Student insurance

RMIT provides some insurance coverage for RMIT students while they are on campus, on University sanctioned placements and global experience/exchange.

Student personal accident insurance

All enrolled full and part-time undergraduate and postgraduate students, as well as club members of RMIT University are insured while on official University activities. 

Coverage under this policy is confined to accidents which are described as “an unforeseen event resulting in injury.” The policy provides no coverage for sickness or pre-existing injury.

The scope and benefits are limited by law and cannot cover Medicare-related expenses or the Medicare gap payment. This policy is not designed to replace your private health insurance and the University recommends students acquire their own Ambulance and Private Health cover.

If you are injured while on campus, or travelling directly to or from an official University activity including Work Integrated Learning (WIL) activities, placements or internships or club activity, you may be eligible to make a claim.

For more information, email

Insurance for Work Integrated Learning (WIL), internships and placements

Students on approved WIL activities, internships and placements are covered by a variety of University insurance policies. 

Students on WIL activities should ensure that they are following all Work Integrated Learning guidelines and requirements and complete the appropriate WIL agreement. 

Your WIL agreement may call for evidence of specific insurance policies. You can find a range of Certificates of Currency below.

Common insurance for WIL activities includes Public Liability and Professional Indemnity (see below).

For more information, contact your WIL Coordinator or the appropriate WIL contact.


Students on outside, clinical or practical placement (practicum), or undertaking work experience or voluntary work are NOT covered by WorkCover or Workers compensation insurance.

Students are not employees of the University and are therefore not covered, and by law cannot be covered, under the University's WorkCover arrangement.

Students on paid internships may be covered by their host employer's WorkCover insurance and this should be clearly covered in the agreement or contracts exchanged.

Students injured whilst on campus or off campus participating in official RMIT activities such as volunteering or work placement may be eligible to claim under our Personal Accident Cover (see above).

WorkCover at RMIT is handled by HR. Contact for WorkCover enquiries and advice. 

Clinical placement and clinical trials

If you are undertaking clinical placement outside the University clinical setting, please contact to ensure you will be covered by the appropriate insurance.

If you are conducting clinical trials that have not been declared as part of the insurance renewal process, contact to ensure you will be covered by the appropriate insurance.

Student travel insurance

RMIT students travelling on an approved global experience/exchange receive complimentary travel insurance. Go to Prepare for travel for more information on how to access free travel insurance, coverage and how to make a claim.

aboriginal flag
torres strait flag

Acknowledgement of Country

RMIT University acknowledges the people of the Woi wurrung and Boon wurrung language groups of the eastern Kulin Nation on whose unceded lands we conduct the business of the University. RMIT University respectfully acknowledges their Ancestors and Elders, past and present. RMIT also acknowledges the Traditional Custodians and their Ancestors of the lands and waters across Australia where we conduct our business - Artwork 'Luwaytini' by Mark Cleaver, Palawa.