition (physical or mental) whilst undertaking your WIL, it must be appropriately managed. Listed below are steps to follow:

1. Get immediate first aid or medical assistance if required.

2. Tell your Workplace Supervisor and your WIL Coordinator of the situation as soon as possible.

3. Make a record of the details of the event and circumstances in which it happened and complete an incident form (partner organisation’s or RMIT’s).

4. It is recommended that you register with Equitable Learning Services (ELS) as ELS can assist you in can assist you regarding how your conditions may affect your placement or project.

5. If you feel you need support, RMIT provides a safe, friendly and confidential environment for you to talk and deal with personal issues and mental health. Contact RMIT Counselling to make an appointment.

Each workplace will have its own unique hazards. You may be doing a medical placement, or placement on a building site or in an office. You may be undertaking a WIL project on-campus at RMIT. Regardless of where you do your placement or project, the best line of defence against injury or illness is to pay attention to what you are doing and be alert to potential hazards. Some of the common hazards to consider may be:

  • noise – machinery, traffic, music;
  • electrical – faulty cords, plugs, equipment;
  • manual handling – lifting, pushing, pulling;
  • biological – blood, bacteria, viruses;
  • psychological – violence, bullying, harassment;
  • chemical – cancer drugs, laboratory chemicals, cleaning products

The way each partner organisation manages and controls its safety will vary. It will also depend to some extent on the hazards present and what control measures are available. Control measures can include eliminating the hazard completely, engineering solutions such as fume hoods, administrative controls such as safe procedures, and the wearing of personal protective equipment (PPE) such as safety helmets, glasses and boots; high visibility vests; life jackets and even sunscreen. What is PPE?

  • PPE is any clothing, equipment or substance designed to protect you from injury or illness. If you are required to use PPE then ensure it is appropriate for the job, it fits properly and is used correctly.

While your partner organisation has the ultimate responsibility and duty of care to provide and maintain a safe work environment, including all machinery, equipment and substances, you are expected to do everything reasonably possible to protect your own health and safety and that of others. This means you must:

  • follow all reasonable instructions;
  • use any protective equipment provided;
  • not put other employees or members of the public at risk of injury or illness;
  • not work under the influence of drugs or alcohol

By not adhering to the above, you put yourself and others at risk, meaning you would also be at risk from being withdrawn from your placement.

At the start of your placement or project, your partner organisation should inform you of relevant workplace and profession-specific OHS issues to help you understand the risks, OHS systems and the part you have to play in workplace safety. If you are not provided with this information, you should immediately advise your WIL Coordinator.

  • If you don’t understand the information provided to you, ask your Workplace Supervisor for clarification immediately. If you remain unsure, seek further clarification or advice from your WIL Coordinator.
  • For more information visit Occupational Health & Safety Act 2004.

Concerns about any issues should be addressed at the earliest opportunity. You may withdraw early from your placement or project if you feel unsafe or uncomfortable. Your WIL Coordinator may be advised of these concerns either by you or your partner organisation. RMIT has the right to withdraw a student from a WIL activity for issues such as:

  • consistent failure by the student to perform after guidance has been given. Watch this example:
  • a health condition which significantly restricts the ability of a student to comply with the partner organisation’s OHS requirements.
  • breaches of legal, professional or ethical codes by the student or partner organisation.

You must not withdraw from your placement or project without sufficient reason. This includes not un-enrolling in your WIL course and not turning up to your placement/agreed project time. You must contact your WIL Coordinator as soon as possible if you have any concerns.

You must attend your placement or project for the hours agreed with your partner organisation and RMIT.

Before you start your placement or project, your WIL Coordinator will inform you of any discipline/School specific procedure related to absence. You may be absent due to illness, caring duties (anything which prevents you from attending your placement or project).

If your School does not have a specific absence procedure, you must contact your workplace supervisor by phone (if not possible, by email) before the first two hours of your shift are over.

