Student Learning Adviser Mentors (SLAMs)
What is SLAMs?
- SLAMs is a volunteer, academic mentoring program, where students who have achieved an HD or DI from your course, offer two hours per week to support your learning.
- SLAMs is a learning community where mentors support you to improve your study habits, develop interpersonal and communication skills, and make new friends and networks.
- SLAMs is a high quality student academic support service for students based on integrity, ethics and mutual respect.
What can SLAMs do for you?
- Assist you to understand any aspects of your course work that you find challenging
- Assist you to understand the requirements of assessment tasks and how to go about answering assessment tasks
- Share strategies and their experiences with you about how they tackled their courses
Benefits of coming to SLAMs
- SLAMs is for everybody – mentors will assist you to improve your academic results and achieve your goals
- Mentors will assist you to learn at your own pace in a safe and friendly environment
- Develop knowledge and understanding of course content with mentors who have already achieved a HD or DI in your course
- Studying with highly motivated and successful mentors will improve your motivation and you will become more engaged in your studies which increases your opportunities for success
- SLAMs builds a sense of belonging, where students engage with their peers (local and international) and make new friends
- SLAMs is FREE for all students
Where is SLAMs?
College of Business students: Building 80, Level 3, Room 18 (weeks 2 - 11)
College of Science Engineering & Health students: Building 8, Level 7, Rooms 51 & 153 (weeks 4 - 11)
College of Design & Social Context (School of GUSS, Media & Communications and Education) students: Building 8, Level 7, Rooms 51 & 153 (weeks 4 - 11)
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9:30 am - 5:30 pm
College of Science Engineering & Health and Education students:
Bundoora Library, Building 210, Level 3, Room 15 (weeks 4 - 11)
Opening hours: Tuesday to Thursday, 9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Building 151, Level 1, Room 2 - Activator Space (weeks 4 - 11)
Opening hours: Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Students at a SLAMs study session