Throughout each semester, you can drop in to the Study and Learning Centre (SLC) to get help with your studies, coursework and assignments. You don’t need an appointment, just drop in at a time that suits you.
You’ll work one-to-one with expert Learning Advisors, Librarians and Student Learning Assistants who can help you with planning and writing essays, maths and science coursework, research, referencing and more.
Drop-in sessions are held at the City, Brunswick and Bundoora campuses. Check locations and times to find out when you can drop in.
A Learning Advisor can:
- help you understand the task and plan your assignment
- give feedback on your writing*
- discuss strategies to help you improve
- assist you to develop effective and critical reading skills
- refer you to helpful resources
A Maths/Science Learning Advisor can:
- help you with any maths, statistics, physics or chemistry related study or coursework
A Student Learning Assistant can:
- ask questions to help you clarify your thoughts and ideas
- share tips, study techniques and strategies
- offer advice on maths, physics and chemistry problems
- help out with basic computer skills
- direct you to workshops and resources
A Librarian can:
- help you find scholarly information for your assignment
- provide advice on developing your research skills
- refer you to online referencing resources
*Learning Advisors do not proofread, or do your work for you. However, they can help you structure your ideas and identify areas of improvement.
- The assignment question or brief.
- A hard copy of your draft, if you have started.
- Ideas about specific problems.
- Your student card or ID number.
You'll get about 20 minutes of one-to-one time with a writing Learning Advisor. After that, you’re welcome to stay in the SLC space and work independently on your task so you can come back to the Learning Advisor again if you have further questions.
Maths and science students can ask questions at any time. Just let the maths Learning Advisor know.