Depending on your program, your WIL course may involve you being responsible for securing your own placement. Your WIL Coordinator will tell you whether your placement must be paid or unpaid. See Fair Work’s Student Placement Factsheet for information about unpaid placements.

Where your placement or project is unpaid, you must ensure you do not work more hours than agreed. It is illegal and you will not be insured – if you need to change your schedule, check with your WIL Coordinator.

In the event that your placement must be paid, you MUST be paid at least the minimum salary as stated by the Fair Work Australia Ombudsman. See Fair Work’s Minimum Wage Factsheet.

International students: it is important to be aware of your visa conditions regarding work. See Fair Work's International Student Factsheet for more information.

Download FairWork’s Working in Australia community presentation package which explains Australia's Workplace Laws and how they protect you.

Some partner organisations have immunisation requirements you will need to complete in order to undertake WIL activities (e.g. clinical placements in health-care settings). Sometimes placements outside Australia may require vaccinations and other medical precautions.

Some common examples include: Hepatitis A, Influenza, Whooping Cough, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Measles, Mumps, Rubella and Chickenpox. An example of a common health screenings include a Mantoux test, a screening tool for Tuberculosis.


  • You are responsible for all costs associated with meeting the immunisation and health screening costs and need to confirm the specific requirements of your partner organisation before starting your placement or project.
  • RMIT recommends you are immunised in accordance with the guidelines in the current edition of the Australian Immunisation Handbook.
  • If you do not meet the partner organisation immunisation requirements, your WIL Coordinator will make a reasonable attempt to allocate you to another organisation (if available). If no alternative placement is available you may experience difficulty progressing through your program.

The InPlace Student Portal allows RMIT students to review details of WIL activities they have been allocated, or submit details of a self-sourced placement or project or approval to the WIL Coordinator.

Your WIL Coordinator will contact you if you are required to submit your placement details on InPlace. They will provide you with information and instructions on accessing and using InPlace.

Contact the InPlace Support Team for help using the InPlace system:

Phone: 9925 5111 
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

The InPlace Student Portal allows RMIT students to review details of WIL activities they have been allocated, or submit details of a self-sourced placement or project or approval to the WIL Coordinator.

Your WIL Coordinator will contact you if you are required to submit your placement details on InPlace. They will provide you with information and instructions on accessing and using InPlace.

Contact the InPlace Support Team for help using the InPlace system:

Phone: 9925 5111 
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm

It is a legal requirement that before you commence your placement or project, you have completed and returned the relevant documentation provided to you by your WIL Coordinator. If you fail to do so, you will not be allowed to begin your placement or project; being uninsured, you put yourself, partner organisation and RMIT at risk.

There are different types of documents (including WIL Agreements and Schedules). Your WIL Coordinator will provide you with the correct documentation for you to complete.

When you undertake a placement or project, you may produce intellectual property. If you have any questions around the ownership of intellectual property, contact your WIL Coordinator before signing the documentation referred to above.

RMIT, your partner organisation and students sign these documents for each placement or project. This ensures that all roles, responsibilities and learning outcomes are agreed upon and documented.

Having completed the documentation, you are covered by RMIT’s off-campus accident insurance coverage while undertaking your placement or project. Coverage under this policy is only for ‘an unforeseen event resulting in injury’. The policy provides no coverage for sickness or pre-existing injuries.

A potential partner organisation may ask to see proof of insurance or ‘certificate of currency’ which you can request from your WIL Coordinator.

Find out more about Student accident insurance, including how to make a claim.

Your WIL coordinator can advise you if you can do your placement or project overseas. You must register your approved placement or project at least four weeks prior to departure with the Global Experience Office (GEO) on the online application portal Mobi so that you can:

  • Gain access to predeparture support offered by GEO
  • Access to RMIT’s complimentary travel insurance
  • Receive free access to the e-learning module for travel and risk awareness. The module is designed to help lower the chance of a health or security issue happening while you are studying, living or travelling overseas.
  • Receive a mobility confirmation letter where applicable (e.g. for submission to Centrelink to continue receiving allowances, to support your visa application).
  • Register with RMIT’s Global Assistance Program (provided via International SOS) which is a 24/7 resource on call, online and even on the ground to help with any medical, security and logistical questions, concerns and situations that may arise whilst overseas on placement or project.

Your registration will be reviewed by GEO and if complete, your status in the system will be changed to 'Accepted by RMIT'.

  • You must agree to the terms and conditions of an outbound student mobility program (click on the 'Commit' button).
  • Once you have completed the e-learning module, you must upload a copy of your certificate into Mobi.
  • You must enter the details of your travel including flight, passport and any additional travel insurance information into Mobi.
  • You must download the International SoS assistance app to receive up-to-date travel security analysis and medical information.

It is also recommended that you register with Smart Traveller (for Australian citizens) so that the Australian Government will know where you are should you require assistance. For other passport holders, please register with your respective government travel registration service (if available).

Financial Support Options

  • There is a range of funding available for Melbourne based students undertaking an outbound student mobility activity that is for academic credit within their RMIT program.

Overseas Programs

RIIERP provides work placements overseas to undergraduate and postgraduate students pursuing programs by coursework or research. Supervised by industry professionals, RIIERP participants complete six to twelve months placements in some of the world’s best-practice companies throughout Europe, North America and Asia.

Short term programs and global intensives are often offered in the Australian summer and winter breaks. RMIT offers places in partner university programs on an exchange (no fees) or study abroad (tuition fees payable to host) basis.

Some partner organisations require a Police Check to be completed before you commence a Work Integrated Learning (WIL) activity with them.

This may be because you will be in a position of trust such as handling large amounts of money, having access to prescription medication or working with children, the elderly and those with disabilities.

If you are required to complete a police check:

  • you must your own police check and pay the associated costs
  • you should take your certificate to the first day of placement in case you are required to present it prior to commencing with the organisation.

South Australia

Students undertaking WIL activities in South Australian schools are required to complete a Criminal History Screening.

International students

  • International students must apply for a National Police Record Check in Australia through the Australian Federal Police.
  • The partner organisation may require you provide a police certificate (with English translation) from your home country. This certificate should state any previous criminal history or specify that there are no pending, current or previous criminal charges or convictions. If you are unable to obtain a Police Check for these purposes you can complete a Statutory Declaration stating the same information.


  • RMIT is under no obligation to organise a placement for a student who does not wish to apply for a police check.

It is at the discretion of the partner organisation as to whether they choose to accept a student who has been convicted of a criminal offence. In the event that a student is rejected by a workplace the student will be advised and offered career and program counselling. Further placement options will be discussed.

Some partner organisations may require you to complete a Working With Children Check (WWCC) in order to participate in WIL.

The check focuses on specific types of offences that relate to children and assesses a person’s suitability to work with children. It is a legal requirement for those undertaking paid or voluntary child-related work in all Australian states and territories. Similar requirements may be required for placements in other countries.

  • You are required by law to list RMIT as the organisation through which you will be undertaking child-related work.
  • If you already have a WWCC for employment purposes you must add RMIT as a volunteer organisation.
  • If you pass the WWCC you will be mailed a card that is valid for 5 years unless suspended or revoked.
  • You should take your WWCC Card to the first day of placement in case you are required to present it prior to commencing with the organisation.

Note: Both volunteer and employee WWCC Cards are available. An Employee Card costs around $100 depending on where it is issued but allows you to engage in any paid or voluntary ‘child-related work’. A Volunteer Card is free but can only be used for voluntary child-related work. It is unlawful to engage in paid employment with a Volunteer card.

Negative notice

A Negative Notice is issued when it is considered that an applicant poses a risk to the safety of children. This prohibits the applicant from engaging in any child-related work even if they are directly supervised. If an applicant receives a Negative Notice, they cannot apply for another WWCC for a period of 5 years, unless their circumstances have changed.

Note: a Negative Notice may prevent you from accessing suitable WIL Activity and may delay or prevent you from satisfactorily progressing through your program.